Classic Wet Flies: Kate McLaren

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/10 23:26:17 (permalink)

Classic Wet Flies: Kate McLaren

This one's a Scottish pattern. This first tie doesn't really do it justice, but I'll be making another attempt at it in the future.

4 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Classic Wet Flies: Kate McLaren 2010/02/11 04:08:21 (permalink)
    Nice Cold - GPT for the tail I assume? Kind of looks and I guess would fish like a short w. bugger. Should be a killer.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Classic Wet Flies: Kate McLaren 2010/02/11 07:06:56 (permalink)
    GPC, actually, which is a material I've been struggling with. Ideally, there should be more of an upturn in that tail, but I couldn't really get it to do that.

The websites I'd read indicated that it makes a great "bob" fly in a "team of three" rig, which I can only assume is half again as large as one of our tandem rigs.
    Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Classic Wet Flies: Kate McLaren 2010/02/11 20:17:33 (permalink)
    Your heads are getting a lot nicer!  Keep up the good work.  One way to get the crest to curve upward is to wet the feather then stick it on a drinking glass and let dry.  The feather will take a "set" to the shape of the glass, which will curve upward.

fly fish....save a worms life
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Classic Wet Flies: Kate McLaren 2010/02/12 07:08:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, Ken! Actually, the crest has plenty of curve to it already, though that may indeed help it set. Its just when I tie it in, the pressure of the thread binding it to the hook makes it almost completely straight. It's pretty frustrating, because they're such beautiful feathers!
    Jump to: