fiberglass rods

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/23 09:31:13 (permalink)

fiberglass rods

does any still use glass spinning or casting rods anymore?  was looking on ebay and saw some nice old stuff.  

2 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9689
    RE: fiberglass rods 2010/01/23 11:04:57 (permalink)
    I like them for fishing live bait, for the fish that need to play with a bait for a little while (river eyes).  They seem to be a good bit more slower action than most graphite rods.  I'm sure there are some graphite composites that are the same, just don't seem to be carried that much.  I broke one of my most trusted rods a year or two ago (glass).  I bought it at KMart for $5, and was my river staple rod.  I felt confident casting just about anything and fighting just about anything.  I replaced it with a ML graphite, as slow action that I could find.  I don't have the same confidence toss anything besides pan fish/trout to smaller bass baits.  Maybe it was paying $70-80 instead of $5 though...
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: fiberglass rods 2010/01/23 13:18:17 (permalink)
    Good glass rods are still very useful tools. They caught fish 50 years ago and they will catch fish today. If you see something on e-bay that you like, , , buy it! We, as fishermen have become convinved that if you don't have the latest thing that the paid product shills on the shows are using then we just aren't getting it done. Buy what you like and fish how you like. I know a guy who fishes with a bait casting reel, on and old boat rod and he does just fine with it. He knows his equipment, he knows what he wants and he succeeds. If you want to put a closed face spinning reel on a fly rod and call it a switched-noodle, and it works, then use it!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: