Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Duane
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/16 20:21:06 (permalink)

Need to make a gear list

Hey guys, I am planning on doing alot of ice fishing this winter. However I really dont have any of the gear that is needed other than warm clothes. Can you guys post me sort of a hardwater essentials list. My budget for ice fishing stuff is not huge but it surely is enough to get me well on my way to enjoying the season. Thanks for the help guys, and feel free to give me brands of equipment that you guys prefer as well.

49 Replies Related Threads

dwaytkus
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/16 22:02:35 (permalink)
    A good jig stick for panfish is the HT Enterprises Ice Blue's. These are really good jig sticks. This site I see sells them. I am a fan of Cortland ice line. A must for panfish jigs in my box is Marmooska's, Fiskas or small buckshots. Little atom optic stealth jigs are good too. Yourbobbersdown.com is a good site. For me a good pair of creepers is a must. I wear Stabilicers. They last a long time and are very comforting. Warm boots are a must. Good gloves as well. And if you really want to spend a little money for what I feel and many feel is an amazing tool, buy a VEXILAR. I would drive an hour back home just for it. DOn't leave home without it!
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/16 22:25:17 (permalink)
    I'll tell you what I carry. I just started myself a couple of years ago. I'm sure it will be different from others, I am an "always be prepared" person; so some of what I carry someone else may not or will seem like over kill. You will figure out what you need for what you are fishing for.
    First and foremost I think safety... some are obvious but I'll list them anyways...
    - Warm clothing in layers
    - few pair of gloves and a couple hats
    - good pair of waterproof boots
    - good set of cleats
    - rope at least 50 feet
    - set of ice picks
    - few bungee cords (you never know)
    - tool kit, black tape, blade sharpener and a knife
    - garbage bags (you brought it in, you take it out, can hold your catch too.)
    - matches/lighters
    - Flashlight or head lamp
    - bottled water (you can build up a sweat and it is important to stay hydrated)
    - I also carry cell phone and camera

The more standard stuff you may need...
    - Ice Auger - I prefer Strike Master fairly inexpensive and good quality
    - Ice skimmer
    - Bait pail with battery powered air pump with air stone (I also have a plug in model at home for left over bait)
    - Bait net (keeps your hands dry)
    - Gaff Hook
    - Rod holders
    - Tip-ups - I like HT Explorer 500 or Heritage Lakers...reg allow for using 5, I carry 10 in case of breakage or fishing with someone without gear or I am using different set ups.
    - Jig rods...regs allow using 2, I carry 4 or 5 (couple are hand lines) same reasons as tip-ups 
    - Variety of terminal tackle..hooks, sinkers, etc. depends on your needs (I don't really jig but I do carry a few jigging lures as well)
    - chair or bucket to sit on
    - Something to carry your gear. sled, back pack, bucket, etc. I use Jet sled
    - Masking tape and marker because tip-ups have to have you address on them and if someone else is using your gear they have to put their name on it.

Some other things that people use (I don't)
    - Portable Shanty
    - Heater
    - Vex or some form of flasher/fish finder
    - GPS

I'm sure there is somethings I'm missing or you won't want or need but I'm sure you will get an idea to start making a list of what you want to carry. There are cheap and expensive ways to go and everything in between. I find like in just about everything going with quality will be the cheapest in the long run and quality doesn't always mean the most expensive.
        Tight Lines Mate...Cheers
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/10/16 22:31:58

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/16 23:57:15 (permalink)

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/17 00:09:53 (permalink)
    Hey Duane...  I've got several of my old tip-ups here at the house for you already. 

Now that I've got some new gear it's time to pass along the gear that was handed-down to me...

I've got at least three all spooled up and ready to go.  Maybe four?

They are all yours if you want 'em!!! 
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/17 00:11:56 (permalink)
    Some things you need: Good rods with good reels, Ice Auger, I have a power (one don't leave home without IT!!!), Skimmer, Good Boots, Jigs all types I buy some ever place I go!! Portable Shanty : http://www.thornebros.com/winter/shelters/clam/fishtrap_kodiak.html , Heater: I use one for cooking too!!! Hot food a must!!! Tip-ups: I don't use them but do have some, don't like picking them up after fishing all day hands get cold!!!  Vexilar If you can aford it!!! I fished with two freinds for years and thay had one, I would get some fish but thay would out fish me 4 to 1 !! Just some things you will need!!! Duane, I'll take you out any time you like and show you what I use and how to use IT!!!! 

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/17 00:33:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Perch Inc.

Tip-ups: I don't use them but do have some, don't like picking them up after fishing all day hands get cold!!! 
    That is why I went to whip-ups. Just reel them in like your jig rods.
    Whip-up
    http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/ww323/X_Wisdom_X/Ice%20Fishing/?action=view&current=WonderWhip2-13-2009.flv

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/17 06:35:13 (permalink)
    Tip-ups You don't need no stinkin Tip-ups!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/18 14:15:42 (permalink)
    I am going to be getting a Vex for sure, no idea how to use one but I will have one. Any models I should be looking for? Also when it comes to jigging rods and reels what are some good setups? I could go out and just buy stuff but I think it is a much wiser decision to ask the guys who have been doing this for a while and tried it all. Thanks so much fellas.
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/18 17:40:12 (permalink)
    for rods, i use the Cabelas brand. They are about $20 but ive snagged them for about half that at the right times. Very durable and the mid weight is very versatile. from pannies to lakers. For reels anything you have that is small(ish). I just tape on my small pfuegers i use for trout fishing. Usually i put on a little anti-freeze reel lube. If you're after lakers make sure it holds a decent smount of line. I use a 2000-2500 shimano and that always does the trick.

If you're going to be needing an auger and don't have the cash for a power auger, go for a Nills!!! I have an 8" Nills and can pound through 3 feet of ice in under a minute. No Joke! They are pricey but if you can pick one up used or on sale you will not be sorry.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/18 22:13:54 (permalink)
    Duane:
    you can spend very little (under $100.00) on Ice gear and be set up pretty good.
    you guys & the Vex, yea they are nice but by no means a necessity. A good map will work just as well and besides seeing the fish don't mean they will bite.
    Tip-ups, You NEED Tip-ups unless you are looking to just fish for pannies I'll take my 5 tip-ups and 2 jig rods any day..
    Get yourself 5 decent tip-ups. avoid plastic (it don't like cold) and avoid those low profile or flat ones. You want to easily see the tip-ups. the bigger the spool the better but basically all a tip-up does is hold your line and trip the flag.
    Auger, yup need one... The cheap blue mora auger will work fine. One tip, a 6" hole cuts MUCH faster & easier then an 8".
    As for line , I use a black 25# dacron line made by MASON Line. Fly line backing is the same but costs more and usually not black (easy to see on the ice). Avoid those vinyl coated lines, they are like cable and get stiff when cold.
    The easiest way to carry your gear is a standard 5gal. pail with a rope for putting over your shoulder. Yup a jet sled is nice.
    As for rod, I use a 30" med action jig rod and this year will try braid line on the reel. The longer stiffer rod is for bigger fish, lakers & walleye but also works for pannies. A lighter rod will not work well for the bigger fish.
    Everything else said , bait pail, creepers etc, you should get.

good luck .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/18 22:31:12 (permalink)
    Here's the list I came up with Duane:

1.  Auger
    2.  Beer
    3.  Live Bait
    4.  Beer
    5.  Tip-ups and/or jigging rod
    6.  Beer
    7.  Extra Socks
    8.  Beer
    9.  A Buddy To Fish With (and to help carry the beer and drive home)

Everything else is just a huge bonus.  Including the fish.
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/19 06:55:44 (permalink)
    No one has mentioned the key item!

Mad Bobmer Rabbit Fur Hat!

they look funny but are the warmest things ever.

Also try using a flouro leader on your tipups. It deffinately helps with the numbers. If youre after toothy critters my suggestion is to NEVER use steel leaders.
    Aditionally if you plan on spending a fair amount of time on the ice a one man shanty can be a life saver. Ive seen one man clams go for $50 on craigslist.
    Never leave home without your ice ladle. it makes for a very very unfun day....
    post edited by Last Cast 69 - 2009/10/19 07:11:54
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/19 11:59:15 (permalink)

That's how i feel too

I am going to be getting a Vex for sure, no idea how to use one but I will have one. Any models I should be looking for?

I can definatly give input here.

Last year was my 1st full year with a flasher. Since i never ice fished that much i went with most basic model in the Marcum line (VX-1). I upgraded this year to a Vexilar FL-18 ... for one reason ONLY , deep water Lakers !! I was being out caught by my buddies 10-1 easily !! Just due to the fact i could not see everything on the screen at max depth.

I had NO issues with the Marcum and caught fish everytime out, it was great. BUT it didn't go deep enough and not enough power to pick up a small lure 140' feet down ! So i really think it depends on what you are going to target ? 

I have no problem telling people to purchase the VX-1 if your fishing smaller lakes. I did notice that the price took a jump on them this year. So now the Vex FL-8 is probably the better deal for the base model.

I got both mine @ reedssports.com , they were having a sale and had them in stock.

BB

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/19 12:05:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Perch Inc.

The only ice fishing motto I live by
    HudsonRiverRat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/20 10:03:07 (permalink)
    Lance once told me words to live by for ice fishing."Friends don't lets friends fish tip ups".**** things are nothing but anchors.

Mikey
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/20 10:10:00 (permalink)
    Wow...  Looks like two different camps of fisherman all of a sudden...  Weird...

Not to sound defensive- but I wouldn't trade my tip-ups for anything in the winter. 

I guess I am much lazier than most, or something.  And poor too... 

Hand-lining a fish is my favorite part of winter.

Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/20 11:10:53 (permalink)
    How about tip ups and jigging with a vex?

From what i understand you need at least the FL 18 model to fish deeeeeeeeep waters such as Lake George....and deep is where the lakers hang. Marcum makes the LX 5 which is comparable to the Vexilar FL 18 and the other one to consider is the Lowrance X67 Ice Machine. I did see another brand on the in fisherman show this past weekend.

Some of these guys jig 20+ lakers in a day........hard to imagine doing that with tip ups.

We had our best day ever up on the King last year and landed 6 nice lakers....4 on tip ups and 2 on the jigging rod....and........all 6 were a blast to catch.

But i have to say i love jigging now..........whether it is for lakers.....cool to catch a 5 pound or more fish on a 24" light action rod.........      or......... for tuna............     whackin 5 fish and losing 5 more strong yellowfin tuna in a couple hours on a jigging rod is enough to get you hooked.......last fish i hooked i had to horse like crazy to keep it away from a tiger shark!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/20 11:34:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ship of Fools

How about tip ups and jigging with a vex?

Yeah man, that's what I'm talking about...  Maybe it's just my additiction to Northern Pike that has me salivating over the thought of 14" suckers impaled on tiny little trebles hanging through the ice somewhere not-so-secret up in Essex County...   Or the little pike hotspot in Schenectady/Scotia.

My buddies on the Finger Lakes that got me started in ice fishing are excatly that way.  They've got the vex, the aqua-vu, and the sweet shanties...  But there is no way they are leaving the traps behind.

All of our trout on Otisco and Owasco come on the tip ups too it seems. 

But the pannies all come on the short sticks, of course.  I know my buddy Jeremys monster Laker did come jigging too.  I would never abandon jigging by any means (especially when cruising around with guys with flashers) but I think the whole tradition behind seeing a flag fly is part of the fun (for me). 

"The Walk" is sweet.  Always wondering what triggered the flag, and if the spool is going to be screaming when you get to the hole.

But again, I tend to knock back my share of Busch's out there on the ice compared to more aggressive and 'focused' summer fishing.

Maybe having both hands free is a higher priority for some folks
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/20 15:29:19 (permalink)
    idk. it can deffinately be done without a flasher. i had a day on george last winter where me and Blitz landed a dozen + lakers in one day. only one came from jigging. though it happened to be the largest.

might crack the piggy bank this year and go for an fl-18. ive heard of some deals coming off craigslist and ebay so maybe ill get lucky.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/20 19:09:08 (permalink)
    Try fishing PP,Loon,Schroon or Paradox without tip-ups and see what you get. I will say some places are a jiggin lake such as LG but others you can jig till the cows come home ..
    I'll take my 5 in the hole and 1 in the hand any day.....

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/20 19:30:56 (permalink)
    If there's a shanty...  I'm there, man...

There's always two rods in the bucket and I just found a late-season stash of little white Swedish Pimpers...

Yeah, I guess maybe I shouldn't really chime in too loud since I seem to always end up in pike water.

But getting out on George was super fun with SOF last year.  We set up deep, jigged holes all over (a blessing of the LG crowds- many holes ready for you in the later weeks), and hung out all day.  Last one's off at the end of the day, actually.  And we hopped an iceberg to get back onshore at Vet's Park that night.

We're pretty sure we were the last dudes to rock that spot for the year- pretty cool huh, Ship?

Anyway- results for the day?  A friggin' PIKE on the ol' whirlybird spinnin' fool tip-up at my feet.

Righteous...  We're still gonna' hook a few shanty's together anyway, right guys?  Shantytown.  YES!!!
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/20 20:24:51 (permalink)
    I think Blitz literaly needs to hook his shanty together with someone. given what happened last year...

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/21 09:47:00 (permalink)
    No reason why you can't run tip-ups while jigging, I don't just because I like to stay as mobile as possible. Alot of times you can get on a good lake trout bite, but when they shut off, you have to make a big move to get back on them...and its just not as conveinient when you have to pick up 5 tip ups.

I will say this much about the vex and jigging lakers...last year, according to my excel journal, I averaged 22.375 lakers for myself per trip...358 total lakers on the year.
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/21 11:25:11 (permalink)
    No reason why you can't run tip-ups while jigging, I don't just because I like to stay as mobile as possible

Ditto, i like the run-n-gun approach with the portable shanty and heat  ... i hate getting my girly hands
    all wet and cold dealing with the tip-ups.

358 total lakers on the year.

... And that's no B.S. guys  I watched him plucking them one after another one day ... he had like 20 to my 2 !! One reason i upgraded the vex ... poor Lakers are in trouble this year !!

Don't ask about specifc locations though, i was blind folded onto the water.

BB

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/21 18:51:00 (permalink)
    Red, You are right some lakes are just made for Jiggin trout and as I said others are usless.
    22 lakers, you got them dialed in but I think places like that are late safe ice freeze overs.
    I like tip-ups because they are a lazy mans social thing. Hang out in the Shanty and play beer pong.

dwaytkus
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/21 19:11:17 (permalink)
    As for a vex. FL-18

I love the "friends don't let friends use tips ups"

Mobile Mobile Mobile.

I put over 75 lakers on the ice last year including a few over 10 and a 13 1/2 lber that is at the taxidermist.
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/22 09:41:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

All of our trout on Otisco and Owasco come on the tip ups too it seems. 

Owasco...keuka too...

Access is tough, but these two lakes are even MORE productive for jigging than our lakes out here. You simply wouldn't believe the numbers of fish that my buddies were jigging out of those two lakes this year, especially keuka...not many huge ones, but just ridiculous numbers of lakers.
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/22 10:29:41 (permalink)
    358.........  all i can say is  "we're not worthy"" !!!!

that is awesome

and tuna........so are tip ups and beer pong.......

so we need to have a monster outing this year for sure!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Need to make a gear list 2009/10/22 10:48:08 (permalink)
    Yeah Lance...  But what I should have clarified is that our BROWN TROUT come on the tip ups from the Finger Lakes...  We get them within about five feet off the shoreline on Otisco and it has really opened my eyes to the winter behavior of wintertime browns in lakes...  They cruise the 'shelf' all day long. 

I love the shallow water trap!

Lakers are a whole different matter, of course. 

And now I see why some guys are jiggers and some like sitting around.  It's all about species.

I didn't catch a single laker last season, and only targeted them for one day total.  All my jigging was for panfish, which was done mostly right at my feet at 'basecamp' so I didn't have to walk too far.  Ha!

I guess for some anglers "ice fishing" means lake trout- and for others it means "northerns".

And that perception alone seems to trigger a preference for equipment.  I would love to be mobile too, but that would require a four-wheeler in my case.  Also, I cannot jig out of my bedroom window (but I can see my flags!)

Ha ha ha ha...  Man, this winter is going to be a fun one!!!  Do you guys eat those lakers?  Smoke 'em?

How do you keep them lit?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: