Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/01 09:20:36 (permalink)

Jeepers- Here We Go!

Well...  I guess it is time to admit that I've got a serious problem.

I got home from a business trip last night and suddenly found myself in my game room spooling new tip-ups, rerigging some older ones, and putting in an eBay bid on some surplus military "Bunny Boots" like the ones I had up in Alaska.

And it's only October 1st... 

I have no real explanation.  I *LOVE* openwater fishing, and autumn is awesome here in the Northeast.  The trout and pike start showing up in more reliable numbers, the mountains look incredible, and the crisp air provides near infinate visibility across the Hudson to the Berkshires, Catskills, Helderbergs and ADK foothills.

So why the heck am I so focused on cold weather? 

Also, I turned the heat on in my house last night for the first time this season.  Just to make sure it's working.  I feel like I am preparing for the Apolocolypse or something.  But really I'm just getting for ice.

Crazy.  Now where did I put that black bait bucket?

36 Replies Related Threads

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 09:25:43 (permalink)
    Jimmy,

I know the feeling

I love stream fishing, flipping jigs for bass is fun, running frogs across the top is a blast, pond fishing the trout in the fall with that crisp autumn feeling - awesome...

But it all pales in comparison to ice fishing

I LOVE ice fishing

Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 09:42:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deadfishred

Jimmy,

I know the feeling

I love stream fishing, flipping jigs for bass is fun, running frogs across the top is a blast, pond fishing the trout in the fall with that crisp autumn feeling - awesome...

But it all pales in comparison to ice fishing

I LOVE ice fishing

ME 2!
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 10:37:29 (permalink)
    Ice auger all set for this winter, as I tried it out on the Civic Center ice in Glens Falls.  No fish, but had no trouble getting through that 1" layer of ice.

Go Phantoms!

Eagle Ed
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 10:53:13 (permalink)
    Man- you guys make me feel a lot more 'normal' than I did last night...

No wonder we all hang out so often...  It's a support group, isn't it?

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 11:00:48 (permalink)
    I used to ice fish just to get through the winter months, but i have found myself enjoying more every year.

BUT i would MUCH rather be in shorts and barefoot on the boat fishing.

BB
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 11:22:05 (permalink)
    Amen, Double-B's...

Shorts and barefeet pretty much trump everything.

I've got high hopes and big plans for the ice season ahead, because I have a sneaking suspicious it might be my last winter in the Northeast.  I promised myself I'd stick around NY for at least five years- and if I include my two years in the Catskills then my deadline will be up next Fall.  I moved up here solely to be closer to the Adirondacks.  And I've loved every minutes inside the "Blue Line" these past few seasons. 

South Florida's home prices have dropped from the million-dollar range to downright affordable over that same five year span, and suddenly I find out the tiny cottage I live in NY is worth a quarter million.  Makes no sense at all.

And while ice fishing is downright awesome- Tarpon fishing on my little Starcraft deep in the Everglades in February (with sunscreen in hand and cold beers on ice) is about as good as it gets.  I've found a few backcountry creeks that don't even show up on nautical charts- and marine wilderness is insane.  It is sort of like fishing in a scene from a Vietnam movie.  Mangrove ecology is fascinating, man.  These are the types of places I fish for saltwater species in excess of fifty pounds.  Watching a 'baby' tarpon come out of the water behind the boat is a thrill.  I've seen them leap straight out of the water and into the branches!  CHAOS!

As long as I can continue to successfully destroy relationships with every chick I meet, I should be free and clear to return to the 'Glades by sometime next Fall.  I've got a bit of a plan- and my work in the golf/ecology world could be a benefit down there.  The beauty of it all?  Flights from Albany to Ft. Myers are cheap as hell.

So you guys can all come down for some Snook, 'Poons, and Reds in midwinter and we'll keep the Jimmy Jam alive and well...  Just with better weather and much bigger fish!  80 degrees and sunshine don't hurt either!

Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 11:27:12 (permalink)
    Man Jimmy...i just found out a buddy from college lives in St. Croix.....and he invites me down every day on Facebook.........you go to Florida and i will need to take one hell of a road trip....
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 15:11:05 (permalink)
    Florida is a nice place to visit and all, but I hate the humidity...and the heat too.

Me, gimme a nice Late Jan/ Early Feb day, dead calm, sooo cold you feel the inside of your nose...yeah, thats the weather I live for.
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 15:15:33 (permalink)
    Nice Tar-poon BTW!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 19:51:04 (permalink)
    Thanks Brother... 

It's often fun to bust out tarpon photos and then tell people it is a huge herring...

Funny thing is, it IS a huge herring...  Seriously, it is.

So here is the plan Big Red:  You come see me for a few days of chasing "Silver Kings" in the sunshine, and I will come see you for a few days slaying Lakers out on the hardwater.  I think we'll both come out ahead, don't you? 

My heart is (and always has been) in Upstate New York, but I've never been one to sit around too long. 

In 2001, I had to file taxes in four states.  I tend to get around a bit

"Beat It On Down The Line", you know? 

Regardless, I'd never miss a chance to fish and party with you dudes.

No matter where the hell I am. 
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 20:01:23 (permalink)
    Awesome fishes from down south Jimmy ... i know i won't be here in NY in 10yrs !!!!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/01 21:02:02 (permalink)
    I just realized how absurd it is to post Tarpon photos on a "New York Ice Fishing" forum...  Whoops!

To make up for the mistake, I just ordered myself a few bumper stickers and a "Team New York" sew-on patch from the Ice Shanty...  I feel much better now. 

At this pace, eventually the whole left leg of my ice fishing bibs will consist of patches...

Here's an ice-fishing related question:

Has anyone ever had success finding BULK spools of tip-up line (Mason Line, etc)?  Any advice?

I know it seems like overkill, but with Lake George, Cayuga and Seneca Lakes why not fill the spool, right?
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/02 09:52:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy
    So here is the plan Big Red: You come see me for a few days of chasing "Silver Kings" in the sunshine, and I will come see you for a few days slaying Lakers out on the hardwater. I think we'll both come out ahead, don't you?

I think that could work out well Just wait till you try jigging for lakers with the vexilar...it is an EYE-OPENING experience.

ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy
    Has anyone ever had success finding BULK spools of tip-up line (Mason Line, etc)?  Any advice?

get big spools of fly-line backing
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/02 10:03:16 (permalink)
      Just wait till you try jigging for lakers with the vexilar

My fav ice fishing by far !!!

I think i started like ice fishing more once i got the right equipment , heat, shanty, flasher ... what a difference.
    I don't even like messing around with tip-ups anymore

BB
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/02 10:17:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

Just wait till you try jigging for lakers with the vexilar

My fav ice fishing by far !!!

I think i started like ice fishing more once i got the right equipment , heat, shanty, flasher ... what a difference.
    I don't even like messing around with tip-ups anymore

BB

This is the thing that scares me about getting a vex.......i worry i will just spend my whole day staring at the screen.............is that what happens?
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/02 10:59:31 (permalink)
    Yeah- wish I had the scratch to buy a flasher too...  But heck, my boat's been sitting idle for the past five months, so obviously $400 for another peice of equipment isn't too likely this year

I can't wait to get out with you Vex-icans (Si Senor!) and jig up some lakers with the luxury of electronics.

As for tip-ups, Brian, it seems like you're probably in the majority there- especially among those who have 'seen the light' of the advantages of flashers.  My buddy out in the Finger Lakes never even uses tipups anymore.

I'm sure I'd end up just the same way if I had a Vex or Marcum.  But (since I am so weird) my favorite part of ice fishing is the 'primitiveness' of hand-lining a fish to the hole.  Feeling a decent fish strip line between your thumb and index finger is somehow fascinating to me.  The very first time I felt that tug, I knew I was hooked.

Also (one more example of my weirdness), my second favorite part of ice fishing is the walk to a hole when the flag goes up.  It's crazy.  The whole thought process and excitement is awesome to me. 

"Should I run?"

"Is it still there?"

"How big is it?"

"Where's my beer?"

As we all know, it's pretty awesome when you get that first look at a fish down the hole.

The excitement for the season ahead is palpable.  It looks like I am going to have to occupy my October and November chasing steelhead or something to pass the time.  But once the northern lakes lock up, I have a funny feeling we're going to be right back into the groove of weekly outings like last year.

Ice fishing is so **** social...  I love it... 

Can't wait to get "out in the cold rain and snow" with DeadFish this season too...

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/02 11:17:31 (permalink)
    Oh i totally agree with the fun of chasing flags ... but all my past trips using tip-ups have been endless hours of sitting there waiting , i never had luck with them.  

Since my fish count went up 100% with the flasher , i am a happy guy  

And when i hooked into my 1st Laker on a little 25" jigging rod doubled over with drag screaming ... i was all fired up.
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/10/02 11:20:12
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/02 12:45:17 (permalink)
    Whip-ups, man...  Whip-ups...

For those who like chasing flags, it appears the whip-up is a dream come true!

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/02 15:07:53 (permalink)
    I guess with it being October we probably shouldn't be jumping the gun too far just yet.

Heck, I'm still content to "listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul" for at least a few more weeks...

As for ice fishing

yes, SOF, on the best days of fishing, I spend my day staring at the vex, stopping only to mingle with friends, take in the scenery etc. Most days though take a combination of patience, luck, and drilling a **** load of holes with the power auger.

As for tip-ups, every single person that I have shown the vex to, at this point no longer fishes with tip-ups, they just jig with the vex - we are talking about over dozen people now. i will admit, ice fishing in a shanty with the vex does loose a bit of the social appeal of ice fishing, however, I usually take enough "relaxation breaks" to keep myself out of the shanty and conversing with friends a good portion of the day. Plus, I can fish up to three in my fish trap yukon...Talk about a clam bake!

I even devoted a morning to fising tip ups last year at the end of ice. I set up a half dozen tip-ups around me, and they were constantly going off, with big yellow perch and crappies on their end - but ya know what, I was jigging them up hand over fist too, and that was just more fun! I ended up just pulling in the tips after an hour or two, and jigged'em like usual.

Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/03 10:45:55 (permalink)
    Guys I am really looking forward to the hardwater season this year. I have not done alot of ice fishing but plan to change that this season. I hope I can get out with alot of you guys over the winter and share some good fishing and some even better laughs. By the sounds f things though it appears I have a small fortune to spend to even be close to being able to hang with you guys. Nevertheless you can count me in on the hardwater fun!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/04 13:15:19 (permalink)
    WHAT !!! maybe your last winter in NY ??? Man seems like when I finally find a person crazy enough to fish with as much as I do they always seem to hit the road... I know I might smell a little but didn't think it was that bad..
    Anyway next spring you WILL !!! go to my secret stash of brookie ponds.
    Now I'm going to have to take a FL trip with you this winter so I'll be ready for things when you settle down there.
    For now I know we'll still have plenty adventures ahead and promise to get you tight with some silver bullets this fall no matter what it takes.
    And after you just got some deep water tip-ups... you dog you..
    Think we fished the hardwater pretty hard last year , you aint' seen nothing yet.. be ready fish will fear us this winter !!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/05 01:25:03 (permalink)
    Oh please...   The keys are in the ignition or anything... 

I've got a lot of cold weather livin' left in me! 

I think if I get a pellet stove in the house I might be able to rock a few bonus years too.

I'm boycotting propane forever.
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/06 22:25:01 (permalink)
    Woot Ice fishin! forgive my ignorance guys.... what's the dif between a tip-up and a whip-up? and red whats a vex?

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/07 06:18:51 (permalink)
    Jigs....a whip up holds your jigging rod and will "release" and set the hook when a fish bites..

And....a vex is short for vexilar which is a brand of flasher / fishfinder.......... and they make ice fishing way more productive........you can watch your jig / bait drop through the water column........and you can see the fish rise up to the level of your jig...........sometimes while reeling up from the depths you see a fish suddenly appear just below your jig...

They are deadly for perch, lakers etc..................i've heard stories of days with 20+ lakers landed by the guys who are good with the flashers!

Obviously i want one!
    icefishinsteve
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/13 14:00:15 (permalink)
    Im Baaaaack !!!. and why am I not surprised to see Jimmy and RJ already posting on the New York ice fishing board. This early cold spell has really got me thinking of ice.  I WILL nail my first laker this year. The pearl jig is ready for action.  Maybe we can trek to Pee Pee pond more than once this year also. I know it's early, but i'm ready.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/13 14:31:56 (permalink)
    WELCOME back Steve
    thought we lost you but always figured once it starts getting colder you would be back !!!

PP is going to happen and Jimmy turned me on to 2 very nice close(er) lakes that we must try..
    You didn't make Paradox last season (you would have got a kick out of our circus ride) but it's a keeper for me. Big lakers (we didn't catch any) Big Pike (I lost one) and huge bass (I caught one) lots of options there.

see you soon !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/14 19:41:15 (permalink)
    STEVE!!!  Woo hoo!!!

Glad to see you're around, we missed ya' at the summer mudfest...  Good times though!

It sure looks like this winter is going to be a SUPER fun one as long as Mother Naturue plays her part!  From the feel of my living room these past few mornings I think we're in for a real winter!!!

In fact, my new boots came in the mail today.  I've already put in a few miles strolling around the house in them this evening.  See you in December I hope!  We've all got a lot of water to cover this winter...  And lots of guys with lots of ideas...  We're going to be carpet bombing a whole lotta' lakes with a whole lotta' holes!!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/15 19:54:51 (permalink)
    Hello Steve ... see ya on the ice for sure in the coming months.

My new FL-18 Vex showed up today !!!
    Woooo Hooooo

Ready to kick some Laker butt now.

There are a few sales out there now, if you contiplating a Flasher, DON'T WAIT too long. Once we close to the season they get harder to get.

BB
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Jeepers- Here We Go! 2009/10/16 02:58:27 (permalink)
    Oct 15
    Snow in the southern tier and Bradford Pa
    My dad said the yard is covered and it was starting to stick on the sidewalk

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: