Baitcasting combo - Heavy - mostly lures

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9691
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/23 10:54:06 (permalink)

Baitcasting combo - Heavy - mostly lures

After reading the spinning vs. bait cast thread, I am looking to get a heavy bait cast combo.  I am looking for something to handle 5lb wipers - 20lb+ red drum / surf stripers / possible musky or even cats.  Casting anything from a 1/4oz or so popper to a 2-3oz surf casting spoon or even some large cut or live baits, but have some surf spinning combos for that. 

I'm kind of on a budget, so would like to stay under $100, but would consider up to $150-$200 if I saved for a while.  I've used some cheaper bait casters and old conventional reels, and spent just as much time untangling as fishing, so imagine the price had something to do with that.

My guess would be something in the 7'-9' range.  Heavy or possibly MH action.  Primarily casting lures.  Line it with approx 20lb line and use leaders if casting for the toothy critters.

Should I stick to the salt water series, if it is going to get a good bit of surf action (4-5 trips per year)?  I'd probably use it just about as much in freshwater.  I have a few pretty good M action spinning combos that are suffice for 1-2lb small/large mouth up to the 8-9lb larger wipers that I run into.

Oh yeah, I am looking at a 2 piece, since I would use it for work travel, which is how I make it to the beach.  My vacations are usually long weekends to Moraine or Pymy if I'm lucky! 

I used to use a 2 piece 7' spinning rod for this, but casted my top section into the surf at Sandy Hook, NJ!!!  Of course, the fish started busting along the shore line 15 minutes after I casted it off!

Thanks in advance.
post edited by Porktown - 2010/01/23 11:20:44

7 Replies Related Threads

AK22
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Baitcasting combo - Heavy - mostly lures 2010/01/28 16:03:03 (permalink)
    Its pretty hard to find one combo that will do everything you have listed. For larger freshwater fish a 7ft mh casting rod will work on wiper/ bass/ medium cats / pike. Gander Mountain makes some decent rods for not a ton of cash i also like fenwicks.

But if you want to seriously fish for musky it usually requires specialized tackle Such as a heavy duty casting reel with 50#and up braided line and a specialized musky rod. Real serious musky fisherman will have more than one musky rod a shorter stiffer rod for jerk baits and a longer rod 7 plus ft with a softer tip that is used to throw bucktails.

I know for stripers in the ocean anglers use a pretty long rod that can cast a weight a long distance.

A good reel for not too much money is the Abu C3 series or reels. They have a good carbon matrix  drag pretty durable gears and have a 6 pin centrifugal break system that use a series of break collars to control the reel while casting. The breaks are more of a pain to adjust on the abu's then other reels though i usually just set them at 2 and leave most of the time. The 6500 is larger than the 5500 and also has a clicker and higher line capacity but dont handle lighter weight as well.

A reel that i have never used but looks decent for a cheaper reel is the Daiwa millionaire I think its like 60 bucks but iv never used on so cant comment. You usually get what you pay for though a 60 dollar reel wont be a 200 dollar reel.

If you are looking for a strong lowpro reel the shimano curado 300 series are very good and can handle bigger fish, the D series were going for around 100 bucks at gander mt lately dont know if any are left the E series replaced it and is a good bit more cash.

Shimano's are very good reels but might be out of your price range. Maybe look at the Pfluger trion round reels i have heard some ok reviews on them but have never fished them.

Also todays baitcasters are easier to cast then older ones just takes some practice and an educated thumb.

Hope i helped you out some.
    Javelin
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Baitcasting combo - Heavy - mostly lures 2010/01/28 16:31:36 (permalink)
    I would put most of your money into the reel, cheap baitcasting reels don't last long !

Shimano citica is 119 in cabelas, or a cardiff, then buy a cheap stiff rod.

post edited by Javelin - 2010/01/28 16:37:22
    Stcroixsteelie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Baitcasting combo - Heavy - mostly lures 2010/01/30 11:33:01 (permalink)
    Javelin said it right if you skimp on a reel it will come back to bite you.  You can get a pretty good casting reel for around 100 just clean grease and oil it once a year and you shouldn't have any issues.  It's going to be tough to find one rod that would cover that range for all of those applications.  It is also hard to find a good two piece casting rod. What you might want to check out is a heavy flipping stick for bass and that should cover a lot of what you want.  They don't sell too many 2pc ones but they do have them that telescope down into the butt shortening it from 8ft to about 5ft.  St. Croix has several good options but its going to be more than what you want to spend.  Good luck to ya!
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Baitcasting combo - Heavy - mostly lures 2010/01/30 20:43:00 (permalink)
    Rods, you can get a 6' heavy action Ugly Stick for like $25 now I know you want a two piece though.

Reels, I really like Abu Garcias 6500 with the clicker maybe $70 now? Filled it up with 15lb big game mono and caught cats up to 17lbs on it with a few carp up to 25lbs over the last few years and it's still going strong.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9691
    RE: Baitcasting combo - Heavy - mostly lures 2010/01/30 20:49:34 (permalink)
    Cool.  This is pretty much what I had expected (needing multiple set ups).  I should have thought that, since it is the case with a spinning set up too...  I'll probably hold off, since I'll be looking at the heavier end, which is likely more expensive.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a reel, and just toss on a rod if I find something.

Thanks for the input.
    Stcroixsteelie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Baitcasting combo - Heavy - mostly lures 2010/01/31 16:10:17 (permalink)
    I use the abu 6500's on my musky gear they are great reels for the price just keep good maintenance on them.  They run about 90.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Baitcasting combo - Heavy - mostly lures 2010/02/02 06:18:15 (permalink)
    I'd go with the Ugly-stix & Abu! Line & setting reel to individual lure weights, with practice, will eliminate most back-lash problems.
    Jump to: