TARGET PANIC

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/21 21:35:18 (permalink)

TARGET PANIC

I've gotten alot better at target panic in the last 3 years.3 years ago i couldn't hit a 3d target at 20 yards.I now only get it once in about every 30 to 40 shots.I wish i could get over that not sure how.I also start punching when i make a bad shot till i calm back down usally 5 or 6 shots after.I'm far from been a x shooter but i would like to shoot an average of 270 in 3d maybe i'm tryin to hard.

9 Replies Related Threads

grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: TARGET PANIC 2010/02/21 23:24:34 (permalink)
    it took me 6 years to reach a average of 598 out of 600 in dot shooting i have only shot perfect 2 times of which i am very proud of its all in your mind chicken. the best way to cure it is to walk up to your target about 2 feet away close your eyes and shoot your bow atleast 30 to 40 ti mes a day like this.it makes you feel your shot and teaches you true follow through and how to react when the bow fires. a back tension release is best to fix it but you should have no trouble with a trigger.and remember do not concentrate on your pin look at the mark that you are aiming at.i am sure you are getting the pin where you want and just punching the trigger but that will always be with you unless you learn true follow through let the pin float around and you will become a better shooter.
    grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    RE: TARGET PANIC 2010/02/22 00:51:22 (permalink)
    trying to hard is another big thing to chicken just get up ther and shoot try to think about something else
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: TARGET PANIC 2010/02/22 07:43:24 (permalink)
    Target panic is anxiety chicken. The fear of missing. Maybe you could get a crossbow.. it's just like shooting a rifle... no target panic there. Else, Grimm has it right.. up close and eyes closed. Shoot often and each time you shoot, move up close until you get it under control. Back up with each comfortable shot.

Some people have issue with admitting they have target panic. Mostly because those that do not, think you're speaking another language. Don't let it consume you. Shoot it out close.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    RE: TARGET PANIC 2010/02/22 10:53:03 (permalink)
    yes silver is right its anxiety its all in your mind just relax and make slow smooth shots with your eyes closed do not worry about shooting any other yardage practice this for atleast a week and you will be good to go
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: TARGET PANIC 2010/02/22 11:02:44 (permalink)
    It sucks to do it but i'm not sure if shooting technohunt makes this problem worse because you sometimes gotta rush your shot.I just get disgusted real easy so i think that's the biggest problem.Like i said shooting a good round then i shot first in our group at a whitetail broadsided at 22 or 24 yards i hit him in the guts wtf.I was so mad at myself after that but i couldn't take the shot back.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: TARGET PANIC 2010/02/22 14:31:32 (permalink)
    It's a continuous battle beleive me...

It still rears it's ugly head for me now and then....
    Run off a dozen 10's and then stick one in the neck or a.$$ or miss all together....

Nothing but a mind game and you need to beat it with your mind.....

Good Luck......BING

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: TARGET PANIC 2010/02/22 14:39:57 (permalink)
    I don't shoot archery, but I used to shoot competative indoor positon rifle.  Target Panic happens there too.  What I would do was to lower the rifle, open the bolt, remove the round, get completely out of the position I was in, then start the whole routine of getting back into position, start the breathing exercises, reload, lock, and try the shot again.  Fundamentally it was like a mental reboot.  The activity took my mind off the panic and going through the reset ritual put me into the frame of mind that I had started over and usually the panic was gone.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: TARGET PANIC 2010/02/22 15:09:41 (permalink)
    I found that a really smooth release (think like a great rifle trigger) and shooting with my eyes closed helped. Short really short range so you don't miss. Draw back, point to the target, close your eyes, and slowly squeeze the trigger. After a few hundred rounds your finger/hand/arm muscles will have the muscle memory in place that they will take over when you're shooting. After that, do the same but with your eyes open and not aiming at anything other than the overall target. Finally, start shooting the same at 10 yards and aiming for real.

It was really nice having a 10 yd basement range at 2 of the last places I lived.

Thanks,
    Rick
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: TARGET PANIC 2010/03/01 07:22:05 (permalink)
    No target panic yesterday on the 3d course.I shot a 275 not bad for me.
    Jump to: