Compara-dun

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/07 07:40:04 (permalink)

Compara-dun

Got a nice patch of deer hair from FishUSA so I thought I would try and tie some Compara-dun Dries...
Tried some #14 Drie hooks and the little one on the end is on an #18..

What is acceptable for tailing material on these ??

I have trouble keeping my dubbing tight on the thread when I wind it and end up with clumps of dubbing...Any tips ??

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

9 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Compara-dun 2010/03/07 09:07:22 (permalink)
    Very, very nice bing!!! Nice even stacking of the hair and splaying of it for the wing. Can't get any better than that. I rally cannot see any problem with the dubbing. I know what I do is dub with very little material at first - then build it from there. And as I'm dubbing on the thread, I pinch down hard when I twist (in one direction only - not back and forth). As far as the tailing, I tend to use a material called microfibbets. Comes in different colors and to split the tail - before I tie it in - I create a loop of thread around my index finger. Let it hang off the bend of the hook. Then tie in the tailing material on top of the hook. Split the material in half and pull the loop of thread up between the material. Tie off. Then continue with the fly. IMO the microfibbets are a more durable material than deer or elk becuase the hair is hollow. Moose main is solid and is another good tailing material. Just my 2 cents though - others may have a different opinion. Again --- very nice ties there my friend!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Compara-dun 2010/03/07 11:16:36 (permalink)
    microfibbets for sure.  they look more natural, more durable for sure as steely said, and mostly, it makes the tail end of the fly hang in the water more which can trigger a sip more often.  it looks like a struggling dun trying to get out of the water, which means easy catch.  deer hair will keep it's tail end out of the water, and also will break from strikes or even jsut the wind from drying it off.  good job though.  definitely nice looking flies
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Compara-dun 2010/03/07 12:40:14 (permalink)
    Nice work Bings!  For something different use a sparse amount of antron for the tail.  Gives you the Sparkle Dun.  Imitates the adult that still has the nymphal shuck still attached.

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Compara-dun 2010/03/07 13:00:59 (permalink)
    Very nice job on these, and I agree with Steely in that it is much easier to start with a very small amt. of dubbing, in fact, just enough to color the thread, its much easier to add dubbing to dubbing once a very small amt. is there. Great JOB on these
    Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Compara-dun 2010/03/08 20:27:12 (permalink)
    Nice looking flies!  For the tails you can also use the bristles from a paint brush.  They are tapered and you get alot more bang for your buck.

fly fish....save a worms life
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Compara-dun 2010/03/08 20:53:42 (permalink)
    I tie a lot of my comparas and parachutes now with a nice matching color of Z-lon.  It works as a trailing shuck.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Compara-dun 2010/03/08 22:18:58 (permalink)
    z-lon works great for a center wing post for visibility purposes on small dries...  besides, a dun's wings in reality are
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Compara-dun 2010/03/08 22:19:58 (permalink)
    ... irredescent in it's true form...
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Compara-dun 2010/03/09 19:58:22 (permalink)
    Terrific! I can see why a lot of guys swear by these. Wish mine looked that good. (Mine tended to land on their noses. Think I was getting the wing too far forward. Hafta try again.)
    Jump to: