Career to Date

Author
BWAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/16 17:47:59 (permalink)

Career to Date

Well to make a long story short I bought my first fly setup in July. A 9' 5wt rod/reel/line package from Cabelas that had good reviews and was marked down from $100 to $50. I don't have any buddies that live in my hometown who fly fish, so I taught myself how to (somewhat) proficiently cast in the yard. After a few trips of whacking 4 inch gills 5 ft off shore with the occasional 10 inch bass mixed in at the local park pond, it was time to put my skills to test on the family vacation to Wisconsin in August. We stayed in the Dells area on a 10 acre lake that proved to be a 1-2 lb bass factory...what a blast, it was like learning to fish all over again. This is my first time posting pics so bear with me.

First Morning and not knowing what to expect, except for a week full of drinking with my aunts, uncles, cousins, brother and hopefully some fish....
[image][/image]

One of the 30 or so similar sized bass landed over the week on poppers....had a pike blow up on my frog popper but didn't get a good hook set and he was gone after a second

[image][/image]

Over my fall break from school I hit one of the creeks that recieved a stocking in search of my first trout on the fly, and was pleasently surprised with my best brookie to date on my third cast/swing with an olive bugger. This creek is only stocked with Rainbows and a few Browns, so I'm guessing it was an odd ball that just got tossed in on accident or something.... I didn't measure, but I'd say between 12-14 inches.

[image][/image]

Landed 4 more decent Rainbows the same evening on black/olive buggers and one on a muddler minnow then hung up the gear until spring....

[image][/image]

I'm moving to Albany, NY for 8 months(clinical training for the final requirements of my major) in mid-December. Hopefully come May and June I will have some sea run Stripers from the Hudson, 20+ inch Adirondack Browns, and some wild brookies to share with everyone. Hope you enjoyed.
-BW

post edited by BWAngler - 2009/11/16 18:53:32

4 Replies Related Threads

Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Career to Date 2009/11/16 19:26:22 (permalink)
    Sweet I have that same rod in an 8 wt for steel its a nice rod for the money. Good luck with your career cuz your gonna need money for fly fishing stuff now!
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Career to Date 2009/11/16 19:51:08 (permalink)
    Nice BW...you're hooked now!

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Career to Date 2009/11/17 00:22:14 (permalink)
    welcome to the world of fly fishing. sounds like you started off with a great beginning.  cheers. 

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2992
    RE: Career to Date 2009/11/17 07:46:46 (permalink)
    cool
    Jump to: