Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ...

Author
REEL FORCE
  • Total Posts : 552
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/08 19:56:21 (permalink)

Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ...

Meteorologists expect the storm to dump 3 or more feet of snow between Wednesday and Saturday in the mainly rural snow belts east of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.

..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO NOON EST WEDNESDAY...
..HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM WEDNESDAY TO 7 PM EST THURSDAY...
..WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING...
TONIGHT - Snow developing after midnight. Accumulation 2 to 3 inches. Lows in the upper 20s. Light winds becoming east 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
WEDNESDAY - Snow - freezing rain and sleet changing to rain in the morning - then diminishing to scattered showers in the afternoon. Additional snow and sleet accumulation 1 to 2 inches. Ice accumulation of up to one tenth of an inch. Windy with highs in the lower 40s. Southeast winds 20 to 30 mph. Gusts up to 40 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT - Snow likely with a chance of rain in the evening - then snow overnight. Additional accumulation an inch or less. Strong damaging winds with lows around 30. South winds 15 to 25 mph becoming southwest and increasing to 30 to 40 mph. Gusts up to 60 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
THURSDAY - Snow. Strong damaging winds and colder. Early morning highs in the lower 30s - then temperatures falling into the mid 20s. Southwest winds 30 to 40 mph - becoming west. Gusts up to 60 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
THURSDAY NIGHT - Snow. Very windy with lows around 20. Southwest winds 25 to 35 mph - becoming west. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
FRIDAY - Snow. Very windy with highs in the mid 20s. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
FRIDAY NIGHT - Snow showers likely. Very windy with lows 15 to 20. Chance of snow 70 percent.
SATURDAY - Snow showers likely. Highs in the upper 20s. Chance of snow 60 percent.
SATURDAY NIGHT - Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow showers. Lows 15 to 20.
SUNDAY - Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the upper 20s.

.....and I had a chance to get out there this weekend .....

9 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ... 2009/12/08 23:12:25 (permalink)
    I had some tenative plans to head out that way on Friday evening, but then I saw the weather out on the West Coast yesterday.! I quickly realized that when it is -6 degrees in Colorado and nearly 60 degrees in Cleveland it is quite apparent that there is one MONSTER front coming our way!!!!

The trip was pretty much bagged by lunchtime on Monday.  50mph winds are a bit much, and standing around in cold weather staring at lock-jawed fish just didn't seem like the best use of a weekend!!!

Now that I am hearing more about the 3+ft of snow destined for Pulaski (sure beats 8ft!) it's a no-brainer.

The plus side?  The river is coming up to 750cfs tonight, and the Chromers should be on the move.

The other plus?  Those big fatties are not leaving until April at the earliest!!!

Plenty of time (and better driving/fishing conditions) ahead!!!  I would think the snow will be there to stay from here through spring, but once the front passes and the roads are clear I will be thinking about Altmar again!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ... 2009/12/08 23:20:13 (permalink)
    I don't think I have heard a weather report call for "strong, damaging winds" since I was living down south and Hurricane Wilma rolled through back in 2005.  And we all know how THAT turned out for me!!!

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ... 2009/12/09 08:48:32 (permalink)
    I guess the (schools) will be closed in the SR.. heavy wind driving rain now on slushing 2 -3 inches here. Doubt this week for toggin, the ocean is whipping once again.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ... 2009/12/09 08:59:12 (permalink)
    Jimmy no doubt you experienced more exotic fishing/outdoor adventures over the years than most including me. That must of been fun party boat. If I were on the water, I would consider a similiar vessel. Imagine the grillin the huge frig against the console room for 100qt coolers of ice and drink..i want to try that somewhere.. maybe rent a pontoon on oneida this june.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ... 2009/12/10 18:14:15 (permalink)
    You are just chicken, been there in Feb when a huge front came through. First day it was 60 degs, yes 60 ! w/ 50+ mph winds.. People were surfing on Lake O, it made national news.. Next day was -6 in am w/30mph winds.. As for the fishing . 1 steelhead caught day 1, 100 beers consumed at steamers in Oswego the next 3 days....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ... 2009/12/10 19:41:33 (permalink)
    Chicken ? I been there driving in white outs ! at least two snow squawls in the winter up there! when you leaving this weekend? really wish you all the luck ! Besides, I still saving up for an ipod! lol

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ... 2009/12/10 19:54:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna
    Next day was -6 in am w/30mph

Ah hmmm...  Yeah, I think I was there that day with you...  If not that particular day, than one JUST like it, man!!!

I don't mind knocking some ice off the guides every few casts, but JEEEEZUS it was cold that morning...  Well below zero, I believe???

I remember standing in the river in the freezing cold at sunrise thinking to myself "Maybe I saw one too many Grateful Dead shows back in the day?"

Have I finally lost my marbles?

I'd be the first to admit I don't know squat about migrating Steelies, but I sure as heck have gotta' think a front this powerful would have to shut those fish upriver right down, right?  But on the flip side, I bet a whole new wave of Chromers are heading upriver with this new 750cfs release!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ... 2009/12/10 20:09:36 (permalink)
    nah it was only -4 when we went out last year... This was like 4 years ago during our annual Daytona 500 weekend in Oswego.
    The front, well sure it may put some fish in shock but these are steelhead man, they live for this stuff !!! From the reports & pic's I seen from today they sure were bitting & fresh chrome on the move.

BUT !!! No I won't be fishing this weekend and unless something gets my goat won't be standing in water unless I'm being paid to..
    However !! I still have 2 deer tags to fill , 4am will come early tomorrow ...

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Anyone Heading to the Salmon River this weekend ... 2009/12/12 06:42:51 (permalink)
    tuna If your talkin about valentines a few years back I was there too, it was awesome middle of february fishing in our t-shirts. We hit the smaller stream that runs right into selkirk shores park and did awesome, only pic I am disappointed I don't have cause I caught the biggest brookie I;ve got that day-17". a few steelies and a couple pike.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Jump to: