BASS runs

Author
hookedonsteels
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 183
  • Reward points: 0
2010/04/29 10:08:23 (permalink)

BASS runs

I have always been intrigued with the habits/natural instincts of steelhead. Now reading some of these posts and reports I see that bass "semi-run" as well. I AM NOT ASKING FOR SPOTS. Just curious to the way and why bass come into the stream. Are they laying their eggs in the stream or is this just a pre-stage thing? I know they come into the mouths but do they,for instance, on Elk Creek, go as far up as the tubes, rte 20 or do they stay lower. Do they stay in the streams long?

No working during fishing hours
TTTTTTODAY JJUNYA

6 Replies Related Threads

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: BASS runs 2010/04/29 11:43:47 (permalink)
    They go in lay eggs and hang around until they hatch. Depending on levels they can go very far into the streams to find a good bedding area.
    DaFuNK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: BASS runs 2010/04/29 13:12:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hookedonsteels

I have always been intrigued with the habits/natural instincts of steelhead. Now reading some of these posts and reports I see that bass "semi-run" as well. I AM NOT ASKING FOR SPOTS. Just curious to the way and why bass come into the stream. Are they laying their eggs in the stream or is this just a pre-stage thing? I know they come into the mouths but do they,for instance, on Elk Creek, go as far up as the tubes, rte 20 or do they stay lower. Do they stay in the streams long?

Yes, smallmouth bass run the creeks. They make nests (little gravel pads) and yes they lay eggs. Also, they are VERY aggressive when anything gets near their nests. They stay "lower" in the streams and they stay there until about late june/july..

leeches and crawdads are your best bet in the "live-bait" department...

now GO GIT EM!

"In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"

UPDATED Antidote!
    http://antidoteusa.weebly.com
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: BASS runs 2010/04/29 15:10:58 (permalink)
    Wouldn't it be unethical to fish for spawning fish?....or is that just the precious steelhead? Just askin'

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: BASS runs 2010/04/29 15:15:03 (permalink)
    i would take all things said on this website with a grain of salt

hookedonsteels
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: BASS runs 2010/04/29 20:10:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info dafunk, that is very interesting. I have been interested in spawning cycles since I went to Alaska fishing. Thats the reason I love steelheading. I just never realized bass do that. I live around small lakes and their streams that feed them do not get a "run" of bass. As far as fishing for spawning bass, as far as I am concerned, anyone who is fishing on a boat and casting toward the shoreline, will get into the spawning nests. I just never realized they left the lake to spawn. I don't believe it is unethical. Just my opinion.

No working during fishing hours
    TTTTTTODAY JJUNYA
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: BASS runs 2010/04/29 21:06:15 (permalink)
    Correct.....if you are casting toward shore most of the Spring, at some point in time you will get into spawning fish.

IMHO, the ethical thing to do is immediately release them, especially when gobies are around. If the fish is not immediately released the nest and eggs can be decimated by panfish or gobies. The other downside of catching bedded fish is that you really tire them out during the fight, then release them, and they just don't have the energy to immediately defend the nest if predators are around.

Thousands of smallies also run into the bay (out of the lake) to spawn. Come late June or early July they go back out into the lake for summer.

It's not that bass specifically run into creeks to spawn (like steelhead or salmon do), the bass are simply looking for good habitat to spawn and some of the Erie tribs are just the ticket.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Jump to: