• Reward points: 0
2010/04/05 12:39:48 (permalink)

Someone is getting a new Toy Soon

17 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/05 21:28:42 (permalink)

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/06 14:19:05 (permalink)
    I dont know how I missed this thread!

Can. Not. Wait.

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/07 19:29:24 (permalink)
    Me too! My new 5 wt. outfit...wanted to fish it tuesday and wednesday, but had to do spring cleaning, house remodeling with the gf...Soon!

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/07 22:39:26 (permalink)
    How do you like that Hydros?

What reel is that?
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/08 08:08:48 (permalink)
    I haven't had a chance to fish it yet, just casting it on the lawn, but I like it quite a bit. The quality of the cork is great, better than the cork on any of my other rods, and the actual shape of the handle feels really good in my hand. This really is a fast rod. Faster than my Sage Fli's, faster than the Winston Ascent, about the same as my hardy Demon. The rod really is light, but it still balances well with a fairly stocky reel. The rod I bought is a 9 foot 5 tip flex.
    The only complaint I have about the rod is the rod tube, its not the super strong PVC the way their old rod tubes were. I have an old clearwater that came in an ugly green PVC tube, but that tube was tough. I can squeeze the Hydros tube and compress it with my hand. I guess I just expect the rod tube to be more substantial.

The reel is a Dutch 2, they're made in Holland. They have a beautiful smooth drag, and I just love the way they look. International Angler in Pittsburgh has dutch reels.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/25 18:56:16 (permalink)
    It found its way home today....

Temple Fork Outfitters Finesse 1wt, 6'9"

Reel Seat: REC CRNS Nickel Silver Cap & Ring Reel Seat Stabilized Maple Burl insert

Custom Half Wells Cork Grip

REC Nickel Silver Strap & Ring Hook keeper

Fuji Titanium Frame, SiC Ring

Guides & Tip top: REC Recoil, Single Foot

Wraps  Gudebrod Olive W/ Silver Metallic Trim

Catch Plenty of fish with it Mark   I expect a Pic of the First to be posted
    post edited by Skip16503 - 2010/04/25 18:58:34

flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/25 21:24:40 (permalink)
    very nice Skip, I just built myself a 7' dan craft 1 weight a great rod & fun to fish
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/26 07:26:41 (permalink)
    Thanks again, Skip!

This rod is absolutely beautiful, the pics dont even tell half the story...I've got a Sage 3100 reel spooled with Sage Quiet DT1F ready to go. All that's left is one decision: go whack a few gills on it immediately, or wait till I can go chase wild brookies?

For anyone interested in a custom rod: from the first time I expressed an interest in acquiring a new 1wt, Skip has been a pleasure to deal with, whether talking business and the specifics of this rod, or just talking in general, he was knowledgeable and helpful every step of the way, keeping me informed as to what the status of this project was. He's definitely at the top of my list if (who am I kidding) WHEN the time comes for me to start shopping around for another custom rod. 100% recommended to any and all looking into a custom rod.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/26 08:28:10 (permalink)
    Looks pretty darn good to me, enjoy it...it's always fun fishing with something you know is YOURS.
    Speyfish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Someone is getting a new Toy Soon 2010/04/26 11:05:41 (permalink)
    What a beautiful 1 weight.  You will really enjoy using it.

Dave
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    First Outing for the 1wt 2010/04/28 07:56:17 (permalink)
    Had just a little time to kill after work yesterday, so I quickly headed over to a local pond. This place is closer to my house than any other lake or stream I normally fish, and as far as I know, I'm the only one that has permission that actually goes and fishes it, so outside of drastic weather changes, I can usually manage at least a few fish any time I go. I hoped that the pond would produce a few gills in my limited time frame, despite the chilly air and stiff breeze.

After a quick bit of UV Knotsense that I hadn't applied to my fly line loop, I attached a leader and a fly and started fishing the stimulator that I'd been using on this leader the last time it saw use. No luck. Nothing was rising at all in the wind, so I switched to a small wet fly, a #12 leadwing coachman. Before long, I felt a tug and tightened the line.

Soon after, my new 1wt landed its first fish. Not exactly the Leviathan, but lots of fun.

After this, I continued on my lap of the pond, picking up a few more gills here and there. I was almost back to where I started, and the wind was really starting to make casting a chore when I managed to lay out a fairly neat cast roughly parallel to the shore, about 2-3 feet into the water. Stripping the coachman slowly, I was rewarded by a greenish silver flash under the wind-rippled water. As I lifted to start the battle with another gill, the line pulled back violently, flexing the rod much deeper than it had for the fish before. Immediately, the bass let me know I was dealing with sterner stuff.

This battle really showed me how different a 1wt is going to be, as I'd have beached this fish within a few short moments with any of my other rods, even the 3wt that sat in its tube in the car. As I got the fish on the reel, it came to the surface, saw me move, and dove again, encouraging the Sage 3100 drag to sing a bit. After a bit more fighting, I was able to kneel down and grab the bass by the lip for a quick photo shoot and release.

All in all, it was a great first trip for the 1wt, and I cant wait to get it out again tomorrow! Sorry about the poor photo quality, I left my camera at home and had to depend on the cell for these shots.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: First Outing for the 1wt 2010/04/28 08:12:46 (permalink)
    cold, nice first feeshies. good luck with the new rod.
    looks great skip!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: First Outing for the 1wt 2010/04/28 09:13:28 (permalink)
    awesome duud.  way bigger than anything i've landed on my 1wt.

btw, spotburn! 

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Outing for the 1wt 2010/04/30 12:44:51 (permalink)
    Well, I finally got to use the 1wt for its intended purpose yesterday...kind of...

Headed into wild trout country, looking for small streams and pretty little fish. Did a lot of driving and exploring, with a big hen turkey giving me a fly-by, before finally settling on a particular stretch of water. I'd decided to use some of the classic wet flies I've been tying until I saw a decent hatch or a number of risers.

As I made my way downstream, I came upon a nice deep hole, much more substantial than anything I expected to find on this slippery little freestoner. As I swung my Ibis & White through the head of the pool, I felt a tug and had a little rainbow on the line. Before I could bring it to hand, however, he worked his way free. So close to being my first trout on the 1wt! Moving down a few feet I swung the red & white fly through the pool a few more times, then connected solidly with another fish. At first, I thought it was the same one, but it gave a head shake to let me know it was definitely not. A difficult battle (on the 1wt) ensued, and the trout took to acrobatics, jumping 4 or 5 times before finally coming to hand. Apparently, it was a stocked fish that had worked its way up this little trib from the ATW downstream. After a brief, photo-op, she went back into the water and I continued to fish (without success) for a bit longer until it got dark.

So, first trout on the 1wt falls to an Ibis & White!
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: First Outing for the 1wt 2010/04/30 13:10:27 (permalink)
    awesome duud.  hook setting with the 1wt for stockies was tricky my first time with it as well.

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Outing for the 1wt 2010/04/30 13:19:11 (permalink)
    Yeah, I missed a few on #22 caddis dries right after that fish. Then again, I was missing them on #22s last summer with the 3wt, so that one I chalk up to the hook more than the rod.

...me most of all...
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: First Outing for the 1wt 2010/04/30 16:30:36 (permalink)
    Beautiful. I'm building a two weight as we speak for just that type of scenario.
    Jump to: