Where is the best area to fish on the Salmon river

Author
silverman47
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/30 23:46:41 (permalink)

Where is the best area to fish on the Salmon river

If I choose to come up next week where are the best stretches to fish.  I know some might be thinking find the places yourself idiot,  but with 2 days to fish and not knowing the river, I am not sure where I would start.

I know this I don't want to pay to play, so that rules out the DSR, and behind Yankee Angler.

I know I like some solitude, ( yeah I know thats hard to get this time of year)

Can I hike any sections of the river that might be productive.

Should I fish lower stream, mid-stream or higher stream.

Bait or flies??  I got abunch of wooly buggers, black, white, and brown, I also have some purple and pink ones.  Got sucker spawn in all colors,  eggs in many colors. 

How does skein work? 

Should the weight be kept at least 48" above what your serving?

How about steelhead style fishing with a float?

Or should I just stay with PA and fish Erie,  I know I can hook steelhead, and alot cheaper.

Thank you

Silverman47

3 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Where is the best area to fish on the Salmon river 2009/09/30 23:53:02 (permalink)
    Weight may not be more than 48" above your hook. I would watch reports & try to read between the lines where fish will/may be.
    I personally always start above the compactor hole a ways. There's a good slot with a small pool that always seems to hold fish.
    Two years ago I wheeled in about 7 am & caught 3 Salmon & a bunch of Fall fish there. It was fun.

Lyrical
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Where is the best area to fish on the Salmon river 2009/10/01 00:00:40 (permalink)
    The major problem will be where to sleep not fish,everything might be booked next week.If you come the fish will be everywhere from top to bottom.Pick a access area and walk up or down.Everything you have will work up there.
    I'll be hitting Erie in about three weeks.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Where is the best area to fish on the Salmon river 2009/10/01 06:44:08 (permalink)
    try walking downstream from trestle...  the crowds thin out the farther yougo. there is some nice water as you go down.
    Jump to: