2010/01/14 09:54:35 (permalink)

Anyone want some deer?

i live in Allegheny Co and have a crazy neighbor who is feeding deer
there are now about 15 of them

i briefly spoke with the game commission
sounds like 50yrs from a house or within that range when permitted by owner
they are fair game

well here is my permission
hell i'll even give you some coffee while you here and some beer after you take one of these F-ers out

i HAVE NOT read the laws and I don't hunt
so if this is in violation of any laws... disregard

send me a PM
come take a look
i have a 1/2 acre on a long lot that should help with distance laws

25 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 11:22:44 (permalink)
    I've got half dozen yotes left in my pens. The commission cancelled the last shipment, said they had enough. I can drop them off if you like.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 12:24:38 (permalink)
    You should ask the pgc to stock a mountain lion. They do that, ya know.

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 12:55:54 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, that would be in violation.  If the neighbor is deliberately feeding them, then they are being baited.  Shooting them anywhere along their route to the bait pile would be considered hunting over bait, regardless of the distance. 
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 12:59:28 (permalink)
    How do you know the deer you shot wasn't headed to a bait station? I bet every deer shot by bow in St. Clair, Bethel, Peters, and many other suburban neighborhoods was fed by somebody. Is planting a garden or a Mulberry tree in your yard baiting deer? Who cares...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 13:34:38 (permalink)
    Who cares??? When you shoot one, the neighbor who was feeding them calls the PGC and you get a knock on your door, You care.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 13:45:24 (permalink)
    the PGC gave me the idea of archery hunting

i would love for the lady to see i deer die or a nice pile of blood
    then she will stop feeding these things

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 13:59:34 (permalink)
    My old neighbor used to feed the raccoons. He should have gone to jail for that. Especially with all the dogs in my neighborhood. But, don't worry, I took care of it. One metal trap, one cargo blanket, and one 1995 Mazada B4000 tailpipe later, all the coons were gone... I wonder what happened???
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2010/01/14 14:00:06

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 15:01:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: griffon

Unfortunately, that would be in violation.  If the neighbor is deliberately feeding them, then they are being baited.  Shooting them anywhere along their route to the bait pile would be considered hunting over bait, regardless of the distance. 

There is a maximum distance that you need to be beyond in order to be legal. It is probably farther away than KLHs property, but it is a set distance from the bait.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 15:06:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KJH807

i live in Allegheny Co and have a crazy neighbor who is feeding deer
    there are now about 15 of them

i briefly spoke with the game commission
    sounds like 50yrs from a house or within that range when permitted by owner
    they are fair game

well here is my permission
    hell i'll even give you some coffee while you here and some beer after you take one of these F-ers out

i HAVE NOT read the laws and I don't hunt
    so if this is in violation of any laws... disregard

send me a PM
    come take a look
    i have a 1/2 acre on a long lot that should help with distance laws

You in the eastern end of the county? Does she bait them all year? I'm pretty much done hunting for the year, but if you need some help next archery season, I may give it a shot. As long as you are far enough away from the bait for everything to be legal. I got no qualms about shooting does in 2B either. I'm always interested in getting permission to hunt new properties.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 15:22:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

ORIGINAL: griffon

There is a maximum distance that you need to be beyond in order to be legal. It is probably farther away than KLHs property, but it is a set distance from the bait.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a set distance.   If a WCO can determine the deer was there (in this case where a hunter shot it) was because of baiting, they can fine you.   Stomach contents can give that away.   That said, there's alot of gray area there too.    For instance, if the guy in the bottoms is baiting on private property and I'm up 500 yards from it on state property, with no knowledge of the baiting occuring.. how can I be fined from shooting a deer ?

Wishy washy I'd say.    It's all about interpretation.

Years ago I found some good buck sign in a popular spot about three weeks before the opener.   Hunted it the first morning.   Pulled in just before another guy and was asked if I was hunting the saddle.   Hunted until 11 am and stumbled on some APPLES 50 yards from my tree.   Same thing happened years ago in another area close with a huge salt lick.   I even hunted the trail headed to it !   I asked my local WCO about these instances last year -- she just laughed.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 15:31:52 (permalink)
    Kype is correct, there is no set distance as per the commanding officer of the PGC in the SWPA region.  If you are deemed to be hunting over bait and charged, you will lose.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 16:37:45 (permalink)
    A friend was detained, 10 years ago , archery hunting, for 6 hours for "hunting over bait" The bait was apples,dumped at the edge of the landowners yard. He was around 250 yards from the "bait". The wardens reoeatedly asked where the salt block was. Upon his release, he was not fined but was told not to hunt there again because it was on a trail that leads to the yard where the apples were. Take the story as you want to.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 20:52:24 (permalink)
    Just get a crossbow. I "hear" they are all the rage, in covert hunting situations.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/14 21:59:22 (permalink)
    Guys, didn't he say the PGC gave him the idea to try archery hunting?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/15 07:45:16 (permalink)
    I think so DD.    It does not surprise me when WCO A says one thing and WCO B says another.  There are lots of topics that are "gray"... however, I see none in this instance.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/15 08:19:35 (permalink)
    Well---The PGC has one of the most aggressive law enforcement divisions in the state. Maybe they are drumming up business. One guy tells you something is legal and notifys his partner who waits for you to do it and busts you. That aside, you are just asking for trouble by hunting anywhere near an area where food is being put out for deer.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/15 12:32:27 (permalink)
    Archery hunting would be the ticket there but the baiting issue comes into play.  As many mentioned it is a gray area for sure.  If the landowners around you are not so happy to have someone in there shooting their pets, and  WCO steps in, all bets are off.

With that being said, in many areas of the SRA, the deer are coming or going to bait in the form of birdfeeders, apples, corn, salt etc....  IMO, the local WCO should show all of the discretion possible to allow the harvest of animals from these areas.  These areas need thinned big time and legal hunting is the way to do it. 

I would hope that if the "bait" is not on the property you are hunting, and you have permission to be there or written permission to hunt in the safety zone, the harvesting of deer would be allowed.  But I would want to be sure before you harvest the animal or risk a fine.

Tough call on small parcels like this. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/15 12:44:01 (permalink)
    Your really at the mercy of the WCO as deer will travel long distances to get preferred food. I tracked a small herd I felt contained a good buck for over a mile from a corn field in late season before I quit them. They never knew I was behind them and I never saw them. A couple of the ones I am feeding in my yard bed two hills over from me.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/15 14:58:11 (permalink)
    So, if I'm against hunting, all I have to do is put a pile of bait out on my property and that automatically makes it illegal for other property owners around me to hunt their lands because the deer there are eating from my bait pile?
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/15 15:09:19 (permalink)
    Said to say but there are people that do it every year then call to report the violation.  Hopefully, discretion is used but you are at the mercy of others to make the determination. 

It is a gray area that has caused alot of trouble for many folks. 

I have to admit I was semi-concerned when I called the PGC to help recover my buck this year.  Many feed deer year round in this area and it is not hard to find cobs of corn without their kernels in the woods that the critters have carried from feeders and such.... Salt blocks in many yards.

The WCO checked my story and investigated the kill site and everything was cool.  Great experience. 

post edited by dpms - 2010/01/15 15:15:40

My rifle is a black rifle
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/15 18:43:15 (permalink)
    DD, I do know 1 landowner that did that.No one was fined that I know of however the wardens were caled on at least 3 friends hunting in that area.
    woodcock43
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/18 06:29:44 (permalink)
    Yeah  would be glad to l help you out .The season ends Saturday the 23rd .Shoot me an e-mail kurigew@yahoo.com ...Thanks
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/18 10:09:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

So, if I'm against hunting, all I have to do is put a pile of bait out on my property and that automatically makes it illegal for other property owners around me to hunt their lands because the deer there are eating from my bait pile?

It is happening to duck hunters near Missoula, MT

http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/article_032a9d84-d97e-11de-a5a9-001cc4c002e0.html
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/19 00:31:13 (permalink)
    guess he thinks "It's hip to be square"!

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Anyone want some deer? 2010/01/19 07:31:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rsquared

duck hunters

rsquared, someone did the same at Glade Mills lake in south butler county. The piled up old loaves of sliced bread from some bakery a couple of days before the early goose season. The word was the area was not "baited" and it would be illegal to hunt. There were four or five piles of it two feet high, and about three feet across..
    Anyway, one of the local die hards went out with garbage bags and picked the stuff up and hunted anyway, as did a bunch of people from what I heard.

I have to wonder how this would play out if it ever went to the point of LOE action. Could the person who did this be cited for littering, or interfering with a hunt? Would the guy who gets there before light opening morning and never sees the stuff get cited for hunting a baited area? Donno...

post edited by Blowchowski - 2010/01/19 07:32:14

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Jump to: