Gas drilling for big money?

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/13 19:10:34 (permalink)

Gas drilling for big money?

The issue of gas drilling is starting to come to a head. Every fisherman and all your conservation groups should start taking action and get involved ASAP to prevent the possible destruction of our rivers and water supply. The State of Pennsylvania already shut down some companies and wells due to the kill of fish in some areas as well the contamination of some water. The draft environmental impact study was released on the DEC website-www.dec.ny.gov/energy/58440.html. Everyone needs to tell Gov. Paterson (fax 518-474-1513 and the DEC Comm. Pete Grannis, (fax 518-402-9018) that time is needed for our citizens to review and submit comments so a 90 day extension for comments should be granted. Additionally at least seven regional public hearings should be scheduled, including one in New York City to adequately advise our citizenry of what is going on and give them a chance to voice their concerns in an appropriate forum. Please get involved NOW. For continuing information go to catskillmountainkeeper.org. By the way, on my rt up the thurway this past sunday, I listened to an amazing radio discussion about how bad this gas drilling will be for both wildlife and groundwater for the local communities.. To me it would be a crime to allow such drilling ..imho roscoe trout capital of ny would certainly be ruined ... Jimbo, you have anything to add?

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take

11 Replies Related Threads

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/13 19:49:06 (permalink)
    Yah I've been trying to stay on top of this for some time, I am not sure on the certain environmental impacts, but the possible impacts in case of problems would be horrible.

Unfortuanltly backin, I don't think to many upstate people are aware of what's going on down there. I don't mean this in a bad way to anyone, but it seems like upstate NY'ers are ADK'ers and people around the city are more catskill people. I grew up 2 hours from the catskills and never realized how amazing it is for years because I was always going north.

The rivers in the catskills are the best in the east, there truly is no river system like it this side of the mississippi. When you take the willow, beaverkill, east branch west branch, main stem, neversink, mongaup, callicoon creek. etc.. and all the tribs, it adds up to thousands of miles of fishable trout water that is all part of the same river system. Realisticly take any of those rivers and put them someplace else and they would be the best in that area, so the fact that they are all conected is awesome.

Sorry I am rambling but fell in love with that area when I lived in roscoe, for any trout fishermen seeing that area is a must. I used to work for the DEC down there and it truly is a worldwide destination for fisherman and for good reason. Not only is it the birthplace of american fly fishing, but the fishing is phenomanal, there are rivers where the average trout is 14" and that's without stocking.

Again sorry about the rambling.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/13 20:28:17 (permalink)
    jk, all we can do is ramble! we know the wildlife can't! Sheesh! when I heard that lady conservationist explain how this gas drilling exploitation will pollute and destroy what we hold dear.. It is like allowing terrorists in our backyards for crying outloud!! all those toxic chemicals known to cause cancer will be in the drink! What the hell happened to the green alternative energy program?!!! Under who's authority should such drilling be allowed? This is mind blowing man! But sadly, it is going to be what it is going to be no matter what we post.I guess I'll be a rambling on too jk

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/13 21:01:37 (permalink)
    79 I grew up in Louisiana hunting and fishing around the gas wells AND gas pipe lines running from those wells I am no expert but I can tell you some honest pros and cons. Personally I would like never to see a gas well any where near the trout streams. I think some areas we should sacrifice progress for the natural beauty of certain areas and although many conservationists paint a dark and disastrous picture of the oil and gas they are in fact low impact on the environment today...I know, I know, that's almost fighting words. but it is the truth the area around a gas head when restored after drilling is not very big and accidental spills of chemicals into the land is so guarded and documented by watch groups, compared to how many there are accidents are far and few between, BUT! Here is why I am still against it in these areas! the richness and pristine value of these waters and lands are to dear and valuable a resource to even take the slightest chance. due to the very network of rivers tying into each other that you talk about is taking a terrible chance of destroying not just one stream but many. I am for drilling oil and gas in our own country rather than depending on foriegn fuels, BUT! Never in areas with such dire consequences as it would be along these rivers. Keep the wells in the low lands, swamps and the areas where such an accident can be contained to a very limited and small area. You can at least contain and clean a land area, yea I know, ground water but even there it is limited damage and at least worth the risk, But not in the Areas of such natural beauty and pleasure with resources that can be IF protected enjoyed by our kids kids. So I say hell no!....remember the Housatonic! fish but don't eat and how many other rivers and streams that we and our children can never eat fish from due to the electric companies. I say lets try being smart about where we drill for a change. The chance of this(see photo) 2007, is just not worth it.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/10/13 21:36:08

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/13 22:40:51 (permalink)
    Good post Mr.jigs! Those catskill streams been through alot in past, I could see huge ecological disaster drilling anywhere near those streambanks! What happens when those mt streams flood and all that drilling equipment floats all those deadly chemicals downstream? man that photo looks scarey!

REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/14 14:06:58 (permalink)
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/14 19:25:45 (permalink)
    That's a helluva' fire...  I have fished around the natty gas rigs off Alabama (Dauphin Island) many times during stopovers each spring and fall while traveling alot.  My little boat was fun there.  I was always amazed by the offshore gas rigs.  And the fact that choppers were constantly flying from one rig to another dropping dudes off.  You could see the lights of the rigs at night from the beach- it was like a surreal city on the sea or something.

The gas is great stuff, and as far as USE, ecologically pretty awesome.  And cheap, of course.

The horizontal fracture rigs are quite different, I think.  From what I always heard from my neighbors in the Neversink watershed, the properties drilled were going to be private lands that would be leased from the owners.  In fact, my sister in Texas has the same deal on her property and actually does pretyt good (dependant on the current trading rate of the gas, etc.)  I don't know if the rigs on her property are horizontal or not though, I will have to ask.

I haven't heard much about it the past year or two, it seems.  Maybe it's cause there has been so much other news or something.  But from what I understand the scary thing is not the drilling itself but the method of fracture.  On the shale bedrock downstate (we've got greenstone/basalt up in Albany) they can drill a vertical shaft, then spin the bore 90 degrees so they can drill sideways to extract the gases from each rift in the rock.

The shale is pretty fragile and they can smash it with water and lots of chemical (sort of like the 'drilling mud' used offshore).  Then they jam sand into the fissure and fractures to hold it open so that gas flows out without obstruction.  Pretty amazing, really.  The rumors around Neversink, Grahmsville and Claryville always focused on Benzene being used in the process.  I have heard that many times but can't vouch for it's use- I really have no clue.  But what I do know is that Benzene is bad stuff, and I speak about it often when presenting.  One shotglass of that stuff can contaminate a whole crapload of surface water...  Bad news.

But I think the DEC is the agency managing the permitting process...  Yet its the DEP that has the most to lose.

(Remember that lecture, Backin? )

All I know is that if I were overseeing the protection of drinking water quality for 12,000,000 people (half the states population, basically) I would not be too excited about additional chemicals being brought into the watershed.  But I never heard much of an outcry from the DEP, or the DEP employees I hung out with all the time.  So either they know something I don't, or the technology is still so **** new that no one knows WHAT to think about it! 

There is surely a wastewater being produced in this process, and its bound to contain some pretty wicked stuff (Benzene or not)...  But like Jigs pointed out, they do some incredible stuff these days.  Don't even get me started on concrete production or other business within our states river systems, right Tuna? 

I think it's ultimately going to come down to who wants to lease their land, etc.  And truth is, Ulster and Sullivan are the two poorest counties in New York...  Anyone owning land is bound to make more cash from leasing mineral and gas rights than renting an apartment to a questionable tennant or something.

The DEC is going to have their hands full with this situation.  The region may really want it (cheap heating for everyone within 100 mi, extra cash for landowners) but the anglers and outdoor enthusiasts may not (obviously).

Once again, it may spur NYC to buy even more property along the watershed to ensure they can keep providing enough clean water and avoid that ten BILLION dollar filtration plant.  And heck, maybe more DEP land wouldn't be such a bad thing?  After all, they are paying taxes on it...  If it was state land it wouldn't make a penny for anyone... 

There has been a "sky is falling" approach to the gas thing since I lived there in 2005.  But I guess I have to do my homework and see if any advances have been made in the technology.  I know it's REALLY new stuff.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/14 19:32:51 (permalink)
    I should also mention that while the technology is only a few years old, it is already being done in the state...

Central PA is loaded with wells, and western NY already drilled them too.  Around Jamestown, I think.

I know central PA has perhaps the best trophy trout stream in the East (Penns Creek) so all those wells around Lockhaven and stuff must be some sort of threat, or a non issue?  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in a a time of such cash shortage in the state of New York.  They may as well sell of their land down there and deed it to Manhattan!  Oddly enough, as long as access remained reasonable (as I think it surely now is) then maybe the city could do a great job with the rivers too?  Wouldn't that be something?
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/14 21:13:49 (permalink)
    Good post Jimmy excellent points. And though the new drilling and production techniques are safer than ever. I still believe that what can go wrong(no matter how slight the chance) it will go wrong. This is a true story and can be looked up in Louisiana news back in the early 70s A gas pipeline ran through an area we often hunted and along several country neighborhoods specifically one trailer park where lived a small family that my mother baby sited for.
    A young boy named billy joe, a younger brother named Doug, same as my brothers and a little sister cant remember her name. A road grader trying to level the bumps out of a gravel road that crossed the pipe line cut to deep into the road bed ditch and hit the line that wasnt buried as deep as it should have been. The pipe ruptured and under tremendous pressure blew up. unbelievably the operator wasnt killed even though you could no longer even tell he was driving a road grader. the pipe line ignited and sent flames arcing back and forth across the pipe line and through the trailer park.They surmised from witnesses that survived that this women my mom sat for was probably injured that way and sent her kids out to run but they returned not wanting to leave her. after it was over they found them in the tub together dead as they tried to use the water for protection we will never know just exactly what happened in the short time they had. the fire was so intense it melted the shoes of firefighters and rescuers. many people died in that disaster. It's not how safe something is or not that we should measure, I believe its the how valuable something is and what the terrible cost of losing it would be if we lost it. This was a true story from memory from when I was a kid. I still remember the smell of wood ash mingled with the smell of wet burnt trailers as i walked the site weeks after. dont get me wrong I am for drilling but not just anywhere.Oh the fire in the picture is along side I-10 in Lafiette louisiana
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/10/14 21:35:44

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/14 21:26:55 (permalink)
    Found the news link,all the years it was there and nothing happening erased by one day of terror. we need gas but must never forget the danger and what we stand to loose. let that determine where we should and shouldn,t place a well. not the money or the ease of it. http://www3.gendisasters.com/louisiana/12985/calhoun-la-pipeline-explosion-aug-1976.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/10/14 21:31:27

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/14 22:25:43 (permalink)
    Jimmy, the one hr.talk show on the way up was out of poughkeepsie .. benzene was mentioned along with other bad****chemicals WILL contaminate ground water. I am with mr.jigs in that it is too close to such a unique ecosystem.. guess I can only imagine the health risks outweigh the reward.. wait did I say rward??!!! what reward! no reward! it is only money!!! 1 Timothy:6 so like the how much (long term) pollution and contamination can we expect should A fourth 100 year flood hit home? We know this hancock region IS headwater to the BIG D ! The main stem inhabitants will be subjected to higher levels of contaminants cause they understand they need money ,,wait..did i say money? no no i meant reward! REWARDS FOR EVERYBODYS TO THE PEOPLELESS!..Of coarse nothing manmade will go wrong,only a naturaldisaster should something go wrong.. I seen what spring floods did to rt 206 twice! took them a decade to build that stretch and a half day if that to wash it all away..I witnessed what mother natures fury can spill from the catskills.. How they going to secure let alone contain such a facility situated along the drink? I seen years of road/bridge projects/reparations/maintenance dams blowout by extreme downpours in these catskill mts. This is where it all starts and they want to mess with it for gas in the ground? Even if they built it safe they will fit all to hell.. okay i'm done, i said my peace..it will be what it is going to be no matter what we post..again good read jimmy and all ty

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gas drilling for big money? 2009/10/14 22:53:25 (permalink)
    reel, I think it would be a good idea if they stayed away from blue ribbon trout waters .. why the rush and what is the big deal? they have enough gas facilities on trial..here is another link too http://live.psu.edu/story/28116 what is troubling is what the f happened with all those green energy policies such as wind/solar hydrogen etc..and oh ummm iraqian oil ? ...wasn't that the reason why we kicked iraqs a-s? no sharp shooters need reply! cauze i is joking kinda like well almost like joking anyways like
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/10/14 23:01:00

Jump to: