Northern Challenge Report

Author
Cohookhead
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 177
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/11 19:03:32 (permalink)

Northern Challenge Report

Well my crew did the Northern Challenge at Simons Pond and man was it cold. We had only one flag, but lots of beer and great chili. It was my first time there and I enjoyed the experience. I believe the biggest pike was 12.7 something and there was not alot of fish entered compared to last year as I was told. A 10 year old won one of the quads (lucky little grub) we missed that number by 4, might as well been a million. So did anyone else here fish that tournament and do better? I might do better next year, got some inside info on where to find them on Simons.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.

7 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Northern Challenge Report 2010/02/11 19:25:10 (permalink)
    My buddy and I fished it. Had 5 flags with no fish. Only fish we caught was a perch that my buddy got as he went to fix a tip-up that was leaning, didn't even trip the flag. Met some cool people though. The group we set up next to was from Ithaca. When they saw us hand drilling through that two foot of ice, they came over with the gas auger and cut all our holes. The guys on the other side were from Ontario. Saw EagleEd, EagleCrg and Dakota Man there too. Had met Ed before and was good to meet EagleCrg and Dakota Man. Ed saw my Vikings coat and just had to come over and bust my chops. Only thing I didn't care for was some of the guys near us were letting their kids (9 or 10 years old) play on the 4 wheelers and were running in and out of everyones tip-up lines. Felt a little beat up after it was all over but was a pretty good time.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    craveman85
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Northern Challenge Report 2010/02/11 20:19:18 (permalink)
    wow finally some life on this forum.  had to work but sounds like i didnt miss much action.

if at first you dont succeed... blow it up.

you want organic? well then shut the &^$() up and eat a *$&#*( squirrel.
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Northern Challenge Report 2010/02/11 21:24:34 (permalink)
    Craveman:

Eagle Crg, Dakotaman and I were there at 5:20am to claim the turf that we set up the day before.  Fortunately we had a nice heater in the Clam Shell to keep us fairly warm, but we froze our hands all day replacing bait on our tip-ups.  There were pike caught all around us, but only one winner at 3 lbs. 2 ozs. for a 3rd place $100.
    Stayed through Monday, but only fished Sunday during the afternoon on a private lake without too much luck there either.  Were going to fish Lake Eaton on the way home, but decided it was too cold and windy.
    10 year old kid won one of the four-wheelers as the other one went to another guy.  We didn't win anything in the raffle/the 50-50s or any of the hourly fish contests.  Next year we may just enter and hope to win something in the raffle or the 50-50 without fishing like many of the locals do.  Didn't seem to be as many fishing this year as in the past and the guy weighing fish said the fish caught prior to 8am were the fewest he has seen weighed in at the time in years.
    Did want to say that it is a great tournament with quality people running it!

Eagle Ed

Eagle Ed
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Northern Challenge Report 2010/02/11 21:25:32 (permalink)
    EagleEd, Dakota and I struck out on the fish.  Only got 2 flags due to wind, but was glad to get even that action.  Yes, it was really cold.  I understand that all the better fish came from way up the lake where the water is deeper.  Their prizes that they gave out were nothing like in the past.  EagleEd heard someone from the club up there giving one of the promoters (responsible for gathering prizes) a rough time because they didn't think he did a very good job.  Compared with past years, I'd agree.  On the return trip, I stopped at Moffitt's Beach (state campground) on Sacandaga Lake (not the Great Sacandaga) and checked on access.  They have the road plowed right up to the lake with easy access for walking or by 4 wheeler or snowmobile right off the beach.  EagleEd, Dakota and I hope to make a trip there in a few weeks.  There are trout, LL Salmon and Walleye in there as well as bass.  Not sure what panfish might be in there but it would be a good destination for someone to try.
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    RE: Northern Challenge Report 2010/02/13 20:19:10 (permalink)
    Yeah thankfully our group rented a cabin on simons, it was good for the warmups. I hope I didn't tick anyone off though a few times I got crossed up with my snowmobile and found myself in a mine field of tip-ups. In that case I went real slow and watched for equipment being thrown at me.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Northern Challenge Report 2010/02/14 08:12:32 (permalink)
    Donnie:

If that was you going through our mine field of tip-ups and set off a flag we want to thank you.  It was the only action we got all day other than the wind flags.  Pike caught all around us, but none by us.
    Next year we party on shore and wait for the raffle!

Eagle Ed
    ORIGINAL: Cohookhead

Yeah thankfully our group rented a cabin on simons, it was good for the warmups. I hope I didn't tick anyone off though a few times I got crossed up with my snowmobile and found myself in a mine field of tip-ups. In that case I went real slow and watched for equipment being thrown at me.
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    RE: Northern Challenge Report 2010/02/17 20:23:34 (permalink)
    Sounds like deal Ed, sure would've been warmer

Jump to: