Wader Question/Suggestions

Author
Rio
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/23 19:04:43 (permalink)

Wader Question/Suggestions

I am in the market for a new pair of waders but don't have alot of coin to spend. I was considering the Frogg Togg Hellbenders. Has anyone tried these and how do you like them. Could anyone suggest other waders around the same price range worth looking into.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rio

8 Replies Related Threads

Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Wader Question/Suggestions 2009/10/24 10:46:30 (permalink)
    Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.  I started with low end breathable models when they first came out and worked my way up through the top of the line Simms, LL Bean and Orvis models over the years.  I got the same use/wear out of high end and low end waders, absolutely no difference in durablility or time between buying and developing leaks in high wear areas (basically seams).  What I did get out of the higher end models that I didn't in the low end models was foot fit in the neoprene foot.  Cheaper models had much bigger feet than I needed and the expensive models had a much better fit for me (size 10).

I've also found out that the thinner (less layers) the better for breathability, meaning I stayed dry inside from condensation. 

The more expensive models offer a warrenty, which I've used on every pair I've bought, due to seam leaks. 

Orvis had a better policy than Simms in my opinion.  I just returned the waders to the store and exchanged them.  Simms I always had to send back.  While talking to the folks as Simms they actually told me that I used their boots too much (supposedly built for guides) and that I should buy 2 pair of their boots to lengthen the time they last.  (I haven't bought Simms since).

I'm currently using a pair of of Bailey's boots and love them.  They're the "Bare Bones" model, ultra light, very breathable, good fit for me and under $150.  I'll buy another pair when the time comes.

Ultimately the only reason I don't buy the Hodgeman pair for $75-100 is the foot size.  In the size I wear they usually have a size 12 or so foot that is too bunchy for my liking in the wading shoe.  For the money, they'll do everything my high end big name boots did, but they just didn't fit me well.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Wader Question/Suggestions 2009/10/24 12:37:05 (permalink)
    Rio,
    I've had very good luck with Cabela's Premium Dry-Plus stockingfoot chest waders ($140). I'm on my second pair in ten years. I ripped the first pair, after 7 years use, on a large jagger bush. I still felt I got my money's worth.
    Just remember not to pull too hard, when taking them off, on the wet neoprene booties. I've been told this is the cause of many leaks.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 983
    RE: Wader Question/Suggestions 2009/10/24 14:00:35 (permalink)
    I agree with Greg on the Cabelas. They are probably not the best made but for the price and amount of wear I get from them I'll continue to use them. One day I bought a pair of the boot foot breathables in their top of the line boot and 1 pair of the waist high in the bootie foot that were there medium price line. I paid about $150 for both pairs in the bargain cave. Both pairs did leak at the seams but after the first couple of trips I got all seams patched with aquaseal and they have been dry for the past 2 years.

As often as I am busting through brush in them they have held up fine. They seem much better at going through brush than my old neoprenes ones did. The neoprene seemed to be looking for a twig/snag etc. to catch and tear on.

Now if I could just find a pair in an extra wide width so I could double up on socks underneath I would be fine.

Also the cabelas guarantee is pretty much unbeatable but it does not apply to items from the cave so you need to check them out pretty good ahead of time.
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Wader Question/Suggestions 2009/10/24 14:40:12 (permalink)
    To go along with this post, may I question how many use boot dryers when finished?  Do you feel they lengthen the life of the wading boot?
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 983
    RE: Wader Question/Suggestions 2009/10/24 17:14:35 (permalink)
    If mine are damp inside I use a small shop vac set to blow air out and it dries them in a few minutes. I have no idea if it helps preserve them but it makes it easier for me to get my wide foot inside in the morning.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Wader Question/Suggestions 2009/10/24 18:34:15 (permalink)
    check albrightflyfish.com for wader , they are 69 $ will probably get u by a couple years till u can get a more expensive pair
    jaybo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Wader Question/Suggestions 2009/10/24 21:36:39 (permalink)
    When you're doing wearing your boots you should turn them inside out and let the inside dry from the condensation inside first, then turn them rightside out and let the outer part of the boot dry.  This will help the longevity.  If you have bootfoot waders, make sure the boots are touching the floor and are not dangling, this will cause the seams nearest the boot to stretch. Additionally, get a pair that fit you right.  I've had more problems such as premature wear, leaking seams, etc when boots do not fit properly.

A couple of other considerations.  Lightweight boots are good for breathability in the warmer months but if you fish during the winter you may want to consider a set of boots with more layers.  I have one set that I use during warm temps and one that is used during cooler temps, both are breathable.  I find this to be the ideal method for me.  FYI- LL Bean's warranty is unconditional on any product they sell for the lifetime of the product.  I haven't looked at what FishUSA offers b/c I don't need boots but they're definately worth a look. 
    Rio
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Wader Question/Suggestions 2009/10/25 14:36:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for your input guys, some good points to consider. I'm with you on price Vs durability slate. It hurts a lot less when something goes wrong or you have to replace a cheaper pair than the big-name big-money waders.

Best
    Rio 
    Jump to: