Kinzuavanians Out There?

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/18 11:22:42 (permalink)

Kinzuavanians Out There?

Can't help but notice that there are no Kinzua/Bradford area posts on the boards. Does anybody out there fish Kinzua Creek/West Tung DHALO areas?

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

20 Replies Related Threads

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/18 13:59:44 (permalink)
    I used to fish the Kinzua creek DHALO area quite often, but its gone downhill BIG TIME in the last three years. The bottom of the stream has been covered with a heavy orange silt off and on with little oil slicks around the rocks for a while now. The big white fly hatch isn't coming off the way it used to in August either. Maybe its in better shape now. I sure hope so, I'll be taking a trip out soon, as the DHALO area is getting stocked tomorrow.
    musky hunter906
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/18 17:04:22 (permalink)
    I have been thinking about camping and taking my boat there for a week this summer never fished it before ,would it be worth the trip?
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/19 00:19:26 (permalink)
    Water is very low and 2/3 of the ice is gone on Kinzua
    Marilla Brook had a nice flow with lightly stained water Thursday between PITT and Mutant Beach.

Kinzua is beutifull in the summer and has little boat traffic during the week.
    In PA fish Sugar Run or South of Redbridge.
    Willow Bay is an nice campground with a launch for big boats
    On the reservation fish ~!@#$% -sorry local secret.
    KInzua has little NY water, North of PA is Seneaca Reservation and requires their licence.
    post edited by pghmarty - 2010/03/23 22:12:40

dave15012
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/19 10:18:07 (permalink)
    Do you know what the cost of the Seneaca lic. is ?
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/19 10:37:32 (permalink)

this is the website for the chamber of commerce for the Olean area, license fees for the reservation are listed near the bottom of this page....

http://www.oleanny.com/26

I fished there and did well about 4 yrs ago in early May (for walleye), stayed at Willow Bay and like it OK but the campground wasn't fully functional yet so it was primitive... Willow is close to the Indian portion of the lake, so if you don't want to pay for a reservation license or NY license then you should realize you will need to go south on the lake from the campground. It is a beautiful area though.. and worth a few days just to enjoy it... and the fishing below the dam is great also.
    Karen
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/19 10:42:13 (permalink)
    hey, I was just reading more on the page I posted the link for above... I see it lists the non-resident NY fishing license at $40????? Didn't it go up to $70 this year? Maybe that site hasn't updated their rate listings yet.
    Sorry if the info isn't up to date for the costs... but the contact info should be OK to get you to the right answer. Sure isn't cheap to fish on the reservation unless you are staying at their campground!...
    again, sorry if the info in link isn't accurate for this year... I should have caught that before I posted.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/19 14:17:14 (permalink)
    $45 dollars for adults (it went up $10 from last year); $25 for juniors (10-16). There is a senior rate (65 and older), but I can't remember what it is.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/19 14:25:38 (permalink)
    No question! Lots of access, positively beautiful, and like pghmarty said, not a lot of boats through the week.

Told Dad I wanted to go to camp this weekend to fish DHALO.

"Um, your mother and I are going up this weekend...just the two of us."

Sound of slap-bass, then me vomitting.

musky hunter906
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/19 16:37:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info been thinking about cave run lake in kentucky but i have always wanted to fish kinzu thinking i might spend my week up there give it a try
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/19 18:16:36 (permalink)
    Yeah I have always wanted to try up the Zoo but never actually planned it. Also I was wondering about how good the fishing is (for any type of species)? From what I understand it's one hell of a fishery, but just curious to know what some of you guys/ladies think about it? Thanks!
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/20 00:09:44 (permalink)
    I've been going there all of my life...and I always will. With rare exception, I have never gone out fishing - be it in a stream, the reservoir, the dam - and not caught something. IMO, the streams don't get the pressure that streams "down here" get. And even during the height of the summer, despite the boats zipping up and down the reservior, the place is generally peaceful and quiet. Just a great place year-round. I can never wait to get there, and I can't stand coming home.

jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/20 01:26:10 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me, and I can always appreciate great scenery/wildlife. 
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/20 17:46:51 (permalink)
    Fished the DHALO section of Kinzua Creek today. It was stocked within the last few days, so there were quite a lot of fish throughout the section. Between the 3 people in our party we caught 18, and lost a few more. 10 on single pink egg patterns (McFly Foam Strawberry. the electric pink colored stuff), 2 on pink crystal meth, 1 on a prince nymph, 2 on a GRHB, 2 on otter's soft egg clusters,and 1 on a pink sucker spawn. We talked with guys who did well on small caddis imitations as well. Water looked awesome, a little high but just the right color. Get out and wet a line if you can.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/21 22:13:53 (permalink)
    Good report; glad it worked out for you. Next weekend for certain for me.

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/22 08:29:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mohawksyd

I've been going there all of my life...and I always will. With rare exception, I have never gone out fishing - be it in a stream, the reservoir, the dam - and not caught something. IMO, the streams don't get the pressure that streams "down here" get. And even during the height of the summer, despite the boats zipping up and down the reservior, the place is generally peaceful and quiet. Just a great place year-round. I can never wait to get there, and I can't stand coming home.

Wow!.... I too had been fishing in the area my whole life (I was raised in Marshburgh-- 6 miles from sugar bay)  and although I'll go on and on about the beautiful scenery.  I'd NEVER say, that you can just COUNT on Catching fish.  Fact is for ME, the reservoir and the river beyond it, have a flighty personality.  Somedays you just Can't catch nothing.  Its no Big secret that the zoo is relatively infertile with limited forage and ALOT of water. 

I love the enthusiasm.  its a beautiful place.  The STocked streams are truly an asset to the area and the trout fishing is significant and diverse (from tiny small streams with brookies bigger than many people would guess to the large alleghany tailwaters with its trophy brown and rainbows).   But to imply that a person would never skunk seems a bit dishonest.  I'm still bugging out about it, are you telling me, that you have regularly fished in these parts and never, ever had a "no fish" day??  

Maybe you have a boat- maybe you have some dynamite???  maybe jerminator and others whom might go to kinzua need to know that the fishing round these parts can be danged tough.  and incidentally fishing at the Zoo is Definitely harder than other places (even locally).

I'm not trying to flame.  I'm just being real, do a search about this place.  its skunked many a tourist.

too further fill in jerminator, the zoo is known locally more for the size of the fish, than its quantity.  It boasts a trophy pike, musky and walleye population.  (I believe it holds the current PA Northern pike record and the NY walleye record).   Smallmouth bass are underappreciated but more plentiful.  As I said, its not that fertile, but if you spend some time working structure, you should find something (if only a fish finder).  Keep close tabs on water levels that can change everything.  As the reservoir fills up in the spring, fish will slowly move into the arms. 

Panfish in Kinzua are few and far between but often when you find them, they are bigger than normal.  I've seen recent photos of 15" perch.  Crappies are particuarly rare.  Big trout are also present in the dam but very rare.

PghMarty knows the lake well, and he's been answering questions about it for years and years.  His general recommendations are the places to start looking.

I prefer the fishing below the dam, but I don't have a boat. so my options in the zoo are limited. 
    post edited by jolie - 2010/03/22 08:40:00
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/22 10:43:37 (permalink)
    I believe it holds the current PA Northern pike record

I was bartending in Limestone when Mike Holly caught a record pike ice fishing in the mid 80's
    Mike and my cousin's husband brought it to the bar
    He and his brother Dan were a few of the regulars at The Pourhouse

Mike still has the PA record waleye 17 lb. 9 oz. Allegheny Reservoir

PS:jolie are the leeks up yet?
    I usually pick down the road from you near ~!@#$%^ sorry locals only!
    post edited by pghmarty - 2010/03/22 10:50:07

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/22 13:51:50 (permalink)
    The delta between inference and implication can be huge. Re-read my post.

Where is the dishonesty in posting what one has personally experienced? The question was, "How good is the fishing - any type, any species?"

Personal experiences are merely that, and not the law of the land. Mine (upon which the post was based) have rarely been shy of successful. Of course, after nearly 40 years, I'm also there frequently enough to consider myself anything but a tourist...I'm more of a "quasi-local." So the words "with rare exception" are relative to what you put into it, and what your options really are. The more options you have, the more opportunities present themselves. And options mitigate challenges.

I don't need dynamite; I have options.

The reasonable man asking a general question knows that the answers he receives in this or any forum do not exculpate him from doing his own research and gaining his own experience. Nothing is absolute; if it was, I could read any Erie post and expect to land steelhead (having never tried it, having never fished a trib) like it's my job. Such belief is foolish naivety, as is any interpretation of same.

Giving anyone who reads my post the benefit of common sense, I'd like to think that relating positive experiences gained over almost four decades is enough to encourage one to make a further determination as to whether or not they want to try Kinzua for themselves. I stand behind what I wrote 100% and I encourage anyone to try the Kinzua area for themselves. If that bugs you out, well...

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/22 16:03:30 (permalink)
    Mohawksyd, peace - I'm cool.

First, I wish to just point out that Kinzua is brought up from 5-10 times a year.   the questions are usually fairly general.  Pghmarty has gotten grey hair from saying the same thing over and over.  I don't mind those questions in the slightest, its been several months since the last kinzua question!  

AND All I'm really saying is that Kinzua is not as fertile as say, shenango so your chances of landing a fish at shenango is higher.  Kinzua has a bigger forage problem than just about all surrounding lakes.  

I honestly am suprised you've caught something every day...but, I've had a chance to reread and think.  maybe your "day" is longer than the shortly 3 hour night some of my trips are.  Since I am local, I don't have to make 12 hours trips.
    I also had another thought, perhaps every little thing you catch is included.  who knows, maybe you make a point of catching something.

I'm still a little suprised if you've NEVER been skunked at kinzua.  I've talked far and wide to some dang good fishermen that HAVE been skunked from time to time.  On some days they catch some fantastic fish and that is why they go back.

Anyway "GOOD fishing" is subjective.  I'm just asking, why write from YOUR vantage point?  we already hear frustration from the tourists and grumbling about local and expert fishermen who "they say" clearly won' t give up secrets.  Why imply that this is a fantastic lake, when truth is theres a bigger than normal learning curve.  You've got the options, equiptment, skill, and experience.  You'd easily outfish me, this isn't about ego.  I just think we should temper our enthusiasm with a cautionary warning.

I leave you with this fact, I have fished many lakes and hour to hour, I caught fewer fish than in any other lake I've ever fished. 

now are we friends or not?

pghmarty, I believe you are being silly!  you know that the leaks are ready b4 the snow has thoroughly melted!  We'll lets just say its a fun time to look for leaks!  don't wait to long. they taste best when the small and the ground is still cold.

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/23 14:00:38 (permalink)
    All good.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kinzuavanians Out There? 2010/03/23 22:16:49 (permalink)
    Marilla Brook near PITT Bradford is high and very stained-probably not fishable
    Allegheny River below Kinzua Dam is high, fast and muddy-not fishable until they lower discharge rate.
    Reservoir temp reported by Bradford Error I mean ERA was 34*f 

Jump to: