Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under

Author
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/04 19:57:42 (permalink)

Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under

Every spring, I still have bird units left over at our club and inevitably, they run out of pheasants, so I end up having a big quail day.  I would really like to find a 410 over/under for this hunt.

Since I hunt over pointing dogs and most shots are 25 yards or closer, I need either screw in tubes or open chokes -- I/C under Mod is as tight as I want to go, with my preference being more open than that.

Since I will probably only use this gun once or twice each year, I was trying to keep the price reasonable.  Unfortunately, the Mossberg (which actually fits me well and points much better than I thought it would) and the Charles Daly only come in Mod under Full.

I would consider a used SKB, Weatherby, Browning, Beretta, etc. id it weren't too beat up and has tubes.  Heck, in a weak moment, I might even go for a new one of the above.

Any help in locating one would be greatly appreciated.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion

8 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under 2007/09/05 11:25:59 (permalink)
    I thought you had a 410, have you been out hunting up there yet? Thinking about going up this weekend.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under 2007/09/05 12:01:00 (permalink)
    http://www.gunbroker.com/
    On the left click on shotguns under Firearms then click on double barrel, type in 410 then click enter enter

My link to this search did not work
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/09/05 12:04:45
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under 2007/09/05 19:45:24 (permalink)
    Jeremy,

No, I don't have a 410 yet.  Hopefully I will soon.  I usually don't hunt this early.  The cover is normally thick, high, and green this time of year.  I haven't checked it yet, though.  I probably won't go hunting there until after the pheasant championship.  The thick, high cover promotes running birds and dogs that are locked on point but can't be seen.  Also, the green grass has more scent than the birds.  All of which promote bad dog habits.  I don't like having the possibility of undoing years of training to shoot a few birds early.

Marty,

I did check gunbroker a couple of times.  I am not real keen on auctions to begin with and if I am going to drop a K or so on a shotgun, I want to see if it fits me first.  I do appreciate the effort.

I saw a gun today, called a Pointer (how ironic), which is made in Italy by Howa, that had some of the best wood that I have seen in a while.  They do make a 410 in IC/Mod, so that is a possibility.  Unfortunately, the one I looked at was a 12.  If anyone has had any experience with this shotgun, I would be very interested in hearing what they have to say.

Duncsdad

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under 2007/09/05 21:54:16 (permalink)
    I think Howa is Weatherby
    The guns I bought on gunbroaker were new and familliar to me or ones I bought for the action to make a custom gun with.
    This is the one you probably want-if you live alone!
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/owatonna/browning/710870_brngrvlskeet_owa.jsp
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/09/05 22:04:38
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under 2007/09/06 21:31:16 (permalink)
    Marty,

Brownings don't fit me at all.  The Sporting Clays guns have too thick of a grip for my hand and the field models have too much drop.  That is one reason I want to handle the gun before purchasing it.  Even the same model can vary from gun to gun.

By the way, I don't need to live alone to think about purchasing a shotgun like that.  My wife is worse than I am when it comes to guns.  I had to drag her out of Grice's last Sunday.  And the time I made the mistake of taking her to Joel Etchen's, I barely escaped by getting her attention off the Kreighoffs and to the Beretta 2 barrel sets that he was getting in -- which I knew would all be sold before we made it back down there.

Duncsdad

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under 2007/09/06 21:41:46 (permalink)
    I like my 12ga Ruger Red Label Sporting Clays model.
    It seems to fit me best.
    Had a Parazzi with an adjustable stock that was ok
    Also sold my Remington 1187,1100 and 3 870's because I liked the feel of the Ruger and did not want to keep switching.
    My dad uses my Win 1300 and seems to like it.

All of my ex's(fiance and girlfriends)  could not see why I need at leat 30-40 guns and sometimes over 50.
    Allways tell them it is just an investment that is going up in value every year.

post edited by pghmarty - 2007/09/06 21:45:42
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under 2007/09/15 11:41:10 (permalink)
    According to the National Sales Manager for Legacy, the 410 Pointers are due in the US in late September/early October.  He also said they are on an even smaller frame than the 20 which is pretty petite.  I can't wait to see one.

Duncsdad

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Want to Buy: 410 Over/Under 2007/09/16 20:50:19 (permalink)
    friend of mine won a Baikal 410 over/under at a gun bash. i was skeptical of this gun until i shot it. gotta be fast with it shooting trap, but shooting skeet it is awesome. later found out remington bought Baikal. if i was in the market for a less expensive over/under i'd buy one. very well made.
    Jump to: