Author
Steelhauler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/29 06:17:00 (permalink)

Minister/Tionesta

All,

I know this must seem like a weird question, but I'm hoping that some one will answer it for me.  Is there something other than trout to fish for on the Tionesta this time of year? If not, is it legal to fish for trout on a catch and release basis?  I know the opening day isn't until the 17th. I will be camping this weekend at Minister Creek and want to wet a line.  Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wes

7 Replies Related Threads

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Minister/Tionesta 2010/03/29 07:22:14 (permalink)
    I do not think you can fish them yet. There are also smallmouth in the Tionesta.
    slabfinder
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Minister/Tionesta 2010/03/29 08:09:48 (permalink)
    At toniesta spillway there are options I remember 10 years or so ago it was a great place to pull a stringer of crappie outta there. Muskie fishing has been good there too (2 50" tigers outta there). And I'm sure if u tried a few 1/16th oZ. W/3" twister you may see a walleye or two. .
    fruntz
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Minister/Tionesta 2010/03/29 10:36:13 (permalink)
    posted on fish commission site.  a little research goes a long way.  tons of info there.  everyone should visit it periodically

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/yearround.html

Trout Fishing Regulations

APPROVED TROUT WATERS OPEN TO YEAR-ROUND FISHING

Waters with this designation are considered “approved trout waters.” From 8 a.m. opening day of trout through Sep. 6, Commonwealth inland size and creel limits apply. From Jan. 1, through Feb. 28, and from Sep. 7, through Dec. 31, “extended season” size and creel limits apply. These waters are open to fishing from March 1 through opening day of trout season; however, no trout may be taken or possessed on these waters during this period.
    It is unlawful to fish in rivers and streams designated as approved trout waters open to year-round fishing without a current trout/salmon permit (or Combination Trout/Salmon/Lake Erie permit).
    A trout/salmon permit is not required to fish in lakes and ponds that have been designated as approved trout waters open to year-round fishing unless the person takes, kills, or possesses, while in the act of fishing, a trout or salmon on or in these waters.

FOREST
    Tionesta Creek
    – from Tionesta Dam outflow downstream
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Minister/Tionesta 2010/03/29 10:40:51 (permalink)
    Tionesta spillway has special regs for trout.  It is "Approved trout waters open to year round fishing".  YOu can fish for them year round; but you cannot harvest. 
    http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/yearround.html

the Tionesta river near minister creek , though, is approved trout water and you're not allowed in there.

all you have to do to get out of "approved trout water" is to move downstream,south of Kelletville bridge.  I don't remember off the cuff how far that is, but I'd guess maybe 15 miles or less.

you can get south of approved trout waters faster than you can get to the outflow and you wouldn't be pestered by the stocked trout.

Sorry bro, If you don't want to fish for trout,  you've got to drive out of the trout streams. (never mind that some of these "trout streams" have some pretty exciting populations of bass-pike-etc) 
    post edited by jolie - 2010/03/29 10:47:45
    flynut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Minister/Tionesta 2010/03/29 10:53:24 (permalink)
    On the tionesta creek in the Minister area there is no fishing till opening day, would like to see a delayed harvest area on Tionesta sure would help this area a little.
    Steelhauler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Minister/Tionesta 2010/03/29 11:33:34 (permalink)
    Guys,

Thanks for the info.  You probably saved me from getting in trouble.  I like fishing for trout, I just wasn't sure if I could fish in that section of river befor opening day. I'll probably fish below Kelletsville.  But if I read the regs correctly, it's pretty much closed season on everything but Muskie and pan fish.  I guess it will be a catch and release trip.  Thanks again for all of the help.

Wes
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Minister/Tionesta 2010/03/30 08:10:00 (permalink)
    i just read that minister creek is a wild brook enhancement area and is open to fishing all year round. you are never allowed to keep brook trout in this creek or tributaries, any other trout is followed by the normal inland limits.
    Summary of Pennsylvania Fishing Laws and Regulations - Wild Brook ...

i would say you can fish minister creek 'all year round' but you are not allowed to keep any trout until the opening day of trout season and never keep the brookies.
    look in the rule book under 'brook trout enhancement program'
    no fishing in tionesta creek, which applies to the approved trout waters until the first day of trout.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2010/03/30 08:12:13

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: