Expensive fly lines. not anymore

Author
flyman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 148
  • Reward points: 0
2007/03/31 21:18:23 (permalink)

Expensive fly lines. not anymore

I don't know guys/Gals. In the past I have used wf fly lines that have cost me in the 55.00 to 60.00 range. The advertisement on these lines promise smooth line through guides, Farther casting, and dependable. Hmm, why is it then that they only seem to last one season. If that. THEY CRACK!LOL, With the cracks in the line one can here each crack running through the guides while feeling the drag . Well, I tried something different this time. I bought a 4wt wf line that cost 10.99 and tx. I found very little difference in performance casting a bigger river in Ohio. Will this line last long. Hmm, don't care! I can buy 5 new lines for the price of one High tech expensive lines and not live with the a cracked damaged line for the rest of the season.

Al 

7 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Expensive fly lines. not anymore 2007/03/31 21:37:33 (permalink)
    I've bought quite a few expensive lines in the past few years. I must say that there are a few that I feel were of poor quality. Cortland 555 is probably the worst line i've ever purchased. After 3 weeks of fishing it about 3-4 days per week, it was cracked all over. The line stopped floating, and refused to shoot through my guides. Memory was a problem also. I bought the line in june. Even in the hot weather, the line wouldnt straighten.

There are a few lines that I am very fond of. They are as follows: (not in any particular order.

1. Cortland 444 (both DT & WF) - fishes well in cold conditions, and casts well. Never had much problem with the finish cracking.

2. Triangle taper - Best line ever, shoots well and lasts a long time, shoots through your guides like a rocket

3. SA "Trout" (WF) - great dryfly line, casts very delicatley, but doesnt turn over weight very well

4. Cortland 444 lazer line (DT) - loads rods nicely on short casts, great nymphing line

5. SA GPX (DT) - loads faster rods very well, fishes best in the warmer months, tends to coil in the winter
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Expensive fly lines. not anymore 2007/03/31 23:51:43 (permalink)
    Al --

Are you fishing a scientific anglers mastery series line?  I don't remember the chemical that's in the mastery series (and alot of other lines) .. but it will not hold up in colder water well .. the trangle tapers do NOT have this.  Also .. scientific anglers ultra 4 does not either.  The first expensive line I ever bought was lazer line .. great line, however, it cracks with cold water, it lasted about three outings in cold water.  I've had SA ultra DT for 4 years now, no cracks.  I'm not the guy who cleans his lines after each outing either, but I do make sure they are dry before storing.

Try a TT or SA U4 DT.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Expensive fly lines. not anymore 2007/04/01 07:54:22 (permalink)
    Some of the cracking you guys are seeing may be from sitting in the sun in the car or trunk or from being stringed and staying bend in the same spot on the guide. You also have to clean and treat the lines each yr at least once. The cracking sounds like heat problems and may not be line issues. I've only had one line crack on me and it was the heat of the truck and from being left stringed on the rod. At that time the line was more than a few yrs old.
    Tom
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Expensive fly lines. not anymore 2007/04/01 09:07:42 (permalink)
    Salt,
     That's probably my problem. I have a drawer in my van that is dedicated to storing my fly reels. I barely go through any season without a line getting cracks in the coating. I do this because sometimes I fish after work and sometimes I don't. It depends.
    Rio lines have so far worked out the best for me. It crack like the rest of the lines I've used but they are very fine micro cracks.
    I never tried any SA lines. No dealers in my area.  

Kype,
     Same thing happened to the Lazer Line I bought. Cracked after the first week of fishing. It was in November that I purchased the line.

Flyman,
     Which lines did you get?

Gone Fishing
    flyman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Expensive fly lines. not anymore 2007/04/01 22:22:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input guys. The lines i have used in the past are orvis and rio. In Florida, I will still continue to use orvis wonderline. It works well in warm water, with no cracking prob. and I can tell the difference in casting distance. As well as rios striper line. For steelheading and trout. I am going to stick with the cheap line and see, really don't see the need for an expensive line. . My only concerns with the si angler cheap line is how well it will float using drys. Will let you know.

Thnx
    Al
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Expensive fly lines. not anymore 2007/04/02 12:28:44 (permalink)
    I'm 99% sure that Orvis lines are made by scientific anglers for Orvis.

I've been told that 90% of the available lines are made by either SA or Cortland and sold under other names.  Not sure if that's true.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Expensive fly lines. not anymore 2007/04/02 22:31:39 (permalink)
    Airflo has (had) a lifetime guarantee on cracking for their polyfuse lines.  I have them in 5, 7, and 8 wt and they are great lines until they get in really hot weather.  I have the polyfuse 7000 series and when it hits 90 degrees they get a little soft and sticky.  Anything cooler than 80 and they are fine, all the way down to sub freezing.  They aren't PVC like standard fly lines, so they behave entirely different.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Jump to: