No access to Lake Lonely

Author
Wisdom
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 374
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/27 18:22:32 (permalink)

No access to Lake Lonely

Took a hike down the nature trail out to Lake Lonely today. Found the end of the trail flooded with 10 to 15 yards of foot deep water. The ice is still up to the shore but no way to get to it. With the forecast calling for colder weather it shouldn't take long for it to freeze up. Maybe by the weekend or beginning of the week.
                                        Tight Lines...Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com

7 Replies Related Threads

Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: No access to Lake Lonely 2010/01/27 18:38:30 (permalink)
    wow. that makes me nervous for tomorrows trip. any idea on some of the local lakes such as glass burden crooked...?
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: No access to Lake Lonely 2010/01/27 18:58:02 (permalink)
    We ended up fishing Saratoga Lake off Fitch Road. Ice was about 7-8 inches but run off has clouded the water to the color of coffee until you get about 200 yards from shore. There was a permanent shanty a couple hundred yards out from the mouth of Fish Creek that had tipped and sunk about 45 degrees into the ice and refroze. It took a chain saw, 2 snowmobiles and about 2 hours to get it out. There were people on Fish Creek by the state launch but there was a couple feet of water by shore you had to go through to get on the ice. I'd say anywhere you plan on going be sure to check for reports first.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    wolfhunter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: No access to Lake Lonely 2010/01/29 16:20:58 (permalink)
    Please keep up the posts on lake lonely and saratoga ice conditions, I want to take road trip there, but i want to make sure there is safe ice don't want to go through the ice anymore! the water is cold. (lakeview ontario) I fished saratoga two weeks ago and did good on bass, pickerel to 24" one small northern and perch. Lots of fun. I would post pics if i could figure out how to post them any help would be appreciated   
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: No access to Lake Lonely 2010/01/29 20:30:51 (permalink)
    wolf:

Both lakes should be fine after our very cold weather the past few days.  Windchill last night was -10 and tonight it was very cold.  Must be catching something on Lake Lonely as I saw nine vehicle parked there on the day we had a driving rain storm. 
    Saratoga Lake is finally picking up around Fitch Road and off the mouth of Kaydeross Creek.  Also, heard they were catching some nice pike up on Putnam Pond, but that is further North of here.

Eagle Ed
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: No access to Lake Lonely 2010/02/04 09:09:04 (permalink)
    Went past Lonely on our way to Saratoga Lake yesterday; saw a couple people out on Lonely so I guess there is access now. Saratoga on the other hand is getting a little beat up, the creek by the launch isn't pretty after the rescue drills the other day. Was open from the front of the launch to the other side by the marina but should be fine if you head toward Lee's or the other side of the bridge. A HUGE pressure ridge has formed out toward the middle of the main lake running from one side by the sand bar near Manning's to just south of Fitch Rd. on the other side. The ice is a good foot thick but saw more and more closed pressure cracks as we got out farther. It is getting later in the season so as always be safe out there.
               Tight Lines... Cheers

craveman85
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: No access to Lake Lonely 2010/02/04 10:46:59 (permalink)
    jeese you guys dont get much ice out there do you?

if at first you dont succeed... blow it up.

you want organic? well then shut the &^$() up and eat a *$&#*( squirrel.
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: No access to Lake Lonely 2010/02/04 12:46:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: craveman85

jeese you guys dont get much ice out there do you?

We get plenty of ice, just the last 2 years we also got warm spells with temps in the 50s; really causes the ice to stress. Last year a warm spell caused a few trucks parked on the ice at LG to go through.

Jump to: