Foam Beetle

Author
dietz31684
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 462
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/04 16:06:52 (permalink)

Foam Beetle

Any chance of somone posting a tutorial on how they tie their foam beetles?  I looked thru the tutes but found nothing...if not a full tutorial, how about just an explanation of steps/materials?
I did my usual thing of looking on youtube, but there are quite a few (a lot of which looked like crap) and since I am not even sure exactly what I want, its hard to pick one to tie.  I was hoping to keep it simple, just some craftstore foam and whatever else you may use??? 

Thanks -

I snag steelhead on the reg.

7 Replies Related Threads

slimyrock
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Foam Beetle 2010/03/05 21:48:22 (permalink)
    post edited by slimyrock - 2010/03/05 21:49:03

Some days it just doesn't pay to chew your way out of the restraints.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Foam Beetle 2010/03/06 00:59:12 (permalink)
    well... tie in your back and wing material first.  i forget the name of the stuff, but it's a woven crytally looking wrap that has woven strands of flash and nylon type material.  tie it on the hook with the length of the material  on the back end of the hook.  then tie in the foam with the length on the back of the hook.  then wrap the thread to the head of the hook. if you want to get fancy... tie in peackock hurl and wrap it to the head of the hook.  then pull the foam from the back to the head of the hook and tie it off.  clip the exces off so it has a caddis dry fly type of head.  then pull the crystal type of wrap  ( you can use  crystal flash too) over the back and to the head of the hook and tie it off with it stranding off right behind the head of the foam.  by far the best foam beetle pattern.  it works best in long deep pools in the middle of july through august.  it's great to watch browns slowly come up and sip such a pattern.  fish it in mid to late summer months underneath  a steep bank that comes down to a deep pool with a lot of tree cover on the steep bank.  gotta love it...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Foam Beetle 2010/03/06 08:22:35 (permalink)

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Foam Beetle 2010/03/06 15:29:03 (permalink)
    dietz - Don't have any more foam for these but here's another link for ya to check out in addition to the others:

http://www.swedneckflyfishing.com/foambeetle_steps.htm

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Foam Beetle 2010/03/06 19:16:09 (permalink)
    that's a nice pattern.  try the same pattern as that but with a greenish brown flash material of any sort pulled over the back tied off at the head...
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Foam Beetle 2010/03/07 09:57:26 (permalink)
    Thats how i tie em. Anyone ever try the coffee bean beetle. Tied some last year but have yet to try em.
    dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Foam Beetle 2010/03/07 19:40:42 (permalink)
    thanks for the replies and for the pm's!  I was away all weekend and just got home, cant wait to read thru everything.

thanks again
    Jump to: