Impressionistic vs realistic?

Author
6 wt swing
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/09 20:41:08 (permalink)

Impressionistic vs realistic?

After seeing so many different styles of flies, tying so many differing styles, do you feel your more impressionistic or realistic with your style?

For instance, I tend to be impressionistic.  I do not strive for match the hatch.  This is also due to limited dry fly tying.  I tie patriots.  I tie woolies, marabou speys, sucker spawn etc. All are real impressionistic.
Things just look fishy.
Are you Realistic or Impressionistic????????

19 Replies Related Threads

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/10 10:33:47 (permalink)
    Both. It depends on the fishing. When I'm fishing the white fly hatch, I use a realistic dry fly tied to match that exact insect. The same with some other notable hatches, Brown Drakes for one. Mostly I'm fishing impressionistic flies when searching, or when the fish aren't obviously keyed into a single insect. The same goes for nymphing, to a slightly lesser degree. I fish some realistic stonefly nymphs and caddis, but there again I'm more or less searching likely runs with a realistic pattern.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/10 11:10:02 (permalink)
    i would rather dry fly with more realistic, true fly patterns to match the hatch. such as a sulfur, blue quills, hendrickson's etc. than an attractor fly pattern such as an adams, stimulator of royal coachman. i believe that more wary trout that have been in the water for years knows the hatches and are more likely to take a more looking natural than an attractor. with that being said that's just my view.
    as far as beneath the water, i think if it looks buggy enough you'll have a good chance to hook up. i like march brown nymphs, caddis pupa's and albino stonefly nymphs as naturals, as attractors i start with hares ear prince nymphs, pheasant tails most often.
    i can't spin deer hair norcare to practice, my woolly buggers, thundercreeks and now triple threats are my go to streamers.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/10 11:41:26 (permalink)
    I think this is pretty subjective as far as what you consider impressionistic and realistic. For example: I fished an emergent sparkle caddis to great effect late last summer and into early fall. If you hold one beside the natural, its clear to see it looks nothing like the bug. Still, it represents a very specific stage of a particular insect, and incorporates a style and material that reproduces the key triggers for trout to feed on that insect. So...is that impressionistic or realistic?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/10 13:13:52 (permalink)
    I tie for production!!

I fish way too much to spend loads of time making "realistic" patterns. I keep it as simple as possible and stick to patterns that represent a number of different bugs for the most part.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/10 15:10:43 (permalink)
    I tie flies that catch fish.

Trout don't give 2 craps about a copper wire that is spaced too close to the other or a stray feather fiber.

Most of the guys that tie flies that are perfect and throw away the ones that aren't either want the ooooh ahhh effect to post pictures and stroke their egos, while some guys are just plain sick with the tying tools and couldn't mess up if they tried.  I commend everyones flies on here because no matter a slight imperfection, they will get the same feeling bringing a fish to hand with a fly they made, no matter how it looks.

Moral of the story is, Trout Don't Care.
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/10 15:51:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Loomis

Moral of the story is, Trout Don't Care.

bingo!
    it's the carp flies that need minute detail.

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/10 16:53:34 (permalink)
    I think size, proportion, general color are important. But not always crucial. I once read a Famous Fly Fisherman who urged less worry about exact imitation and focus instead on the thought that -- whatever is tied to the end of the leader -- you are feeding the fish.

Imitation can be easily taken to the point of irrelevant imho. An angler examing an #18 Adams in a vise under a lamp is seeing an object that's quite a bit different than the trout seeing it moving under water and having to make a quick decision whether to eat it or wait for the next one.

So all in all I'd say I'm of the guide fly impressionist school of thought, possibly with a lazy streak, and in agreement with advice to feed the fly to the fish.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/10 20:56:03 (permalink)
    Another thought: why are you tying the fly that's in your vise right now? To go catch a fish is the obvious answer, but to many, tying is more than just throwing some fur and feathers on a hook to go fool a fish. For me, while I certainly tie my share of "fishing flies", I also have gotten into some classic patterns that, while I will fish them, I'm tying more for me than for the fish. These are patterns that are impressionistic, however, the exact pattern has been set in stone to the point that you need to take care and use the proper technique to get it right.

Is it necessary to have 5 evenly spaced tinsel wraps on your streamer to catch a fish? I should say not! But When I'm tying them, I'll re-wrap that tinsel 3...4...10 times till I get it as evenly as I can determine. Why? Because that fly is for me not the fish. And while I do take pride in my work when I get the occasional fly that turns out well, I don't post my flies to boost my own ego...much to the contrary, I take pictures so that other, more knowledgeable tiers can take a look at what I've done and make suggestions to improve my tying.

Also, the visual stimulation of seeing a fly another tied is far more inspiring that reading a text description of the same fly. I've lost count of the times that one picture of a fly has sparked a flurry of activity from the tiers on a message board, which resulted in a lot of great flies, and exchange of information, and hopefully, lots of learning.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/10 21:19:17 (permalink)
    Cold - Very well said.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/11 13:06:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anchke

I think size, proportion, general color are important. But not always crucial. I once read a Famous Fly Fisherman who urged less worry about exact imitation and focus instead on the thought that -- whatever is tied to the end of the leader -- you are feeding the fish.

Imitation can be easily taken to the point of irrelevant imho. An angler examing an #18 Adams in a vise under a lamp is seeing an object that's quite a bit different than the trout seeing it moving under water and having to make a quick decision whether to eat it or wait for the next one.

So all in all I'd say I'm of the guide fly impressionist school of thought, possibly with a lazy streak, and in agreement with advice to feed the fly to the fish.

on slow moving waters the wary trout has more time to examine the fly so you better have pretty close to the right imitation, size fly and ties correctly. imo
    i've seen it. been there, done that!

"i think size, proportion, general color are important. But not always crucial."
    you are right but i strive for the size, proportion, and general color in the vice and first cast. this is why i mostly tie exact imitations than attractors.
    tying a near perfect fly is like building a rod, we all know that a fish doesn't care about one uneven wrap or hanging fiber, they also don't care about what kind of an expensive or great looking rod you're using. it's not all about egos, more like self satisfaction and gratification!
    let's face it, if you are presenting your accomplishment to an audience we all want to present the best looking most perfect fly or rod, it just makes good sense.

post edited by doubletaper - 2010/02/11 13:30:16

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/11 14:28:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

And after all of the discussion on perfection, realism and exact copies we can deduce nothing except that a fly that is well tattered, slimed and torn seem to be the best producers...I believe trout feed on the weak and crippled, therefore my ties should be just fine.

lol. i think the lazy, wounded fish eat the weak and crippled looking imitations. the better fish eat the more perfected imitations
    you wouldn't eat a steak that looks like it was drug on the floor or stepped on would you?

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/11 15:08:10 (permalink)
    I said MOST guys post out of egotism, not all.  Most of the tying sites that I visit have braggarts on there, given there flies look nice, and they may like them, but the trout do not care.

Thats the point I was trying to get across.

6 wt swing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/11 20:23:13 (permalink)
    Confidence comes into play as well.  I have some truly strange creations that are impressions of what i think a fish should bite.  then i have some-especially for steel that are nothing at all like a natural but conditions sometimes equal confidence in the colors etc.  I have some natural looking woolies and eggs that look better than the real thing.  Confidence helps.  But I will say that I am making an effort to use different flies just because they are different.              
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/12 16:33:15 (permalink)
    DT interestingly observed:
    >>>if you are presenting your accomplishment to an audience we all want to present the best looking most perfect fly or rod, it just makes good sense.<<<

I admire the work of a competent craftsman. But one thing that bugs me a little about my brother fly fishers is the tendency to give grades to any and all equipment others might be using. It's one thing to state an opinion if asked. I'd say it's also ok to ask someone if they'd like my .02. But in general, I'm on the stream to enjoy my time, not to invite judgment from folks. On stream lectures are kinda annoying to me, especially if people are a little slow on the uptake about desisting.

I'm not talking about on a forum, where different opinions are being actively sought and should be welcomed. Participants are getting the benefit of others hard earned experience, and a respectful tone is in order.

I think the distinction between imitation, impression and atrractors is very useful. But I'd say any fly within those descriptors can be tied in a craftsmanlike way. An impressionistic fly, I'd say, is not just a poorly tied imitation.

That's just my .02 for the afternoon.

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/13 04:35:40 (permalink)
    It's a strange thing. My tying is very much like my handwriting. Very methodical, but messy, and not at all easy on the eyes. Without drafting tools, I can't draw a stick figure that isn't laughable. In the same vein, my flies are pretty goofy looking. I admire the good tiers, and am downright envious of the guys that can tie those stunning imitations.

I don't know how mine would be classified other than technically correct, but not quite what they should be.

troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/15 17:33:33 (permalink)
    i like dennis's take on the whole thing , i will add that DT ties some really good looking flys and pays great attention to detail and his catch rate reflects a well tied fly and a good drift , they have to go hand in hand or one is no good without the other. i am new to tying but i always find myself wanting to make the flys larger and meatyier (if thats a word) to catch bigger fish , but i am slowly getting the proportions down pat.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/15 18:10:25 (permalink)
    I like to think that the time spent at the bench is a personal thing and what ever is created there should be done so in a way that gives the tyer his own personal sence of accompishment and what should be viewed with pride. But along with that, I have come to realize that this pasttime that we call tying has such a tremendous learning curve. There are so many different directions we can go with our tools and to learn all the techniques needed to master all the patterns for trout, spey, classic, saltwater, ect. ... well I think it would take longer than we have in one lifetime. For me, I tend to be very critical of my own personal tying. There are times when I am tying a difficult pattern such as a classic salmon or wet fly and something may not be right. I'll get frustrated, cut the thread from the bobbin and just start over. But that's me being critical of me. I know I've been on other forums and sites, and like anchke said - have been on the stream and have heard others being critical of others patterns. I know I have never read on this forum any critical comments on someone else's tie. Only words of encouragement and that is what is great about the folks here. Tying is a serious and strong passion of mine - one that I enjoy tremendously. When things are not quite in line with my life, I know that there is a place where I can go - put a Skynard cd in - and loose myself in whatever I'm about to try and create. Like DT mentioned, I feel there are times when trout that have been pressured will turn off a fly that is not the correct size or color. So I have tied imitations that I try and match these - But I also tie those that are way off the natural. And there are times when they are the ones that save the day...go figure that one out! So in reality... for me...Impressionistic/Realistic?... it's all good in my mind. But that's just me and I'm far from being the expert.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/16 10:47:54 (permalink)
    maybe i sounded pretty harsh and i didn't mean to offend anyone elses comments. i think we have a great fly tying forum with the info and advice we share.
    i don't visit other fly tying forums so i wasn't aware people brag about how well they tie to boost their own ego. so i'm sorry if i came off kinda sarcastic.
    anchke, i am also on the stream to enjoy myself. i only give my opinion through my experience. i feel i'm more of a traditional tyer and don't go for all the glitter, artificial material and such. i hunt so a lot of my material are free; furs, feathers etc. i tan my own hides also. i don't down grade people that mostly use attractor patterns, it's a matter of choice. no hard feelings. a lot of different flies will catch trout at any given time as we all know.
    i've come across a lot of fly guys who don't use dries very often. they comment it's too hard to figure out the hatch colors and style with fly patterns. i know some guys that will only use an adams dry or a caddis and if the fish won't take it they go deep. i was only commenting what i prefer to tie and use, being that i have been fly fishing and tying flies for so long i come to my own conclusion what works most of the time and works best for me.
    i don't consider myself an expert by any means.
    i've fished with some great nymph fishermen for trout from this sight such as anadromous and 270wbmag  to name just a couple. these guys work a stream and are as knowlegable and dedicated to nymph fishing as i with dry fly. so when i add my opinion on dry fly tying it is from this point of view of my own experience and dedication.
    ( i think steely's ties are way more perfected than mine are!)
    sometimes things written are taken the wrong way. we all seen this happen on other threads.
    all's good!!   make'em rise ~dt

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: Impressionistic vs realistic? 2010/02/16 17:46:14 (permalink)
    DT -- I didn't mean to be critical of you at all. I picked up a minor part of your post which connected with one of my pet peeves astream. I'm a native Pennsylvanian living under protest in Connecticut. Some (a few?) CT anglers are quite brand conscious and quite eager to offer unsolicited (and often misinformed) critiques of your stuff. So my pet peeves about angling yuppies may not even apply to your experience back in Pa. Anyway, sorry if I made you collateral damage. And thanks for the very helpful info I find in your posts.
    Jump to: