Golden Fish

Author
Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/02 17:26:28 (permalink)

Golden Fish

I've been reading a lot of people requests for a decent place to eat and figured i'd give my 1/2 cents worth...

The golden fish on rt. 3 in Port Ontario was a good place to eat years ago. I haven't been in there in a number of years, has anyone eaten there lately? The broiled monkish was great in there. Really did taste and chew like lobster.
They gave you a pretty big cut also.  

Salad bar was always fresh, peas and ham and the molasses corn were great. Potato, macaroni, and cole slaw were all homemade, didn't have that store bought "tang" to it. Lettuce and veggies were never old or "brown".

Frog legs were the best I ever had. Meaty and not real tough.

If things go right, in the next few weeks I'm gonna stop in and try it. If anyone knows better, let me know if it has hanged.

11 Replies Related Threads

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/02 21:08:33 (permalink)
    Was just there this past weekend, food is good as well as the service.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/02 21:31:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. Glad to hear SOME things didn't change. OTH
    Captain Me
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/06 19:28:55 (permalink)
    I went there last weekend for the first time and the food was great!( get the fried haddock, when in Rome...)  The service was even better. I don't think there is  much better up there when it comes to food quality and service.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/06 23:21:39 (permalink)
    Good to hear about the good food at the GF.Several years ago I ordered a prime rib there and it was terrible,nothing prime about it.I have been back a few times since but did n't order the PR.Try the Rainbow Shores,it's always good.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/09 12:25:59 (permalink)
    I stopped in there to see if it was still any good. It has to be 8-10 years since I was there last.

I also had the Haddock, very good. Salad bar was as fresh as ever. Service was fast and very friendly. The menu is a little smaller on choices than it used to be....no more frog legs or monkfish.

Prices were very reasonable, didn't break my wallet. I forgot to ask if there were new owners..... anybody know? OTH
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/09 12:38:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pafisher

Good to hear about the good food at the GF.Several years ago I ordered a prime rib there and it was terrible,nothing prime about it.I have been back a few times since but did n't order the PR.Try the Rainbow Shores,it's always good.

PA, Years ago I went there, food was good. They used to have an "all you can eat" crab legs for abt $10.

They still have anything like that--- Seafood specials?

Getting a room there was an experience.  A young lady and myself went there in the early 80's for a vacation in the summer. The bed was from the early 1900's,---big old coil  springs popping up thru the bed cover. Squirrels running around in the ceiling rolling around nuts (hickory I believe). The bathroom door was a piece of plywood painted and hung about 2 & 1/2 feet off the ground. When you layed on the bed you could see clearly into the bathroom under the door and see  a.... a....a person in a very unflatteringly way...

Needless to say, she didn't care to stay. Ended up going to the Port Lodge, Jim Thousand was the owner back then and he put us up. .... We laugh about it now.  OTH
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/10/09 12:46:51
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/09 15:34:56 (permalink)
    over the hill,

My did you bring back some memories of the Rainbow Shores lodging.
    On my very first trip to Salmon Country,25 + yrs ago in the spring for lake fishing,we wound up at the RS for sleeping accomadations.Same experience as you.We **** near froze cause the heat did n't work,the shower was not running and the electric blew in the night.We fixed the electric but could n't do anything for the heat or shower.When we left I got into a heated argument and they refunded most of our money,I was ready for combat!
    Despite that experience I frequently go there for food,never had a bad meal.As far as seafood specials,they have n't been running any lately that I know of,but I only get there a few times a year.Because of the blatent snagging that I knew would occur this year I passed on Salmon Country for now.
    By the way Jim Thousand was great,it's too bad he left.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/09 17:21:56 (permalink)
    PA, glad to hear it wasn't just me who got that cabin. LOL!

Jim was a stand up guy. Never heard of where he went. Heard rumors but that's just talk. Good man, always treated our group right. When that place was built it used to be "the place to stay". New, clean, fresh linnens and towels. The floors didn't cave in like some of the DIVES we put our lives in danger to stay at.  LOL

Fishing in the spring right in front of the Rainbow Shores could be good. My buddies use to love surf fishing there in the spring with noodle rods and spinners. When the time was right, boy you could really have a ball there..... OTH
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/10/09 17:23:58
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/09 19:23:47 (permalink)
    overthehill,
    A little history on Jim's problems.His wife was killed in a snowmobile accident,sometime later he married a hot chick and things went downhill.You probabaly remember the health club venture in the basement,well she was into exercising and thought they would get big business out of that in Pulaski????A year or two later they were forclosed by the Bank and the last I heard Jim went to Florida,I really hope things got better for him 'cause,as you said,he was a stand up guy.
    By the way I still stay there,going on 20+ yrs.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/09 19:44:41 (permalink)
    I remember his wife getting killed. She was a very nice lady. I heard she hit some barbed wire while riding her sled. Not a good site. I remember the exercise venture and did hear about bankruptcy. He also had a collection of cars in the garages. 

Too bad. Hope things are better for him...

Last time I stayed there was in 1993 or '94.  It was around $50 or so a night. I was always envious of the the duck hunters blasting away in the estuary behind the hotel come October evenings. Great place to hunt waterfowl.

I moved on to other places and bounce around now whatever way the winds blows. OTH
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2007/10/09 20:58:51
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Golden Fish 2007/10/09 20:11:18 (permalink)
    One last thing on Jim Thousand.On one trip up there my friends car broke down and we had it towed to a garage.Not knowing what to do we called Jim to ask about rentals in the area.He drove to the garage and picked us up,went back to the motel and gave us a car to use until ours was repaired,no charge!......As we knew him,a stand up guy!
    Jump to: