Beginner Help

Author
wallydiver
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/08 17:05:50 (permalink)

Beginner Help

I just started tying. I took classes at the local flyshop and I love it. I am starting to tie smaller and I am getting a little frustrated.

My question. Is it ok to dub the thorax on a pheasant tail. On 14's and 16's I always seem to be crowding the eye with herl. With hare's ear dubbing I seem to have no problems??? I am putting some small lead wraps on the hook and it seems like the herl slides off towards the eye.

Bigger flies and streamers are a ton of fun. I am almost done with the bass swap ties.

Thanks for any advise.

Rick

2 Replies Related Threads

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Beginner Help 2010/03/08 17:40:25 (permalink)
    dub away guy

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Beginner Help 2010/03/08 17:49:52 (permalink)
    Wally,
    Without pics it's kind of hard to tell..... What size lead are ya using - For that size I usually use .020. And only wrap the lead up for the body and not into the thorax. Most likely the reason the herl is sliding toward the eye is because there may be body material tied into the thorax area and there is a slight taper left over. Then when you tie in the herl and begin to wrap it - it slides down the taper towards the eye. Just a thought and I may be wrong. My 2 cents worth---it's fine to dub the thorax on the pheasant tail nymph. That's what makes tying so great. I always thought that although there are patterns out there for ya to follow - think of them as a guideline or suggestion and be creative. And believe me...from my experience...there is no greater dubbing than hares ear for nymphs whether it be for the body or the thorax. That's the reason the Hare's Ear Nymph is such a classic and successful pattern. Above all-Don't get frustrated!!! Do what I do when I tie...listen to some Skynard and pour a cold one!!!
    post edited by steely34 - 2010/03/08 19:19:41

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Jump to: