Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/17 23:55:22 (permalink)

Why HR/AR isnt popular

If you read hunting publications and magazines and such, it becomes obvious that to score consistently on big deer a lot of time must be expended. Securing permission to hunt on different properties, scouting and setting up stands is a major investment in time. Successful hunters spend many days in the woods before hunting season even starts. It's almost a year round venture.

Now go back to the "glory years" (before AR/HR). Back then, guys that worked five days a week didn't need to spend hundreds of hours in the woods in order to be successful. In fact, most, if not all, of their pre season scouting occurred on the four saturdays of the traditional small game season (when they weren't in fact scouting at all but chasing rabbits, pheasants, grouse and soforth), and the weekend between thanksgiving and the start of rifle. Once the buck season started, they often returned to time proven, traditional areas to deer hunt, often the very same stands would be used year in and year out.

So, why did that work? Because there were SO MANY deer out there, that hunters could go to the same places year after year and have a good chance to see deer. Basically, if hunters could find a patch of woods in the mountains somewhere, and they sat there a while, they would see some deer. Woodsmanship helped, but wasn't a requirement.

Back then, a guy COULD spend hundreds of hours in the woods scouting and developing stands and creating perfect setups...many did. But a guy could also unpack his rifle the friday after thanksgiving, take it out the next day and sight it in, then head to a traditional spot on monday and probably score.

Now zoom up to the present. Deer populations are down dramatically. Even the staunchest PGC supporters must admit this. To deny this is to deny reality. The days of being a leisurely hunter who kills deer are all but gone. Now, you have to WORK to score. And even a big investment in time and effort doesn't guarantee anything. Hunting is no longer a casual thing, at least not for the guy who wants to kill a deer.

Not everyone has the time to spend 10-20 days in the woods before the season even starts. I know I dont. And since woodsmanship wasn't really needed in the glory years, those skills have deterioriated over the general population of hunters. Add in the changes on society where guys have to work longer and harder just to stay afloat and kids are into all kinds of different activities that bring more instant gradification and it is easy to see why the casual guy is disgusted with the state of hunting in PA.

The mistake the PGC made was to make hunting harder for the casual hunter. There are a lot of hard core guys out there but there are way more guys that hunt to relax-not work.
I dont consider them lazy. They do enough work at work to want to bust their humps doing what they are supposed to be doing to relax. What the PGC may have lost sight of is that the casual guy pays the bills. Maybe he's the guy they need to take care of.

A good example of how it's done is the fish commission. They know which side of their bread is buttered. They make sure that streams are stocked-even streams that cant support trout year round. They load up urban waters where a wild trout hasn't lived in a hundred years. They dump hundreds of thousands of smolts into the tribs. Why? To appease the guy fishing for stripers at Raystown? To help the fellow who fishes for muskies on the Allegheny? The pymatuning ice fisherman? I doubt it. Those guys are gonna buy fishing licenses anyway. They stock trout to "reel in" the thousands of casual anglers who will probably only fish on opening weekend. Because THOSE guys buy the most licenses. Is there not a lesson here?

49 Replies Related Threads

sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 03:20:05 (permalink)
    good read danes and good point. pa sold the most licience in the country for years not because of big bucks. because you could shoot deer and have a good expierence. i almost **** myself today, i saw a show on verses hunting big bucks in pa, problem was the guy hunting was using a shotgun in october hunting bucks. passed on 2 monster 3.5 yr olds with drop tines to shoot a 5.5 yr old. not even close to legit the leaves were still green.  not even close to being the norm for a pa hunter. sorry for the rant but for the normal pa hunter its not tv. how many of you can shoot monster bucks with guns in october? join the real world with the rest of us!
    P.I. Perch
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 09:15:04 (permalink)
    DanesDad
    Well put.... You hit the nail on the head

What could be better than catching perch...
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 09:16:47 (permalink)
    Great post DanesDad. It takes some life experiance to figure things out. A complaint I have is being told what a trophy deer is. Even when deer were plentiful throughout the state, I was as happy with a 3 point as I was with an 8 point. We get this shoved down our throats as how it should be. As what was noted in another thread, 70% of license buyers don't have the time to be in the woods like some of us do; and 70% are meat hunters , which these posts show. A few dictating to the many. Nowadays, THE AMERICAN WAY.
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 09:30:07 (permalink)
    you talking about the guy who was using the single shot TC slug gun?

ORIGINAL: sugarfuzz12

good read danes and good point. pa sold the most licience in the country for years not because of big bucks. because you could shoot deer and have a good expierence. i almost **** myself today, i saw a show on verses hunting big bucks in pa, problem was the guy hunting was using a shotgun in october hunting bucks. passed on 2 monster 3.5 yr olds with drop tines to shoot a 5.5 yr old. not even close to legit the leaves were still green.  not even close to being the norm for a pa hunter. sorry for the rant but for the normal pa hunter its not tv. how many of you can shoot monster bucks with guns in october? join the real world with the rest of us!

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 10:39:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: P.I. Perch

DanesDad
    Well put.... You hit the nail on the head

+1 Nice post DD

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 10:49:27 (permalink)
    I agree....Good post DD........

Think about how many traditions are dying because of this.........How many people use to "go down to camp" the day after thanksgiving to small game hunt and look for a spot to deer hunt just like you said.......That no longer happens....People are so discusted that they don't even want to go anymore...I know some people that have a camp with 11 other people (11 other camps) in tidioute, they were the only ones to shoot a deer....they were the only ones to see a deer the whole season.....they saw 1 deer between all those guys............. it's ashame....    PA was never about "monster bucks" and never will be........It doesn't have to be a 160" whitetail to be a monster to some people.....

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 11:03:45 (permalink)
    Good stuff DD.

I'm the deer hunter you describe. Not too many years ago, I was much more into it than I am now. Used to bow hunt pretty hard - scouting, shooting, spending lots of time in the woods. As my family grew and life's demands changed, I gave up the bow 4 years ago and scaled way back on the time I spend hunting.

So, as I've said in other posts, I've switched to primarily waterfowl hunting. I'm not great at it by any means, but I find it's the one type of hunting today that I can do with minimal scouting - mostly driving around checking lakes and fields - and show up and have at least a reasonable chance at harvesting some game. I know that there are almost always some ducks and geese around. Some days more. Some days less. But overall, the payoff of harvesting game is much cheaper (in terms of time and effort mostly, and money to a lesser extent) than deer hunting is for many of us now, especially the casual hunters - like me - that you describe.

Bottom line for me: I've invested more time and energy in waterfowl hunting because it's easier than deer hunting has become in the past few years. If I invested the time and effort into waterfowl that I used to invest in bow hunting, I could probably be much more successful. I'm just one of those "lazy" hunters where killing something every time out isn't a big disappointment. Don't get me wrong - I love to get some shooting and killing - but at this point in my life, hunting is about so much more than that.

Too many other things in my life that are far more important and valuable to me than to invest the time and effort it takes to be a successful buck hunter year in and year out since AR/HR.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 11:23:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

The mistake the PGC made was to make hunting harder for the casual hunter.

Nice post DD, but I don't agree with this statement.   I mean, I agree, but there was an underlying cause.

Ultimately, the PGC screwed up by letting the deer herd explode and not managing them with the habitat.   The 3 day doe season, and the one deer and yer done concept is what spoiled PA hunters..   It's like giving a kid a bunch of candy then taking most of it away after realizing sugar is not good for yer teeth.  

Just cause I feel like ranting..

As we all know, the habitat in and around pittsburgh at current day is generally considered good.   I need not walk all properties to understand such.  The number of deer coming from thse areas speaks volumes about the habitat and hunting pressure.   The embyro counts on roadkill don't lie.  However, in decades to come, if those deer herds continue to grow, you're gonna hear the pittsburgh hunters struggling to find deer.  At present day it may be hard for some to comprehend, but when the browse disappears, the deer numbers drop.

I'm fortunate in that even in today's central PA hunting, I'm still able to go "back in time" so to speak and hunt properties (one in particular) where deer are everywhere.   It accounts for less than 1% of my hunting time annually, but I spend enough time there (and with others) to get the jist of what's happening.  This is a place where some hunters don't like others shooting doe.  Where it's just like the good 'ol days but with the addition of antler restrictions.  The folks who have hunted the property for decades (myself 2 decades) have witnessed the changes of what 60 deer per square mile do to habitat.  Many don't care..they don't want to, THEY JUST WANNA DRINK BEER AND SHOOT DEER.  Others, see the changes.   They also understand that deer don't do well in mature forests.  It's not fair to compare year to year but as the decades go by, the woods get more and more open, and despite the attitude of many not shooting doe, the deer numbers get less and less.

I know HR isn't the most popular item on the menu, and can be improved, but I still applaud the PGC's efforts.   And that's coming from a guy who went into November 12 of bow season seeing a total of 7 deer and went the first, second, and first Saturday of rifle not seeing a single one.   I know what deer are there, where I hunt public property, and I know I'd be lying if I was to blame the PGC for my lack of deer sightings this year.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 14:16:36 (permalink)
    It was a mistake for the PGC to create or foster conditions that ultimately make it harder for the casual deer hunter to harvest a deer. Because the casual deer hunter is the one who pays the freight. Maybe things were made more difficult because for years the population was kept artificially high by limiting doe kill so much, but I think they went in the other direction too fast and alienated much of their customer base.

I actually dont disagree with AR/HR. I love the two weeks of buck and doe together. I dont ever want to go back to the three days of doe after buck is over. I just wish they would maybe lower the number of doe tags in some WMUs. Because the number of doe tags issued is what determines the kill, not time or length of season. To me, it seems cynical to sell the same number of tags but reduce the number of days in the season (like they did in some WMUs up north). That makes it look like they just wanna sell tags- like they're in it for the money.

So, now that we have a lot less deer, has anyone noticed an improvement in habitat? Are there studies being done to validate the theory that less deer = better woods? I haven't heard of any, but maybe I missed something. As someone said, a mature forest doesn't support that many deer. Has anyone looked at other potential causes of habitat deterioriation such as acid rain, poor logging and forest management practices, the affect of agriculture on surrounding forests, pollution, etc? Cause it seems to me, all that would figure in.

I cannot see a time when I'd quit deer hunting completely. Maybe that will change, but I feel, right now, that if PA had only one deer left, I'd be out there looking for it. Because (like someone else said) hunting is more to me than just killing a deer. But I spend less than a hundred dollars a year on licenses and tags. And, I think, for every hunter like me, there are ten (or more) that do it casually-maybe only on the first day and the two saturdays. Those guys put the most money into commission coffers and those are the first guys that will quit hunting. Can the PGC afford to lose that kind of revenue?
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 14:38:31 (permalink)
    DD, you are THE MAN!!! As an added point, the north central counties counted a lot on the revenue the deer season brought in. Look at the posts of the deer camps and the reduction of the amount of hunters. I'm sure the continued decline will continue to adversly affect the economy in these areas. The insurance co. and the timber co. don't give a rats butt about this but I'm sure the PGC has been hearing from them in the last 5 or 10 years on a regular basis in front of or behind the scenes.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 15:25:13 (permalink)

Here's a browsing survey.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/deer/browsing_impact2006.pdf

My immediate area is also studied once a year.  Always enjoy the read. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    CrossForkWookie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 16:20:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

The mistake the PGC made was to make hunting harder for the casual hunter.

Nice post DD, but I don't agree with this statement.   I mean, I agree, but there was an underlying cause.

Ultimately, the PGC screwed up by letting the deer herd explode and not managing them with the habitat.   The 3 day doe season, and the one deer and yer done concept is what spoiled PA hunters..   It's like giving a kid a bunch of candy then taking most of it away after realizing sugar is not good for yer teeth.  

Just cause I feel like ranting..

As we all know, the habitat in and around pittsburgh at current day is generally considered good.   I need not walk all properties to understand such.  The number of deer coming from thse areas speaks volumes about the habitat and hunting pressure.   The embyro counts on roadkill don't lie.  However, in decades to come, if those deer herds continue to grow, you're gonna hear the pittsburgh hunters struggling to find deer.  At present day it may be hard for some to comprehend, but when the browse disappears, the deer numbers drop.

I'm fortunate in that even in today's central PA hunting, I'm still able to go "back in time" so to speak and hunt properties (one in particular) where deer are everywhere.   It accounts for less than 1% of my hunting time annually, but I spend enough time there (and with others) to get the jist of what's happening.  This is a place where some hunters don't like others shooting doe.  Where it's just like the good 'ol days but with the addition of antler restrictions.  The folks who have hunted the property for decades (myself 2 decades) have witnessed the changes of what 60 deer per square mile do to habitat.  Many don't care..they don't want to, THEY JUST WANNA DRINK BEER AND SHOOT DEER.  Others, see the changes.   They also understand that deer don't do well in mature forests.  It's not fair to compare year to year but as the decades go by, the woods get more and more open, and despite the attitude of many not shooting doe, the deer numbers get less and less.

I know HR isn't the most popular item on the menu, and can be improved, but I still applaud the PGC's efforts.   And that's coming from a guy who went into November 12 of bow season seeing a total of 7 deer and went the first, second, and first Saturday of rifle not seeing a single one.   I know what deer are there, where I hunt public property, and I know I'd be lying if I was to blame the PGC for my lack of deer sightings this year.

Whoa.  A voice of reason.

Nice post.

CrossForkWookie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 16:25:57 (permalink)

I don't know much but I do know that you can't regenerate a forest to optimal deer capacity in the amount of time AR/HR has been around.   Mother nature has a way of taking her good old time with things.  When PA's forests were logged out in the late 1800's until the deer boom of the 1960's-early 80's that is alot of time.  But yet some of you just keep on hangin' on to that 20-30 year period.

Logically I would assume for it to recover might take the same period of time, and certainly not in a span of single digit years.  Yes there are things that can be done to speed up the process (timbering) to facilitate new growth, but can they be done at the pace of the 1800's? I don't think anyone wants to see that injustice done again.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 17:05:22 (permalink)
    Actually, the best deer hunting statewide for numbers of bucks killed and PGC record book bucks was 2000 and 2001. Hard to figure how that was possible when the habitat had been destroyed for decades.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 17:11:37 (permalink)
    now, I didn't read this myself but got it from a reliable source in a buddy that hunts NY state with me. For the past 4 or 5 years, NY was experimenting with ARs in the Catskills. The results: a bunch of hooey. So much so, NY is now bagging out of expanding these restrictions to the Southern Tier. They don't produce monster bucks, or guarantee the spread of the better genes. I haven't missed one year in PA since 94 in scoring venison for the freezer. I live in NW PA.  Certainly not seeing the amount of "trophies" Alt promised. Couldn't care less, meat hunter myself. Got one 10 point on the wall. Don't want another. Too expensive to mount and the meat was god awful. Would love to know if PA read the NY results, or if they are even thinking about doing away with the ARs. My buddy also told me of a sportsman group in PA suing the game commission for mismanagement of the deer herd. Anyone here anything about this? I was more patient with Alt than most.  But now seems he sold every hunter a bunch of bulls**t. I realized back then that the hunters were 4th in line (behing the insurance cos., the paper cos. and the farmers) when it came to having a say with the deer herd, but I figured I'd give Alt's biology a chance. He knew then it would be devastating, why else would he beat feet the hell out of PA?
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 18:09:41 (permalink)
    I've been hunting for 45 season in Pa.and several years in W.V.,N.Y and Ohio.I've seen it all and killed a pile of deer( I will not quote the numbers because most of you will think it's B.S.) It a shame of what PGC let US HUNTERS do to the herd,we all bought into it and shot does,before the AR I only shot 4 bucks in Pa. that would be not legal now,2 spikes,and 2-5 pts,I've got a couple of bushel baskets of 7-9 pt bucks all before the AR, true most only have 12 -14 inch spreads,but a fair number are larger, I hunt mostly Beaver Co.and still see quite a few deer but put in some time.There's always been big bucks,my best deer was shot in 88,a very impresive 8 pt that's a 140 class deer,yes I've seen some big deer since the AR,but I saw some giants before,I agree with you DD,and most other comments.I hope PGC can change it around but I'm not to sure they will.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/18 19:32:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pikepredator2

now, I didn't read this myself but got it from a reliable source in a buddy that hunts NY state with me. For the past 4 or 5 years, NY was experimenting with ARs in the Catskills. The results: a bunch of hooey. So much so, NY is now bagging out of expanding these restrictions to the Southern Tier. They don't produce monster bucks, or guarantee the spread of the better genes.

I read that article too.....There were two other states that were experimenting that bagged it as well....Can't remember which ones they were...

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/19 15:08:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Tuna

I've been hunting for 45 season in Pa.and several years in W.V.,N.Y and Ohio.I've seen it all and killed a pile of deer( I will not quote the numbers because most of you will think it's B.S.) It a shame of what PGC let US HUNTERS do to the herd,we all bought into it and shot does,before the AR I only shot 4 bucks in Pa. that would be not legal now,2 spikes,and 2-5 pts,I've got a couple of bushel baskets of 7-9 pt bucks all before the AR, true most only have 12 -14 inch spreads,but a fair number are larger, I hunt mostly Beaver Co.and still see quite a few deer but put in some time.There's always been big bucks,my best deer was shot in 88,a very impresive 8 pt that's a 140 class deer,yes I've seen some big deer since the AR,but I saw some giants before,I agree with you DD,and most other comments.I hope PGC can change it around but I'm not to sure they will.

You are the kind of guy that will probably continue to by a license and hunt under any conditions. So am I (tho not with anything near your success level). But we aren't carrying the PGC financially. It's those weekend warriors that do. Because there is way more of them than there are of us. Way more. Even though I dont have a problem with how the PGC is doing this and believe that ultimately it is moving in the right direction, I think they are alienating their main source of revenue. It seems like financial suicide at a time when finances are lean anyway.

Actually I have to admire them somewhat for sticking to their guns in the face of how doing so could ultimately ruin them. They must really believe in this!
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/20 09:27:02 (permalink)
    I've been reading these posts on HR/AR for quite some time and find myself agreeing with a lot and disagreeing with some.  For the most I've refrained from replying.  But for some reason on this Sunday morning I feel like voicing my opinion for anyone who cares to read it.

I don't disagree with managing deer herd based on the land that can support it.  But if the managers let outside interests frame their strategy, from any side, the result will be less than favorable.

In no particular order...

1.  WMU's are too large to be managed the way the PGC is trying with respect to herd size and doe tag allocations.  The high allocations let us, hunters, kill off the populations in otherwise healthy areas while they were trying to bring the herd in balance in overbrowsed areas.

2.  AR doesn't seem to do much for average buck age/size in areas with low agriculture and high winter mortality like the north central part of the state.  Mid-3A is where my experience lies.  I don't prefer to kill yearling bucks anymore so I pass on them voluntarily.  I liked having a choice in the matter though.

3.  AR alone probably would have been fine and more accepted if the PGC didn't allow so many doe tags.  Protecting yearling bucks forced too many unsuccessful buck hunters to shoot 1 or 2 more doe than they usually would have.  Couple this with more tags and we have what many of you are observing.  I realize this was the full intention of AR/HR.  Let the hunters do the dirty work and we can sit here guilt free in the name of conservation.  I know no one 'forced' the good people of PA to shoot does.  Too many of us live in the moment, not the future.  I think the conservation part of HR could have been achieved more subtlely and have a better outcome if it was eased into rather than jumping in with both feet.

4.  Hunters who buy bonus tags are generally the ones who fill all of them.  In my experience, guys who buy all the tags they can for themselves, wives, and kids fill nearly all of them year in and year out, regardless of how the population is doing in their area.  Again, this is just my personal experience but they are also ones who process meat themselves and don't send in report cards.

5.  Not to be 100% negative...the one good thing for me was the reduction in hunter numbers in my area.  When the deer disappeared, so did many of the casual tresspassers.  I've spent many more quality days in the woods without seeing another hunter and has opened up some new tactics that were otherwise impractical.  Overall hunter decline isn't good for the state, so don't get me wrong.  Just looking for the silver lining.

6.  I realize that the PGC charter states that it applies to all PA animals for everyone, not just the ones that generate revenue, etc.  Our predator count, in general, is too high in my opinion when you figure that we as hunters are in too much of competition with them.  Is anyone surprised about the decline of small game hunters?  Look to the sky to find one of the reasons.  Look to studies on fawn mortality in bear / coyote areas.  I know of tons of great habitat that is void of small game where it once was plentiful.  Again, I'm not sure I know the answer to this one either.  I know shooting predators on sight is not, as it seemed in our father's and grandfather's days.

I'm sure there's more but enough for one post.  Tried to get the wording right for my opinions, but I'm sure I wrote some things that don't describe it 100%.  So go ahead and pick it apart, but don't waste your time DT.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/20 14:37:03 (permalink)
    So what you're saying DD is that hunting, isn't ( shouldn't be ) about hunting,  ( and the experience that goes along with it ). It's about making a kill, and heading home with your "trophy".

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/20 15:29:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

So what you're saying DD is that hunting, isn't ( shouldn't be ) about hunting,  ( and the experience that goes along with it ). It's about making a kill, and heading home with your "trophy".

No. I, personally do not think that. I believe there is more to it than just killing. But I think a lot of guys view it as failure if they dont kill a deer. I know some people who think that if they dont kill a deer (at least one) that the PGC has ripped them off for the cost of their license.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/20 15:30:57 (permalink)
    "3. AR alone probably would have been fine and more accepted if the PGC didn't allow so many doe tags. Protecting yearling bucks forced too many unsuccessful buck hunters to shoot 1 or 2 more doe than they usually would have. Couple this with more tags and we have what many of you are observing. I realize this was the full intention of AR/HR. Let the hunters do the dirty work and we can sit here guilt free in the name of conservation. I know no one 'forced' the good people of PA to shoot does. Too many of us live in the moment, not the future. I think the conservation part of HR could have been achieved more subtlely and have a better outcome if it was eased into rather than jumping in with both feet."

I agree with that one.

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/21 01:04:25 (permalink)
    When Gary Alt was out promoting the new AR program (this was before HR was discussed), he was at Moniteau High School in Butler county giving his program.  I spoke with him briefly after his presentation and asked him two questions.

The first was,
    "It sounds to me like the plan is to kill a LOT more does, so you are thinking that if a hunter only sees a few deer, but one is a decent buck he will still be a satisfied hunter, correct?"

His answer was,
    "Well we can't come out and say that, but is is our hope."

The second question was,
    "Do you think as a biologist, that AR as proposed, will have a long term effect genetically on the herd?"

His answer was,
    "If it were up to me we would have slot limits, but we are going to have enough problems with the program as it is.  Every PGC employee who has ever tried this has lost thier job."

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/21 11:46:19 (permalink)
    ""Every PGC employee who has ever tried this has lost thier job.""

tried what  ????

AR ???   ....

if it were AR he was flat out lying.. we have had different  forms of AR restrictions before....

and no one was fired ?????

You must also remember Dr Alt was the PGC Black Bear Biologist.. and was not fired either... and has been quoted as saying he did not know bears ate fawns....  ??

I heard him twice and talk to him once.. he never claimed to be an expert on whitetail deer.. he was the "spokesman" chosen by the PGC to present the DMP...

and you also must remember he was the one that threw that 1.6 million deer figure to the general public.. not the PGC.. but the PGC did not "throw him under the bus" for saying something stupid like that.. they just let it ride..........
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/12/21 11:50:50
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/21 12:25:26 (permalink)
    The PGC hired/promoted him to the job, gave him his instructions, and monitered the results. They needed a shock number to get peoples attention and 1,600,000 was what they settled on. Alt didn't dream up that number on his own.
    bigtrout4x4
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/21 12:42:09 (permalink)
    the hr/ar does not work for everyone. and it will never make EVERYONE happy. the thought of putting meat on the table or a kid seeing the herds of 30-40 doe walk by the stand has been put off, for the "trophy deer hunter" and the factor of the pgc wanting to doe herd to be tremendously reduced.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/21 12:46:49 (permalink)
    2.  AR doesn't seem to do much for average buck age/size in areas with low agriculture and high winter mortality like the north central part of the state.  Mid-3A is where my experience lies.  I don't prefer to kill yearling bucks anymore so I pass on them voluntarily.  I liked having a choice in the matter though.           (Quote)

I agree with everything you said in your post however ; unfortunately the age of SOME bucks I would say more than in all other previous years has increased ( atleast in remote areas of ANF that previously saw high hunting pressure). This is simply due to less hunting pressure in alot of areas ( central PA ) that in the last few years has been in most part "void of deer" with thanks to the enablers PGC. The trend in hunting changed , causing hunters to seek venison elsewhere and causing the few existing deer to achieve a higher age . IMO this was a negative impact on the area especially in terms of economic stimulus , caused the collapse of some mom & pop stores , and forfeiture of property from alot out of state seasonal residents  . 

I like the AR ( 3pt to a side restriction personally).......... however the deer slaughter is what really turned me off to the management plan and in retrospect I would trade any AR to be back where we were 8 years ago.

dakotab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/21 13:58:18 (permalink)
    I love it when I'm talking to somebody about HR and they're talking about how much harder it is now to see deer, then I ask "did you get a buck this year" and they reply "No, I filled all my doe tags, but that was the only three deer I saw".  Some hunters are just never going to get it.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Why HR/AR isnt popular 2009/12/21 14:02:19 (permalink)
    s-10 you are soooooooooo  wrong on the 1.6 million.....

well maybe not wrong ... you are just believing who ever told you the PGC was in any way happy when he stated 1.6 million deer in Pa ....

I am still believing all the folks in Harrisburg that told me they had no idea where he came up with that number.. but definitely did not support it and were upset it "was out there now"....

That remark hurt Dr Alt within his own ranks.. and when some hunters really got upset.. he listened to all the complaints  and felt the PGC was not supporting him 100%  anymore ....  so he resigned and went else where...

but you can believe what ever you want to believe.. again,...   we will agree to disagree !!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: