Ellis Cove

Author
PAtrout
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/21 12:08:40 (permalink)

Ellis Cove

Anybody have any info for the Ellis Cove area ????

15 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/22 07:17:13 (permalink)
    I like fishing there but Metalslayer told me I should fish lower. I will find more Salmon willing to bite.
    Just thought I'd pass that on.

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/23 06:13:31 (permalink)
    So low it's sad--maybe on a weekday,but the circus is in town right now.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    JWicky
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/24 12:03:49 (permalink)
    What type of info you looking for???    There really isn't anything going on up there right now.  The water is super low.  Maybe a fish moving through here and there but nothing serious.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/27 20:18:17 (permalink)
    My newest addition is from last year,bought a new okuma  ds-s 902 L action 4 to 8 wt. steelhead rod. I like this  9 ft combo'd with a sustain 4000 with 15lb clear berkley mono, Is this sufficient for kings or should I be looking for a  beefier H action spinning rod say 12 to 25wt. ?  thanks in advance
    post edited by backin79 - 2007/09/27 20:23:34
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/27 20:56:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: backin79

My newest addition is from last year,bought a new okuma  ds-s 902 L action 4 to 8 wt. steelhead rod. I like this  9 ft combo'd with a sustain 4000 with 15lb clear berkley mono, Is this sufficient for kings or should I be looking for a  beefier H action spinning rod say 12 to 25wt. ?  thanks in advance

UMMMM To Fish @ Ellis Cove?
    Anyhow- 15 lb @ the hook? Too heavy. 10# @ the hook is all you need.
    Anything less will take too long to get them in quickly without breaking, anything more is too heavy to break off if fouled.
    Even Metalslayer agrees with me on that. In fact we discussed this in the Twilight Zone once... LMAO!

Lyrical
    Dave B.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/28 04:47:28 (permalink)
    Yup, gotta agree with SalmoTrutta on this one. I run a 10lb main line and use either 8 or 10 lb leader on all my noodles. Anything heavier is really not neccessary and actually has a lot of disadvantages, especially in such low water conditions as we presently have.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/28 20:53:17 (permalink)
    I meant 15 for main line and of coarse a leader goes without saying.. I always use a #10#12 barrel for all my rigs except flyfishing. I'm a catskill trout regular for well over 20 years, just been so long since I hooked a SR salmon.. quite honestly well over ten years! I can enjoy sportfishing big salmon once again. Last year me and fishing partner left fishless but still had a good time watching a few others catch nice fish. That SR is unique and somewhat gives a fishermen a sense of an alaskan kinda experience in the wooded areas away from the town bridge etc. We used spinning outfits and I purchased a guide series IM8 9 ft. okuma last season at Fat Nancys for 80.00 bucks. It is a fast tip sensitive Light action steelhead rod for egging and I guess it will handle a king on SR.Last year was using it with my 4000stradic 12lb. main barreled to a 10lb fluoro leader and I used 8lb later in the day trying to drift for spooky fish! and/or any steels or bows but it was tough. We both ended skunked for those two days we had enjoyed later part of last oct. It was beautiful sunny warm fall weather and nice water at ellis cove.. Enjoy fishing all those pocket eddies along that stretch and would like to fish it later again this oct. I guess I was trying to find out more about a quality salmon rod aside from flyrods.. I know most SR regulars swear by those (SR)flyroddin technics, honestly do not want to buy a flyrod yet for salmon river salmon. I will shop a few tackle outfitters again and of coarse like shoes never buy online! I know in the colder season I would much rather use spinning outfits anyway. Knowing to avoid the salmon season crowd, is knowing how to enjoy a memorable SR trip especialy during clear and low stream flow conditions.  I'm going to try a few days during midweek  later part of oct. hopefully the fish will not be stacked waiting for rain/ or water releases this year. I always try to avoid those crowded lots too. have fun this season!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/28 21:47:46 (permalink)
    79 and everyone else I'll be up Oct. 21-23. Sorry if I misunderstood your post. I don't know much about spinning gear. I have a Rhino rod with a 333 reel I bought for fishing when we're at the beach. It's rated 12-15 lb line and I know it would get a King in. It managed a HUGE Skate no prob.. I drag it along Salmon fishing, but never used it there.

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/28 21:57:16 (permalink)
    I generally try to take the last 2 weeks of Oct off--the leaf hatch can be quite a pain--less so up river.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    Dave B.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/09/29 00:52:45 (permalink)
    Backin79, I'll try to give a little detail but bear in mind these are just my personal preferences. As I mentioned I have only noodles (no FF in SR wts). All my rods are rated for either 8, 10, or 14 lb max line wt. They range in length from 8'6" up to 10'6". In fact 1 is actually a crappie pole rated for 8lb max, but even though I'm running a 10lb main line when you allow for knot strength loss you really aren't over-lining the rod.
     The reasons I use such fairly light action rods are mainly for both light weight(a whole day or week of fishing can take it's toll on your arms!) and for making good light tackle presentations, especially during low water situations.(hint hint!)
     For reels I have 4 which are all in the 2.5 to 3.0 range. What I mean by that is reels that are in the 250/2500 and 300/3000 series, the actual number depending on the manufacturer. I mainly look for certain features in a reel, those primarily being line capacity, number of SS bearings, retreive ratio, and most importantly a good quality very smooth drag! Can't say enough about that last item, but I'm sure there's no need to go into any detail as it's pretty much self-explanitory. For retrieve ratios I only go with reels having a minimum or 4.5-1 but prefer more around 5.1-1. Being able to quickly recover line when a big chromer has done an 'about-face' and come screaming back up-river past you after having already made a 50 yard dash down river is kinda important.

Also regarding swivels, I use the smallest possible which is pretty small given the light line weights in use, and because I don't like any more added weight than is neccesary to make a good drift/presentation.

Hope this helps, and sorry about being a bit long-winded.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/10/02 23:42:46 (permalink)
    Hey, just came back from catskills and fished a bit of the resi. caught one small brown slow row trolling between 50-60ft of water I guess mid way down it hit (released unharmed). Took an erie 3/8 oz. deary tipped with a 3"gulp alive smelt. I figured a single hook and blade action along with this new tech bait will be easier catch release and on the fishys mouths! Leaning away from  those **** trebles awhile! lol.. hopefully these gulp prove better than live bait, with the $ and the disease,receipt game rules etc.  I am going to test this gulp out for awhile. It does seem to work as I caught a smallie on the stuff using a 4 worm hook and slip float ( just still fishing)! I do not like the plastic bucket berkley packs these in, the lid leaks.. so I quickly improvised using an empty cleaned oregano plastic seasoning container, filled it with the stuff and put a dozen or so of these things and it is very convenient carrying this way instead. I use a planar soft pack for trailing about and so the less a bucket of bait and the lighter the tackle now gets the go much easier. My new planar soft pack stetching is falling apart already! WTF? lol hopefuly this is due to manufacture defect and not the chinese messing with my head again! lol ..( got to call them and report this conspircy asp) where's hls when you need them? Where is my patriot actors!!!!! lol..Anyway it was slow fishing as is usually the case in the early fall. Correction on the specifications of my okuma rod I had stored away upstate, turns out it is a 9'6" guide seriesML action rated for 6 to 12 lb. line so you know this is what i 'll be using should I get a chance on the SR this oct. or early nov. season. Got a few roe browns earlier this year and zipped locked some nice roe in borak for egg tying in the weeks ahead! Dave, thanks for sharing some tackle tips.. I believe #14 is the smallest barrel made and I do Use them as well esp. for line shy steelies. RAN OUT OF THOSE LIL ONES! LOL..I will stock up when I get up there again.I always like light and small too. I'm always try keeping up with the latest quality performance gear. What I will bring this fall are my 2000 and 4000 stradics and my 4000 sustain shimanos. For rods I have my okuma 9'6" rated 6 to 12lb test line and my shimano 7' spinrod rated for 12 to 20lb test line. Probably spool up with fireline and extra spool of flouro berkley between 8 and 10lb tests. I always use barrels and a flourocarbon leader material from 4 to 8 maybe 10 or 12 for those bigger fish. It depends on which stretch  of water the flow the amount of fishing pressure etc.  I know the game as I sure you do too. I have my guide series hodgemans (bootfoot) and ice stalkers too. Have fun if you guys are catching already!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/10/03 10:11:47 (permalink)
     for what it is worth, I meant plano not planar.. sheesh..anyway called the co. 1-800 # rep said it was a recall for this plano 3335 guide series soft pack. Aparently this model had flaws where there is little or No reenforcement belt materials between holding pouches. So she is sending me out a newer design. My older plano softpack is still holding up after almost a decade of considerable use! Like anything these days, always look for quality  even if they make them cheaper in china to compete, these companies must stand behind their products and we must help their quality control through communication.  
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/10/03 16:02:46 (permalink)
    The prob. is most companies have taken the opinion that Q.C. is a nuicence. The bean counters don't like the idea of having to discard defective products- they would rather salt them into shipments of good products. How do I know? This I can't say.....
    As for finding Browns 79- They most likely are starting to pair up and are moving towards spawning grounds.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/10/03 17:21:13 (permalink)
    ah the browns, it's still (imo) a little ways yet before they start to pair and stage for spawn
    look for them near the very end of oct, to mid nov
    by mid nov you'll "find" them in their full glory

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ellis Cove 2007/10/03 21:09:24 (permalink)
    yes, the way we are experiencing such  warm weather patterns it could likely start late and extend well into this  nov dec for the br st
    Jump to: