some thoughts on what I've been reading here

Author
coolerfull1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 257
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/30 09:14:07 (permalink)

some thoughts on what I've been reading here

This mostly has to do with the Lake Arthur posts.  First, there are alot of kids who still look forward to opening day and all of trout season.  This is where they learn to fish and get into fishing as a hobby to begin with.  The elderly who can't do the variety of fishing the used to do can still rely on this for some time on the water.  Trout are easy and cheap to raise and they are stocking less of them due to the lack of fishing pressure and harvesting.  Supply and demand basically.  For 'non trouting' waters, you are wondering why they don't stock more walleye, musky, etc.  Well, they do, but spawing conditions in a lake are by far more important than the stockings.  The better spawing conditions, the more fish will survive.  If you see the PFBC or a state park making changes or doing some work to the waters, be sure it's to benefit the fishing and spawing habitat and not the campers or swimmers.  Tell them to take there camper and find some other woods or go to a waterpark. As far as Lake Arthur goes, it has poor oxygen levels.  You will find alot of fish suspending in that lake.  Do some research on fishing lakes with low oxygen levels the how, when, and why's and you will have more success.  Bass touraments are killers too, they say catch and release is what's being promoted along with exposing the lakes and rivers, that's bull****.  They are making money and exposing the fish and where they are and to be caught.  Save them for the bigger waters that are always challenging and not just every body of water that holds fish.  Catch and release today, go back with your buddy the next day and keep them along with everybody else and their Uncle. 

7 Replies Related Threads

chugbug
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: some thoughts on what I've been reading here 2007/08/30 16:35:39 (permalink)
    I don't fish a lot of tournaments but I belong to a small club and fish an occassional buddy tournament each year. I know a bunch of guys who do fish bass tournaments regularly and have to say that 98% of them religiously practice catch and release when on the water and not fishing a tournament. Tournaments on Arthur may impact the quality of the fishing from a pressure standpoint.  I personally struggle on Arthur but I know guys from that area who hate Pymy and I do quite well there. Time on the water, knowledge of the lake, and developing confidence in certain lures and techniques is what makes the difference.  
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: some thoughts on what I've been reading here 2007/08/30 21:56:35 (permalink)
    What chugbug said and, your comments about tournaments is way off base. From April to June there is more than 40 tournaments on Pymatuning ranging from 100+ boats to much smaller club deals, all of which take place in prime spawning time. Even with all that pressure that lake gets better evey year. If people wanted to follow bass anglers and watch them catch em, then go back and do same, it would be prime time as there are bass guys, walleye guys, panfish guys, amish, just about everyone on that lake in the Spring. It just dosen't happen........Catch and release does work....
    chugbug
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: some thoughts on what I've been reading here 2007/08/31 13:55:13 (permalink)
    I bet there are more than 40 bass tourneys each spring at Pymy. This year there were 24 club tourneys going on the weekend before Memorial Day weekend alone. Throw in 2 big KBBC tournaments, 3 fairly large open buddy tourneys, and a multitude of clubs from Erie, to Clarion, to Pittsburgh, and from Ohio hosting typically two club events each. Tournaments start up there mid-April and go through mid-June before bass opens across the state and the tournaments move elsewhere. Like ReadyTo says though the bass fishing there get's better each year despite the fact that these tournaments are occurring during what the "experts" describe as the worst time of the season as it is during the spawn. I'm not saying Pymy can be compared to every lake in the region but it certainly serves as an example against conventional wisdom.
    post edited by chugbug - 2007/08/31 13:57:04
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: some thoughts on what I've been reading here 2007/08/31 16:49:15 (permalink)
    How do you feel about the tournaments that anybody can enter regardless of what kind of boat you have and some having poor live well conditions.  An 8 hour tournament in the summer with 85 degree temps. kills alot of fish.  Alot of those fish are caught early in the morning and can't make it until weigh in.  Thrown back dead to avoid penalty or weigh in dead.  It can have a serious impact on a small to medium size lake.  I've seen it first hand.  Having a bunch of dead bass floating around the shoreline a day or two after will never look normal to me.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3350
    RE: some thoughts on what I've been reading here 2007/08/31 17:55:52 (permalink)
      The ice fishermen just rope em & drag those big boys off the ice
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: some thoughts on what I've been reading here 2007/08/31 20:09:38 (permalink)
    is that what you do to each other?  sounds like a **** thing.  no need for that public display of affection.  isn't there another place to do that stuff?
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3350
    RE: some thoughts on what I've been reading here 2007/08/31 21:47:39 (permalink)
       Yeah you're right that doesn't sound too manly, oh well can't wait to get goosed at the break of dawn on Arthur in a few hrs. That any better/? I'll be wearin rubbers up almost to my neck & honkin very aggressively o/k?]

I'll be bangin with 5 other guys & a girl shortly before sun up dudd/ there oK/?
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2007/08/31 21:55:56
    Jump to: