Pulaski 10-7 & 10-8

Author
Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/09 14:57:46 (permalink)

Pulaski 10-7 & 10-8

Took a trip for trib fishing on 10-7 & 10-8. S.R was very busy everywhere. Fish were scattered and spooky. Tribs had very very few fish, if any. Estuary of S.R. looked like the wall at OSWEGO! Kayaks, canoes, tin boats, you name it if it floated someone was fishing from it! Shoulder to shoulder people everywhere. Fish were there in good numbers..... so were the people.

Left early on Monday due to circumstances beyond my control. Wanted to hit the river. There were T-Storms and rain in the wee hrs of the morning. Hope it brought in more fish.... We'll see. Anybody there on Monday to see if more fish run up?

PS: On a side note: Talked to a fair amount of people (locals) and all said this season is very busy for businesses if not the busiest ever. People are still going in droves, maybe more because of the low water= easy pickin's theory. A lot more people going during the week than ever before.

PS: Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just telling it the way it is told to me.....OTH

5 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Pulaski 10-7 & 10-8 2007/10/09 15:15:51 (permalink)
    Yes the snagging and ripping is very easy in this low water,so all the goons with their surf tackle are there in full force.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Pulaski 10-7 & 10-8 2007/10/09 17:10:16 (permalink)
    PA: I know I'll get blasted for saying it, but, I saw MANY MANY "liners, lifters, snaggers, rippers" what ever people want to call them, with fly poles too! Not ALL!!! But enough to say it doesn't matter if a person had heavy equipment or a 6 wt. rod. Lifters come in all shapes and sizes.

I was amazed at some of the guys I watched consistantly hook with precision, a king or coho exactly in the dorsal fin everytime.

The salmon must be trying to kill the flies with their dorsal fin out of a territorial instinct.

They were releasing the fish. OTH
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pulaski 10-7 & 10-8 2007/10/09 19:32:30 (permalink)
    O yea,some of the more skillfull lifters use the fly pole,no arguement there.It's more comical watching the yahoo rednecks with the surf rods!But,it's a shame all these ****holes don't try FISHING for them,they would be amazed how easy it is to get a fair hook up if they stand away from them and get a proper drift!
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: Pulaski 10-7 & 10-8 2007/10/09 21:18:32 (permalink)
    I'm really going out on a limb and venture that it is NOt as easy fishing for them, especially when it is crowded, and since many of these NY and PA and NJ hill folk are mostly interested in stocking up a larder, they don't care that they are ripping the fish, and would as easily adopt the old broom handle and trebles gangs of 25 years ago if they thought they could get away with it.  If they all started fishing, they would have to move out of the shallows where the fish don't take all that well any how, or the deep holes where they corral them, and might end up standing on your shoulders where you want to fish!  Some form of rotation might have to be adopted (perish the thought!) in order to accomodate all the anglers looking to fish in possible taking spots if everyone that is up there for salmon was actually fishing.  It gets tight enough in good water for steelhead when almost everyone is fishing, and there aren't nearly as many people out then.

LOL

L13
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pulaski 10-7 & 10-8 2007/10/09 22:54:21 (permalink)
    We will never know because the state will never crack down on the snagging/ripping because of the fear of losing the revenue,but if they would I venture a guess that many of these goons would never be seen again because they are n't fisherman that would try for a fair hookup.The numbers would decrease a bit and everyone could fish the right way and it would be a quality experience instead of what it is now.Of course I'm assuming there is some water to actually fish in the first place instead of what it is now.
    It's not always easy but there are times in the past that I'm into them all day and I'm not fishing the DSR,but way up.Then there are days that you have to work for a couple hits.That's why they call it fishing.
    Jump to: