Author
guyelsonwfn
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points: 0
2010/04/22 10:18:58 (permalink)

Giant tarpon on Rod and a rucksack premiere WFN 16th May

Hi,
My name is Guy Elson and I would like to invite you to watch my new documentary, "Rod and A Rucksack" which premieres on WFN on the 16th of May. I would love to know what you guys think of it and any comments would be much appreciated.

The film documents a trip to remote Nicaraguan border of Costa Rica
searching for giant Tarpon. We have great action with Tarpon bigger than a man!, aswell as Jacks, BlackfinTuna and rare wildlife footage of an endangered Greenback Turtle after laying its eggs.

The basic premise is a lonely planet style guide to adventure fishing
which incorporates elements of travel, wildlife and culture whilst on a
journey to find exotic species of fish.

This film received no funding so I am very proud that it has made it to broadcast on WFN. I am trying to get this film commissioned as a series, so if you enjoy the film please let your friends and WFN know.

Many thanks
Guy Elson

The is a trailer for the film is at
http://www.gassproductions.co.uk/showreel/broadcast/rod_ruck.html

8 Replies Related Threads

beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Giant tarpon on Rod and a rucksack premiere WFN 16th May 2010/04/22 22:30:44 (permalink)
    Guy,

I watch FSN, on my Dish network, alot. Thanks for the heads up about your documentary.
    So far in my lifetime, catching my first tarpon was my biggest(no pun intended) and most
    exciting saltwater catch. Let us all know what time it's on, May 16th. Thanks!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    guyelsonwfn
    New Angler
    RE: Giant tarpon on Rod and a rucksack premiere WFN 16th May 2010/04/23 02:22:13 (permalink)
    Hi beerman, I agree catching tarpon is a very intense and exciting experience, thanks for your mail and I will post the time and date up in the next few days, all the best guy
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Giant tarpon on Rod and a rucksack premiere WFN 16th May 2010/04/23 08:19:39 (permalink)
    After viewing the trailer I have a question: why did you gaff the huge tarpon? To keep for a mount?
    Or did you just release it? I don't have a problem with this if it's legal in the country's waters.
    Thanks for any reply!

The Beerman ~ Greg
    guyelsonwfn
    New Angler
    RE: Giant tarpon on Rod and a rucksack premiere WFN 16th May 2010/04/23 09:27:33 (permalink)
    Hi Beerman, With all the Tarpon it was catch and release. I am personally not a fan of gaffing and I wasn't happy about them gaffing the Tarpon even though it was through the mouth (which only goes through a thin membrane under the Jaw). But this is the way they do it there and I had to be respectful of that.
    All the best
    Guy
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Giant tarpon on Rod and a rucksack premiere WFN 16th May 2010/05/18 08:29:36 (permalink)
    guy,

I watched and greatly enjoyed the episode last night on WFN! Looked like an awesome trip.
    I liked the initial background about the geography and culture of the locals. I agree with you,
    it's hard to get used to using a right-hand crank reel when you're used to left-hand, haha.
    It was very late when I watched the show, so I may have missed some details. What type of bait
    were you using and basically how much time elapsed until you landed the tarpons?

Keep up the good work, I'll be watching!

The Beerman ~ Greg
    guyelsonwfn
    New Angler
    RE: Giant tarpon on Rod and a rucksack premiere WFN 16th May 2010/05/18 15:26:04 (permalink)
    Hi Beerman,
    Really pleased you enjoyed the film. We used 1oz bucktail jigs and for bait we used these long silvery fish the guys netting the prawn were getting called "mechette".
    Thanks for watching
    All the best
    Guy
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Giant tarpon on Rod and a rucksack premiere WFN 16th May 2010/05/19 13:17:22 (permalink)
    Guy,

What is the next episode about?

The Beerman ~ Greg
    guyelsonwfn
    New Angler
    RE: Giant tarpon on Rod and a rucksack premiere WFN 16th May 2010/05/19 16:13:20 (permalink)
    Hi beerman, the film is a pilot for a series we would like to make, so at present this documentary is the only one I have made. However I am presently in disscussion with a large production company that are interested in making the series so fingers crossed, and if we do get to make the series there are some really interesting location and you are likely to see me swimming with some large tiger sharks in one of the episodes. If you enjoyed the film let WFN know as I need to get them onside for the series. All the best guy
    Jump to: