Cheap Guide

Author
noodlefly
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/28 16:42:11 (permalink)

Cheap Guide

I am switching over to a flyrod and would like to learn the basics of a good cast and drift and how to tie flys on correctly. But I cant afford $400. a day for a guide service.Is there anyone out there that will be willing to teach me the basics for a reasonable fee.say maybe $50.for a good lesson.i have all my own equipment that I need I think and don,t need to be put on fish the first time out , I just want to know if Im doing it correctly.How do i use the strike indicater? How to fish tandems?What the hell is "mending"my cast? Are my egg patterns too big? How do you use a thingamabobber? that kind of stuff.

12 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/28 16:49:06 (permalink)
    you are not allowed to guide anyone for pay on any PA tributaries without being a registered PA guide with a validated insurance policy and current CPR treatment.

I would suggest going with Jim,  username stillhead on this site.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/28 17:54:44 (permalink)
    Buy Nagy's Steelhead Guide. 25 bucks, or less.  It's all in there. And more.

Here's your knots:

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/28 18:26:19 (permalink)
    hey man.. if your up in the area.. ill gladly show you things for free.. fishing is fishing whether i have to teach some1 how.. but loomis is correct .. and for 50$ good luck.. but if you have questions about fishing.. id be more than happy to lend a hand while im fishing.. i fish tandems every time.. use thingamabobbers as well.. love those lil things.. im not saying im an expert. loomis the steelhead king would be that man lol.. but i do have alot of experience fishing erie tribs. and fly fishing.

shoot me a pm if interested
    noodlefly
    New Angler
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/28 18:40:40 (permalink)
    Hi, I live in waterford which is minutes away from steelhead alley.when can we get together? Saturdays are usually
    good for me. I think I have all the gear I need.waders, rods (2) already.,flies.etc.let me know what works for you.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/29 08:20:02 (permalink)
    lmao at the moniker of "steelhead king" haha not me by any means.  I would be happy to show someone, anyone for that matter, the ropes though.  I will probably be in Erie in 2 weekends weather permitting. 

I just don't want anyone to get in trouble with that.  Had an issue similar three years ago on Elk Creek.

I was driving a fly shop owners vehicle with a friend, and he subs out guided trips to local guide from Indiana, so he has it advertised on his vechicle.  When we come back to the parking lot, the Fish Commission Officer had blocked me in with 2 WCO's standing there.  He continued to tell me his whole macho spiel about how I cant be guiding.  Since I was actually registered at the time but without an insurance policy renewed, I said, "im not guiding, im fishing" and explained this was not my vehicle.  He continually grilled me and my friend, and seperated us to get the "story straight".  I ended up getting pretty angry and annoyed (imagine that) at him and asked him if I wear a steelers jersey on does this make me a Professional Football Player?  He got pretty heated.  ....long story short my mouth got me a fine....again, not really that surprising, but I was kind of mad an hour of my fishing was wasted because they had to repeatedly tell me about the rules in PA, which I obviously knew.  By the way, he gave me a fine for not displaying my license.   
    trackerz
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/29 10:07:31 (permalink)
    Never ceases to amaze me how they can find a way to fine someone.  If they did not see me casting a fly I think I would have fought that ticket. 

To get back on target ther4 are a lot of newbies out here taking up the fly including me.  This will be my second year with the fly rod.  Would be nice to organize a small instructional get together somewhere on the stream for a couple hours of how to's and a little fishing. 
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/29 11:39:06 (permalink)
    Id be down for that.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/29 19:37:10 (permalink)
    first things first anadromous , teach us all how to read the seams !!! hehheee
    Cattman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/29 21:55:23 (permalink)
    I agree with anadromous. You can read all you want and have people show you but there is nothing like getting out there and wetting some flys. I took some casting lessons when I first started but only improved with practice (like in my yard after work) Of course I'm the only one I know who flycasts and/or ties. Boards like this are great for info but doing is what you need.
    trackerz
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/30 11:16:12 (permalink)
    I do not agree more about being on the stream but it is a lot like golf.  If you are swing wrong in practice you are just enforcing bad habits.  Last year I fished 4 days on Spring Creek.  I caught a few fish but it was tuff going and they were only hitting nymphs.  I met a guy on the last day that gave me a few pointers on the set up and places to concetrate on the water.  I caught more fish in the next 4 hours than I did on the last 4 days.  Beer was definitely on me.
    mikevn1500
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/10/31 23:04:18 (permalink)
    To have someone show you how to do the basics while you are on the stream if only for a little while, will go so far for your confidence. You have to put in your time no doubt. I let my brother in law try my fly rod on a slow day. Showed him a few things. Now he is hooked. If someone offers you some of their time to teach, you really need to make an effort to hook up with them. Thats how I learned and am learning. Now on to fly tying....
    noodlefly
    New Angler
    RE: Cheap Guide 2009/11/01 08:49:48 (permalink)
    Thanx to all who responded to my thread.I met som enice people and am getting the idea.I read the "bible" Steelhead Guide but it helps me to learn visually also.Now I understand what they are trying to communicate in those confusing diagrams and fly fishing lingo.yes, on to flytying....Ill glue some single eggs on some hooks later today....baby steps.
    I hav eactually caught some suckers on these at the end of the season last year. after I built the "noodlefly" rod on a St.Croix noodle rod blank.
    Jump to: