abandoning nymphs

Author
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
  • Reward points: 0
2010/04/25 20:53:10 (permalink)

abandoning nymphs

I can honestly say that this was the first weekend I really got into fishing wets and dries subsurface, and I'm sucking hooked for the time being.

Nymphed all day friday to no avail... resorted to bugger strips to land fish, as not much was happening on the surface.

Saturday came and fish were emerging... literally propelling out of the water.  At this time, I'm throwing a small sparse 18 caddis, and pulled it under and started stripping.  Used this method throughout today as well, and did fantastic.  Pressured fish or not, this is my new go to.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee

7 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: abandoning nymphs 2010/04/25 21:13:51 (permalink)
    gonna have to give that a try sometime.. you ever tie an emerger as a dropper fished like this?
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: abandoning nymphs 2010/04/25 21:18:30 (permalink)
    stripping caddis is great have done it for years to many to tell
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: abandoning nymphs 2010/04/26 10:45:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pxatim

gonna have to give that a try sometime.. you ever tie an emerger as a dropper fished like this?

I do when I'm dead drifting, but not stripping.  I also noticed that quartering down and then stripping while it swings was more productive then casting straight upstream as I would do for a dead drift dry. 

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    Speyfish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: abandoning nymphs 2010/04/26 11:08:01 (permalink)
    Stripping caddis emergers subsurface can be a lot of fun especially when the fish are active.  I spend a lot of time on Spring Creek and right now the caddis are active.  I love seeing the trout chase the emergers right out of the water.

Dave
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: abandoning nymphs 2010/04/26 11:28:21 (permalink)
    During a caddis hatch when fish are rising heavy then become slow to rise with the bugs still on strong usually indicates they switched to feeding on the diving bugs. I usually don't change flies.. just swing the dry. That's not being lazy, it's by design. If fish start rising again but not all of them do a little grease linin. That way you're covering the fish rising and the fish eating diving bugs in one drift.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: abandoning nymphs 2010/04/26 12:49:32 (permalink)
    jim, try a small peacock soft-hackle for wet fly fishing. Endless variants, all of which are slightly different, but all work well. Some o fmy faves: simple peacock & partridge and peacock & starling. Sometimes I include a floss or tinsel tag of some color, or use some red dyed herl.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: abandoning nymphs 2010/05/08 04:58:59 (permalink)
    instead of stripping try just shaking the rod as the fly swings, works great too.
    Jump to: