Another Mountain Lion in Pa

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/01 16:38:57 (permalink)
the only bears and samsquatches in erie are at the legion hole... everyone knows that
CougarMan
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/03 20:27:52 (permalink)
This site also de-bunked the supposed PA cougar kill in Butler Co./Westmoreland Co./Allegheny Co./Eastern Ohio
http://easterncougar.org/CougarNews/?p=1436

Some points:

1. Any "wild" mountain lion seen in PA would be considered an eastern cougar (Puma concolor couguar) and would therefore be an endangered species and highly illegal to shoot. If this were indeed the case, doubt if the PGC would just show up, take a few pics, then leave after telling the parties to "be quiet about it." The shooter(s) would be facing hefty fines, and the discovery of a legit eastern cougar in the wild would generate much excitement in the scientific community, as well as headlines around the nation.

2. If there are indeed wild mountain lions in PA, then why no bona fide attacks on humans? In the west, particularly California, there are occasional attacks, even fatalities on humans by wild cougars. However, no recorded attacks on humans by wild cougars in PA, or any other eastern state for that matter, in modern times. Are these supposed wild cougars roaming all over PA just pacifists or something?

3. Why no photos on trail cameras? Cougars have now been confirmed in the states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the upper peninsula of Michigan by photos found on trail cameras. Are these mystic PA mountain lions just that much smarter than those now found in MN, WI, and MI that they can manage to avoid ALL of the trail cameras in PA?

4. Why no carcasses? Even the Florida Panther, which is numbered around 100 animals at MOST is hit along the highways quite frequently. In fact, 2009 saw a record 17 number of Florida Panthers hit along the highways of south Florida. There are also a few that are shot each year either deliberately or accidentally, but manage to be recovered. If there have been these sightings all over PA for the past several decades, then why have there been ZERO carcasses recovered? You'd think that over the past 40 years or so, at least ONE legit wild cougar carcass would've turned up somewhere, if they were indeed roaming Penn's Woods.

5. "Black helicopter" PA Game Commission theories abound. I've heard that the PGC, in cooperation with the insurance industry, has a "top-secret" program that has been releasing cougars, coyotes, wolves, etc. into the wilds of PA for some years now. Of course, this is to control the deer population and thus reduce deer-car collisions and save the insurance companies money. If this is true, then where is the paper trail? Who do the PGC/insurance companies buy these cougars from? Why is there no public record of the state legislature approving such a program? I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the PGC right now (antler restrictions ring a bell?), but c'mon folks...even the CIA isn't THAT secretive! To increase profits, the insurance industry buys police radar guns...it doesn't buy the PGC cougars!!!

6. Black panther sightings. There has never been a confirmed black cougar in recorded history. Any large black cat would be a melanistic jaguar, which does not even live in North America. If a so-called black panther is sighted, then it is undoubtedly an escaped captive that is not of North American origin.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/10 02:32:27 (permalink)
Cougar Man

Several rebuttals,

1. The Eastern Cougar is extinct, that is generally agreed on, so an appearance here in PA would more than likely be a Western, which would not make it an endangered species. The ones in michigan are not considered eastern's so what would make one found here automatically an eastern, more likely a released pet, or migrated western.

2. Human attacks in CA occur in areas where cougar populations are unchecked because of the ban on hunting. Populations have grown and now many home ranges overlap with areas of human activity.

3. My guess on the lack of trail camera sightings is that the habitat we are talking about for cougars is probably the wooded lightly populated areas of the state. most of the trail cams are not located in these remote locations.

4. Have you ever tried to purposely hit a house cat with your car? It is not easy probably the most difficult mammal to hit with a vehicle. This combined with the fact that if we are discussing a population it is probably less than 10 animals, maybe less than 5 in the entire state. With little competition for territory an animal would not be forced into as much human contact as it would in areas with higher populations.

5. The PGC doesn't even have enough money to run registration for the youth field days this summer so I am not buying the introduction theory either.

6. When the PGC changed thier position last year from "They are not here" , to "There is not a breeding population", that means they have some evidence of them.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/12 09:08:23 (permalink)
I agree, I think the text is BS as well. But i do believe we have them here in Pa. I talked to a PAGC warden while I was in the Poconos a few years ago and he said he has seen them personally. The GC won't admit that we have them officially, but why would a GC warden lie about it, of course it was off the record, but still why would he make it up ?
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/12 09:51:42 (permalink)
Anytime I see a mountain lion in Pa , while I have a rifle in my hands, it will be an endangered species. We can check for western or eastern later.......WF
CougarMan
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/15 15:58:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Cougar Man

Several rebuttals,

1. The Eastern Cougar is extinct, that is generally agreed on, so an appearance here in PA would more than likely be a Western, which would not make it an endangered species. The ones in michigan are not considered eastern's so what would make one found here automatically an eastern, more likely a released pet, or migrated western.

I agree with you about eastern cougars probably being extinct and any found here being of the western variety.  However, the law still makes no distinction between the two, if a truly wild one (of either taxonomy) is ever indeed found in PA.  Here is what the Eastern Cougar Foundation has to say about this topic:

Eastern cougars (now known as Puma concolor couguar) and the Florida panther (now known as Puma concolor coryi) are fully protected under the Endangered Species Act. Because no one can visually distinguish these subspecies from other possible cougar subspecies in the woods, and because even DNA analysis cannot define a genetic profile for the eastern cougar subspecies, all cougars living wild in the east must be considered protected under the Act from all harm and harassment.

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr2. Human attacks in CA occur in areas where cougar populations are unchecked because of the ban on hunting. Populations have grown and now many home ranges overlap with areas of human activity.

Very true.  Many naturalists consider the increasing frequency of cougar attacks in California and other western states in recent years to be a result of humans encroaching on cougar territory.

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr3. My guess on the lack of trail camera sightings is that the habitat we are talking about for cougars is probably the wooded lightly populated areas of the state. most of the trail cams are not located in these remote locations.

The Eastern Cougar Foundation placed trail cameras for a study in several eastern states, with the hope that at least one would capture what would appear to be a wild cougar living in the east.  Unfortunately, none of them documented anything of the sort.  Even if these cougars were to somehow evade all of the trail cameras in PA, I'd be willing to bet that if there were indeed wild eastern cougars living at least somewhere in the east, these trail cameras would have picked up something.  After all, the cougars in Michigan and Wisconsin probably number less than 10 individuals total, but they managed to be photographed on trail cameras.  

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr4. Have you ever tried to purposely hit a house cat with your car? It is not easy probably the most difficult mammal to hit with a vehicle. This combined with the fact that if we are discussing a population it is probably less than 10 animals, maybe less than 5 in the entire state. With little competition for territory an animal would not be forced into as much human contact as it would in areas with higher populations.

Even if the figures you cite were accurate, I'd think that in the last say 50 years or so, we would have at least ONE carcass show up somewhere in the state of a bona fide wild eastern cougar. 

And no, I have never tried to hit a house cat with my car!

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr5. The PGC doesn't even have enough money to run registration for the youth field days this summer so I am not buying the introduction theory either.

If the PGC were to re-introduce cougars in the state, they would not only announce it publicly, they would undoubtedly try to profit off it as well!  Similar to the elk hunting raffle sham that they introduced several years back, I could see them doing something similar, only charging hundreds of dollars to even participate in a "drawing" for cougar hunting licenses, which of course would cost an arm and a leg too.  If there's a way to make money off of it, the PGC comes through better than a used car salesman!

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr6. When the PGC changed thier position last year from "They are not here" , to "There is not a breeding population", that means they have some evidence of them.

Is there evidence of cougars in PA?  Perhaps.  Evidence of truly wild cougars in PA? No.  The PGC has never denied the existence of cougars in this state, only the existence of wild ones.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/15 16:20:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CougarMan

Cougar Man

Several rebuttals,

Here is what the Eastern Cougar Foundation has to say about this topic:

Eastern cougars (now known as Puma concolor couguar) and the Florida panther (now known as Puma concolor coryi) are fully protected under the Endangered Species Act. Because no one can visually distinguish these subspecies from other possible cougar subspecies in the woods, and because even DNA analysis cannot define a genetic profile for the eastern cougar subspecies, all cougars living wild in the east must be considered protected under the Act from all harm and harassment.

And no, I have never tried to hit a house cat with my car!

The PGC has never denied the existence of cougars in this state, only the existence of wild ones.

Unfortunatley the Eastern Cougar Foundation does not have the final say. It is what the US Fish & Wildlife service thinks that matters when it comes to weather you will be charged with shooting an Federally Endangered Species. USFWS lists two seperate subspecies Eastern & Western.

Easteren is endangerd western is not. That does not mean that a western cougar in PA is not protected, just not by the USFWS.

Second you should be trying to hit house cats, they are putting a big part of the hit on our small game populations.

And actually if you search the Pgc website, they spent several years saying that there were none, before they came to thier senses and reworded thier responses.

CougarMan
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/15 16:47:01 (permalink)

Unfortunatley the Eastern Cougar Foundation does not have the final say. It is what the US Fish & Wildlife service thinks that matters when it comes to weather you will be charged with shooting an Federally Endangered Species. USFWS lists two seperate subspecies Eastern & Western.

Easteren is endangerd western is not. That does not mean that a western cougar in PA is not protected, just not by the USFWS.

The only way that you would not be in some hot water if you shot a cougar in PA would be because of one of the following:

1. The USFWS eventually decides to de-list the eastern cougar from the endangered species list because either they a). consider it completely extinct, or b). merge the eastern cougar along with the western cougar and Florida panther into a single North American cougar species, which of course would not be endangered because of the thriving population out west.

2. The cougar is a known escapee from captivity, as with what happened in 1967 in Crawford County, where a special "cougar hunt" was conducted to kill two non-native cougars that escaped from an enclosure in nearby Ohio. 

Second you should be trying to hit house cats, they are putting a big part of the hit on our small game populations.

The fact that you apparently try to kill people's pet cats is completely absurd.  I have been a farmer for years, and have kept cats in my barn for both pets and to control the rat population.  Besides the companionship they have provided for my wife and I, they have undoubtedly saved us thousands of dollars over the years in grain being eaten by rats.  If I ever found someone deliberately trying to kill my cats, this person would become an endangered species all to himself.

Besides...by your logic, don't dogs wreak more harm on wildlife than house cats ever have?  Do you spend your time driving around trying to kill people's pet dogs as well?

And actually if you search the Pgc website, they spent several years saying that there were none, before they came to thier senses and reworded thier responses.

As I said, if the PGC did indeed change their official stance on cougars in PA, it had nothing to do with the sudden appearance of wild cougars in the state.  It would be because they now recognize that there are escaped pet cougars out there.
post edited by CougarMan - 2010/02/15 16:50:17
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/15 17:11:28 (permalink)
Cougar man we pretty much have the same feelings regarding cougars here. Other than I don't think it is a stretch to think that if they are in michigan or other places that it is not strange that they be found here. I personally found tracks 4 years ago and have seen none since.

Regarding house cats.

The discovery channel ran a special where ordinary house cats were turned loose outside for a night they were tracked with various devices.

The results showed that the average HOUSE cat makes 23 kills a night of birds & small mammals.

Go listen to Dr. Walt Carson, the University of Pittsburgh's premier wildlife biologist and he will give you three keys to helping wildlife in PA.

1. Smokey the bear was wrong (we need wildfires)
2 Kill bambi (he felt deer poplations were too high in the 90's)
3. Kill you neighbors cat.

Cats around the farm do good things however once they control the rat & mice populations small game is next.

heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/15 17:45:39 (permalink)
you can find all kinds of nittany lions in state college, pa... i dont know why they're endangered
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/15 19:08:48 (permalink)
Cats around the farm do good things..

Yeah like hang around your house at night, p!ss on your **** door, and **** on the yard...

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/15 20:46:50 (permalink)
My grandfather who was a WCO used to say there is nothing a cat can do that .50c worth of decon can't do better without the loss of songbirds and small game. That was nearly 60 years ago so the .50c is a bit low today.
dick bush
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/17 20:01:17 (permalink)
My father saw a cougar in warren over 30 years ago. I haven't heard of a reliable sighting since then.

I spent a couple of years in CO. I met a really down to earth mountain man out there. He had a passion for Mt. lions. He had 6 hounds and the boxes in his truck to carry them. He took me out a couple times. We drove these crazy Mt. back"roads" all day. At about 11 am on our third trip, the dogs went nuts. We pulled over and turned them loose. Almost 4 hours(and the most exhausting hike of my life) later we caught up to the dogs. They had treed a 4 yr old(estimated) male. He then proceeded to set his rifle down and produce a very nice camera from his backpack. He took photos for a half hour or so, then we left.
I asked what was wrong with the lion and why he didn't shoot it. He explained that he had only ever shot one. He spent years hunting them and raising hounds before he ever treed one. Apparently, upon killing such an ellusive and magnificent quarry, he didn't think he could stomach it again. He went on to describe the "magic" the natives believe the great cats held and how he had adopted these beliefs. He was now more than happy just to admire them in person. It was more about the hunt than the kill I suppose.
I understood what he meant after seeing that huge cat 40 or 50 feet up the tree snarling down at those dogs knowing it could kill any one of them if the others wheren't around. It truely is an impressive and awe inspiring animal. I don't think being shot out of a tree with taunting dogs howling below would have been a fitting end to such a creature.
When I was in SD after CO, dog hunting lions was illegal. They used preditor calls and decoys, which seems a little more sporting. I don't know if I could shoot one or not, but I would definately love to see one in the wild again.
Here's to hoping there are some left. It's really humbling to think we might not be the best hunters in the wood.
CougarMan
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/20 13:59:25 (permalink)
Great post,****bush, and I'm glad that you recognize that not all sportsmen need to have the hide hanging on their wall as proof that they truly enjoy the sport!!
TheBIGTrout
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/22 16:25:55 (permalink)
There are NO Mountain Lions in PA! I agree with CougarMan, not enough evidence! I also agree with him on shooting Cats AND dogs! I shoot all that come on to my property. To many strays and all they do is damage!!
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/22 19:38:44 (permalink)
Best first post ever.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
bigtrout4x4
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/24 09:52:04 (permalink)
hey bigtrout,,,  are you agreeing to disagree, or disagreing to agree?           read his post again--he will make you extinct if you shoot his cats!!
TheBIGTrout
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/24 11:55:34 (permalink)
I said it before and I will say it again I SHOOT ALL CATS AND DOGS THAT COME ON MY PROPERTY!! All they do is damage.
CougarMan
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/24 13:33:38 (permalink)
I NEVER said that either cats or dogs should be shot!! All I said was that if someone thinks that cats should be eradicated because of the supposed damage they do to the environment, then dogs should suffer the same fate, right? Of course...I did not expect anyone to agree with this ridiculous statement.
However, little did I know that somebody would actually not only agree with this statement, but also practice this! I should've known this place would attract those kinds of people.
post edited by CougarMan - 2010/02/24 13:34:15
TheBIGTrout
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/25 16:12:59 (permalink)
CougarMan,
I have a right to protect my property. I agree with you Muskymastr on the cats, and you on the dogs. Shoot them!
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/25 16:42:07 (permalink)
What kind of damage do said cats and dogs do to your property?

Is it legal to kill any cat or dog that crosses onto your property?
Spicoli
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/25 18:59:55 (permalink)
Don't worry...I don't really think those guys kill cats.  After all, how else would they get any p*ssy???
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/25 19:57:06 (permalink)
http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/4251/ogan1.PDF

Pay particular attention to the feeding habits section.

TheBIGTrout
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/26 08:42:42 (permalink)
TheDrake,
Perfectly legal. The get into trash, kill and disturb my animal, tear apart things on my property. I had them get into my barn and tear apart insulation and other things I had in storage there.

MuskyMastr,
Thank you! Very informative!
TheBIGTrout
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/26 08:44:26 (permalink)
Thedrake,
And on top of all that doing thier bussiness on our lawn. Makes a big mess.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/26 09:11:07 (permalink)
Feral cats are a problem....
You shoot my dog cause he crapped on your back 40 and you would have a huge problem..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

TheBIGTrout
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/26 09:57:41 (permalink)
bingsbaits, if you keep you dog under control there is no risk.
I chase them away for crapping, but if they do worse damage or bother (or kill) the animals.....sorry gotta go. If your dog does serious damage to my property or my animals then there is a "huge problem". With Dogs its different, I understand. I give them a little leeway. But repeated offenders that appear to be strays have to be stopped.
rollcaster
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1091
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/26 11:03:06 (permalink)
Sounds like you need to find yourself a hobby or a new hobby.
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/26 11:34:47 (permalink)
Big Trout,
Copied from the regs book

"If you shoot a dog that is not attacking a big game animal you could be subject to prosecution under the Crimes Code, may be required to defend your action in a court of law, and be liable for restitution to the owner".

I agree cats are a threat to wildlife, especially birds.  However, if the neighbors dog or cat is in your garbage and you are seen shooting it, you may be in some trouble.

TheBIGTrout
New Angler
RE: Another Mountain Lion in Pa 2010/02/26 12:50:06 (permalink)
And what about dogs that do serious damage to MY property and MY animals? Not big game animals, im talkig about live stock.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: