anyone try to get title for abandond boat

Author
jim372
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2010/04/26 14:18:58 (permalink)

anyone try to get title for abandond boat

i was given a boat that came from florida years ago and never titled in pa.
how can i get a pa title ,can i just apply for title or apply for abandond boat title.
anyone done it and how hard is it.
jim

8 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: anyone try to get title for abandond boat 2010/04/26 16:21:46 (permalink)
    The forms you need should be here: http://fishandboat.com/forms_boatreg.htm
    There was a thread not too long ago about a similar issue...but I can't seem to locate it...maybe someone else remembers?

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: anyone try to get title for abandond boat 2010/04/26 16:25:23 (permalink)
    Just be glad you need the title for the boat and not the trailer, PennDOT is a major PIA when it comes to trailer titles
    jim372
    New Angler
    RE: anyone try to get title for abandond boat 2010/04/26 16:47:07 (permalink)
    this boat is a 79 renken 2095 bowrider that need lot of work , inside striped out down to hull and volvo 120 needs replaced .
    if i try to fix it want title first.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: anyone try to get title for abandond boat 2010/04/27 01:05:32 (permalink)
    here's the link for the other thread (I hope)

http://forums.fishusa.com/m_307450/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#307468

yes, it can be done, usually, don't know what kind of wrench will be thrown into the works with it coming from out of state... and it may take a while for all the red tape to clear...
    I don't think you should make any alterations to the boat before the application process is done and you get the title...
    and as Bulldog said, the trailers are a royal PITA, I had to do it for 2 last year (one from NY and one from NJ) and was about ready to scrap them before I was done jumping through the hoops the DMV requires!
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: anyone try to get title for abandond boat 2010/04/27 06:59:32 (permalink)
    Can i ask why you need the title? I currently own three boats and only one has a title, thats because one is relitivly new i bought from a marina. The other boats do not need titles to be registered. I assume that is what you are trying to do is make the boat legal for use on the water.

The way i look at it, do not do it if it isnt necessary. You can title any boat, the state will gladly take your money, and make it more of a pain at a notery (the buyer paying more) and the state gets to make another title.

Look in to if you need a title, good chance you do not (disclaimer... i do not know your exact place with the boat, or any real details i am going off of my experences i have owned 7 boats in my life only 1 with title all registered with out a problem from the fish and boat) In fact i just last week registered a boat, no title.

I am trying to save yourself some grief, because i title does not make it legal for the water. At least look in to it, call a notery
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: anyone try to get title for abandond boat 2010/04/27 07:08:41 (permalink)
    I just looked up and seen you posted why you want the title, missed it before last post. I did not want to edit last post because it could help others reading it.

Anyway registering the boat should prove ownership, as long as the boat was not titled before you should be in the clear on this. Even if it was and last owner lost title you might be able to snake around that if you had it "gifted" or "as is" kinda deal. Like i said before call a notery and pick there brains. If you got the boat given from a deceased relitive, or given bofore the death and you did not register it in your name you might want to think beofre you speak . it is a mess with the original death cert. needed and if anyone else in the will that might have a partical ownership, real messy getting permision to get it sololy in your name.

Why does getting proper paper for boats to float have to be so hard?
    dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: anyone try to get title for abandond boat 2010/04/27 14:17:57 (permalink)
    Kind of off topic, but kind of not.  I bought a boat/trailer from Delaware and it was all legit.  Went to the notary in PA and there were no #'s engraved on the trailer.  Guess they need to verify when it changes states, even tho it was on the title.  Long story short I borrowed some metal punches and copied the numbers off of the trailer title onto a 2x4...took an eching off of that and brought it to the notary.  I heard you could use a rubbing rather than bring the entire trailer in to verify.  It worked like a charm :)
    jim372
    New Angler
    RE: anyone try to get title for abandond boat 2010/05/08 16:44:54 (permalink)
    I needed a trailer and a guy gave me the trailer but was a boat on the trailer.
    boat has no floor and volvo i/o is shot
    if i repair it over time like to be able to use it
    or be able to sell it.
    anzomcik you never titled your boats and was able to get them reg.
    dietz31684 i did same when i could not find no's to match up with one boat trailer but i used steel to stamp no's in.

Attached Image(s)

jim stitt
    Jump to: