Quick Strike Rigs...

Author
kjo43
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/16 12:31:46 (permalink)

Quick Strike Rigs...

So while everyone is itching to get out on the ice, let’s talk about something that might make tip-up fishing efforts that much more effective - Quick Strike Rigs....

I've always used a single treble hook in the past but I'm thinking of building some Quick Strike Rigs this year in hopes of increasing both "mouth hooked" fish and overall hook-up percentage. My main target is Pike with large bait, so I'm going to start big and then maybe adapt for other opportunities later in the year. Will mostly be a trial & error method, but open to input from anyone.

First, Terminology:
Front Hook - hook at the mouth of the bait
Rear Hook - hook at the rear of the bait
These may seem obvious, but the concept will be important as you read-on.

Hook choices & Location
The Rear Hook is a treble, coordinate the size with the bait you are using. General consensus seems to say the best position is on the side of the bait under the dorsal fin toward its belly, one hook point under the skin to hold the hook in place.

the Front Hook - You have a choice here to go with a 2nd treble of varying size or a J hook, all the way down to a small Aberdeen. If using the treble you gain several more hook points and have a choice of hooking your bait through the nostril, mouth or just on the fleshy side of the cheek - much debate as to what is the best hook type – Here are a few thoughts…

If you go the single J hook method for the Front Hook, any size can do all the way down to a small aberdeen hook in the lip that basically just ensures your bait stays oriented on the Rear Hook as you intended. This method allows you a good Rear Hook position for the 'bite zone' and doesn't leave another large treble which could poke you while landing a fish or get caught-up in the gills, eyes, etc. increasing fish injury.

If you go the dual treble rig, you've got 4 or possibly 5 exposed hook points between the head and dorsal of your bait. Any serious bite should have a very good chance of getting some quick hookage.

Hook Direction
Its not so much about the hook itself but the direction you point the bait. If you are using the same size trebles for both your Front and Rear hook, then it doesn't change the rig at all. If you are using a J hook for the Front Hook then that goes on the bitter end of your rig and the nose of the bait will be right along with it, allowing your line to be payed out from the rear of your bait. This orients the hooks so the points are facing the rear of the bait, rather than the "traditional" method of hook points facing the nose of the bait (think Rapala).

So why is this important?.... Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But here are a couple of reasons to consider bait direction.

1. There is a theory which suggests Pike like to try and hit bait head on. If that’s true, this keeps your line & rigging out of sight. It also orients the hook points so that a pull from the angler would result in a hookset - of course that’s if the bait is in the mouth head-first.

2. Orienting your bait so its nose is at the end of the line will have your hooks pointing back as the bait swims around, this allows more of a weed-free rig overall.

Leader details
For big pike I’m convinced wire leader is the only way to go. You could use Fluorocarbon or Mono if you desired…. As you go down the tip-up line and hit the wire leader, the first hook you come to (front or rear) depending on how you rig it, should be adjustable in some manner for different size bait, you can do this either with heat shrink tubing over the hook/leader, or by creating an adjustable loop in the leader itself. If using Fluoro/Mono you can tie in with a Palomar (which wouldn’t be adjustable).

The Regs
When considering changing your fishing methods, you can’t forget the regs… The NY law reads as follows. “No person shall operate a tip-up that has more than 5 lures or baits or a combination of both, or has more than 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks.”

So thanks for reading… what has your experience been and what do you think?

4 Replies Related Threads

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Quick Strike Rigs... 2009/12/16 12:54:50 (permalink)
    Well I used to think quick-strike rigs were the cats meow. You can set the hook immediately and hook up 100% of the time. Then I fished with a couple different guys that fished specifically for pike over 20lbs (one on lake george, the other on Great Sac)...they both used heavy flouro leaders with one smallish treble (#4,#6 or #8).

To be honest though, I don't even fish tip ups much anymore though.
    craveman85
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Quick Strike Rigs... 2009/12/16 14:07:46 (permalink)
    quick strike rigs are ok but sometimes sucks when you have to pull out 2 hooks from a pikes mouth.  i just use 1 long shank single hook between the head and dorsal fin of a 6 inch minnow.

if at first you dont succeed... blow it up.

you want organic? well then shut the &^$() up and eat a *$&#*( squirrel.
    REEL FORCE
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Quick Strike Rigs... 2009/12/17 09:13:29 (permalink)
    I'm using "Whip-ups" this year so I'm goin with the quick strike rig - I made some outa spare parts I had ....

8" 27lb. micro-leaders w/ a ball bearing swivel, and Daiichi Bleeding Bait size 4 trebles w/ a split ring ...
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Quick Strike Rigs... 2009/12/17 11:11:55 (permalink)
    I wish they made small trebles (like 12's) that had extra long shanks... 

Seems like the best of both worlds...  And you'd have the hook shaft between the pike's teeth instead of leader.

Quick strikes are great, but I haven't had too many problems with just a plain ol' #12 treble either.

Reel Force's rig looks good for some Esox...  I never got a hit these past two seasons using steel, but some guys swear it makes no difference.  I have done away with the 6lb leaders this year on the pike rigs and replaced them with 3ft of 20lb leader material.  Pretty clear, can handle teeth, and I have like a mile of it.

Must be clear enough even with the big diameter, because it caught perch last weekend? 
    Jump to: