PA ice guys...

Author
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/11 14:33:23 (permalink)

PA ice guys...

They got me fired up over on the New York board....lucky sob's and their early ice...there's been yearss we barely got any safe ice all winter down here....I was feeling like it would never happen.

But then, today I was down at Wilhelm for lunch & the shoreline harbored from the wind had ice building about 50 yards out on the lake already!! Not just a skim either, it had some meat to it! Brightened my outlook.

Anyway, just thought I'd get a thread started for the upcoming season. Maybe your favorite places / species to target through the ice.

Me:
Wilhelm for panfish
Conneaut for pike
Woodcock for walleye, musky, and nice perch
Couple private ponds for BIG Gills.

Haven't got out on Pyma ice much, I'd like to try it more this year.

post edited by Pork - 2009/12/11 14:34:12

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>

11 Replies Related Threads

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/11 14:36:56 (permalink)
    I have been scheming and planning for the last few weeks about where to go, once we get ice. I have an Adirondack trip planned already. As for PA, I like Highpoint and will probably get out to some of the Pocono ponds for pickerel/panfish.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/11 16:01:04 (permalink)
    Guys, I just don't know how ANY lake could compete in raw quantity with chautaqua lake.  At long point, no minnow makes it to the bottom.  Granted most of the fish are 8-9" perch.  but my pb walleye was from chautaqua, the crappies can make the shallow waters turn silver in the spring  and thats not counting a really good musky population.
    my big regret was spending so much time icefishing other wastelands.
    of course, I'm still on a fishing high from several great catches from the river... How can you want for ice- the morning after a trophy pike?  (the first legal pike I have ever caught)..

Anyway, I suppose that I'll hit chapman dam a time or so.  they stock it with trout and some of them are a bit bigger... and besides, If I were to ONLY fish chautaqua, I might as well give my tipups away.

I also am mildly interested in a "pike" lake.  the last time I asked for such a thing I was told of a NY place that was just stuffed with hammerhandles... The news, though was a little off.  NY got tired of feeding the blossoming pike populations the lakes quoto of stocked trout.  So NY had this big campagne to raise awareness of the lakes "unique pike" population.
    in short order, the masses have drained the lake of that high density pike population.  Whats left IS healthier, but they're definitely harder to catch... win 1 for the state and its trout stocking, lose 1 for the travelling icefishermen that wanted to catch his first barely legal pike through the ice.
    so when I hear about lakes with the dense pike population, I'm a bit of a skeptic.
    post edited by jolie - 2009/12/11 16:02:00
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/11 17:43:12 (permalink)
    I'll be staying in Berks / Montgomery Counties for this season........a few hours at a clip

Ontelaunee Lake  --  all kinds of fish in this lake
    Antietam Lake  --  trout, trout, trout......a few panfish
    Deep Creek Lake  --  mostly trout, panfish and maybe a tiger musky

Might try to find a day to fish Struble Lake in Chester County  --  crappies, walleyes

Mostly stick with Antietam and Ontelaunee Lakes--  minutes from the house and most days you can find some willing fish

www.2bonthewater.com
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/11 20:59:18 (permalink)
    High Point Lake- Pike and Pickeral
    Somerset Lake- Crappies, just gotta punch a hole over the right spot. Don't bother PMing me cause I'm not saying
    Shawnee Lake- Carp (C/R) through da ice

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    fishmaster50
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/13 20:09:51 (permalink)
    you can catch carp through the ice?? never have got suckers and catfish what kind of bait??
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/13 22:06:57 (permalink)
    Somerset Lake- Crappies, just gotta punch a hole over the right spot. Don't bother PMing me cause I'm not saying

Your my new hero then. About 30 years ago we would catch limits at night in a shanty using a lantern for light. 3 years ago we tried again at night and fished till midnight without even one bite.
    Lickenchivers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/14 14:17:04 (permalink)
    Ive caught 2 carp through the ice both on minnows and another guy i go with caught a channel cat once. Hopefully there will be ice soon, Ive seen several ponds froze over completly with skim ice already. As far as where, wherever the ice is thick enough first. Last year was only able to make a few outings before the rains ruined the ice, hope this year gets cold quick and stays cold for a while. 

"Wait till the taxidermy man sees what I brung him"
    stevepf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/18 20:28:56 (permalink)
    Kahle,Wilhelm & Justus Lake & Sugar Lake for panfish.
    Justus Lake for trout.
    These are the only lakes I've ever icefished besides a couple ponds.

I'm gonna fish more and work less.
    Have A Crappie Day
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/18 21:45:25 (permalink)
    Went over Wilhelm today going up to Erie. Looked like it was pretty well locked up. We might be on within a week or so if the weather stays cold. Keep your fingers crossed and toes frost...
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/22 20:47:48 (permalink)
    I've caught carp at Pymy and a coulpe of stocked trout lakes,I caught a huge 16 lb cat on late ice after it rain over and inch the day before,caught it on a 6 inch creek chub,caught cats at moraine ice fishing,caught suckers on maggots and giant wild golden shiner in a Res. that where a foot long.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: PA ice guys... 2009/12/22 21:08:22 (permalink)
    you can catch carp through the ice?? never have got suckers and catfish what kind of bait??

Carp are a major PITA during the ice season...The trick is finding their wintering areas in the late fall. Bait corn and bread lol

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Jump to: