Carp on a Fly

Author
orvis09
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/29 19:26:14 (permalink)

Carp on a Fly

i'm pretty sure there has to be some spots in the area to get carp on a fly. Anyone interested in sharing a spot can pm me, if you don't want to share with everyone. I live in Natrona Heights and i've found a few in Bull Creek. Any tips and pointers are appreciated.

21 Replies Related Threads

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/29 21:58:55 (permalink)
    You read the book? Carp on the Fly

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/29 22:03:00 (permalink)
    PM sent...

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/29 22:05:49 (permalink)
    honestly good luck

PA is tough for carp flats... and the weather is turning

pacarper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/30 12:35:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: orvis09

i'm pretty sure there has to be some spots in the area to get carp on a fly. Anyone interested in sharing a spot can pm me, if you don't want to share with everyone. I live in Natrona Heights and i've found a few in Bull Creek. Any tips and pointers are appreciated.

It might help to find a spot where people feed the ducks bread and such and fish there afterward.
    I got back into flyfishin' for carp a little this year.  Not down your way, but I've caught a few carp on the Shenango River behind a diner.  This diner has been various restaurants over the years and the food scraps that get thrown in the river there have attracted the carp----they even hang out there waiting, when the place has been closed up.  I've got a few on mostly bread and corn flies, but they would probably hit **** near anything at one point.  A pizza shop has just opened there now and the carp have become harder to catch, but got a couple a few weeks ago there.  They are likely being well feed now.  Guess I have to find a pizza crust fly or maybe a french fry fly.  I notice the carp like to come up and nip at the leaves floatin' by now too.
    I haven't had any luck on carp on the fly elsewhere on the river..................yet, but I'm not much of a fly fisherman.  I got into messin' with carp on the flyrod years ago, when they feed on mulberries, fallin' from trees, in the summer, but it's past time for that around here now.
    FYI, there is a local outdoor writer workin' on a carp fly fishing book that should be out eventually.

post edited by pacarper - 2009/09/30 14:20:58

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    orvis09
    New Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/30 15:15:03 (permalink)
    please erase
    post edited by orvis09 - 2009/09/30 18:59:05
    swpa fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/30 17:33:49 (permalink)
    behind wildwood highlands
    orvis09
    New Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/30 18:59:35 (permalink)
    is that the place where they have that huge fleamarket?
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/30 20:02:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pacarper

It might help to find a spot where people feed the ducks bread and such and fish there afterward.
    I got back into flyfishin' for carp a little this year.  Not down your way, but I've caught a few carp on the Shenango River behind a diner.  This diner has been various restaurants over the years and the food scraps that get thrown in the river there have attracted the carp----they even hang out there waiting, when the place has been closed up.  I've got a few on mostly bread and corn flies, but they would probably hit **** near anything at one point.  A pizza shop has just opened there now and the carp have become harder to catch, but got a couple a few weeks ago there.  They are likely being well feed now.  Guess I have to find a pizza crust fly or maybe a french fry fly.  I notice the carp like to come up and nip at the leaves floatin' by now too.
    I haven't had any luck on carp on the fly elsewhere on the river..................yet, but I'm not much of a fly fisherman.  I got into messin' with carp on the flyrod years ago, when they feed on mulberries, fallin' from trees, in the summer, but it's past time for that around here now.
    FYI, there is a local outdoor writer workin' on a carp fly fishing book that should be out eventually.

Nice Mirror on a fly rod! Did you catch it on a regular fly?

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/30 20:19:48 (permalink)
    still yet to hit a mirror...

joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/09/30 21:37:22 (permalink)
    Chartiers Creek.  Fishes great in Spring and Fall, and if you know the right spots, the Winter.  Have landed them on crystal meth, sucker spawn, San Juan worms, PT BH nymphs, to name a few.  Up to 15 lbs, and one mirror a few years back.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/01 01:01:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

Nice Mirror on a fly rod! Did you catch it on a regular fly?

What the hell is a regular fly?  I got the one in the pic on a little size 14 bread fly.  Just a plain fly, not scented or dipped in flavor or anything.  At least I was actually flyfishing (or my best attempt at trying to) and not setting my rod in a stand with a bite alarm like Len and the guys do at Shawnee. 
    The first two carp I landed on da fly this year were mirrors.  I did get a couple of commons the last time out with a fly rod.  Managed to land a carpsucker as well from the river earlier in the summer, but it was foul-hooked-------didn't even know there were carpsuckers in the river 'til I got that one.

post edited by pacarper - 2009/10/01 01:06:35

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/01 07:47:38 (permalink)
    what is a "bread fly"?

personally i chase them when the are tailing in mudflats
    sight casting to active feeders

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/01 08:52:40 (permalink)
    What the hell is a regular fly? Just a plain fly, not scented or dipped in flavor or anything.  At least I was actually flyfishing (or my best attempt at trying to) and not setting my rod in a stand with a bite alarm like Len and the guys do at Shawnee. 

Like ones that Len doesn't use with the sponge fly soaked in corn juice LOL

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/01 09:53:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

what is a "bread fly"?

I always thought it was like a big fluffy white glo bug.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/01 10:25:21 (permalink)

That's pretty much what a bread fly is, as long as it white and floats.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/01 11:22:56 (permalink)
    Yep, pretty much.
    Here is one place that I got some carp flies from that I am using, including the bread bundle fly I got the mirror on:
    http://augustaflyfishing.com/carpflies.html
    The one corn fly on there is kinda like the one Len uses, tied hair rig style, but carp fluff chuckers have been tying that fly for years.  The first time I went out this year flyfishing, I went with that local writer and he's been carpin' on da fly for 40 years, so there was no cheatin' or bastardizin' it with him, so no soaked flies.

Here's some other places that have carp specific flies:
    http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/c-219-carp.aspx?pagenum=1
    http://www.uncommoncarp.com/estore/category/565
    http://www.yagersflies.com/carpflies.html
    https://www.msu.edu/~connert/cornfly.htm

I did get that carpsucker on a mud flat.  Them **** things are hard enough to catch fishin' with real bait let alone a fly, but I got it by hook and crook!
    The carp I've been getting are active surface (or subsurface) feeders, since they've been trained to take bread, fries and other food scraps.  I watched both mirrors I got inhale my fly, no more than 10 ft. from me, subsurface on a slowly sinking fly.  Learning how to fight them on my POS (compared to what real flyfishers use I'm guessing, good enough for me as much as I use it, and for stinkin' sewer salmon to boot) Martin fly outfit (6/7 wt.) has been the fun part-----I've lost as many to snags as I've landed.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/01 11:38:41 (permalink)

orvis09
    New Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/01 21:11:09 (permalink)
    nice flies in that other thread KJ. with the little fly carpin experience i have, i find it hard to believe they hit those flys.
    anytime i think of feeding carp i think of them sucking bread or chips off the top of the water.

are those pulled through the water like a bugger or streamer?

hard time imagining a carp making an effort to eat something. whatever they eat is usually just floating in front of them with a lifeless drift.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/01 22:37:54 (permalink)
    you have to anticipate where a feeding fish will move...
    drop close enough... but not too close to spook
    as the fish approaches, short twitches/strips... looks like a fleeing crawfish or burrowing bug
    you want to create plumes of mud, something to catch their attention

thats if you can get into position to make a cast
    carp can hear you walking on shore/ wading
    once they spook, the excrete a sent that alerts other fish to danger

pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/02 04:41:25 (permalink)
    I've seen that other thread before----cool pics.

Had my best day yet behind the pizza shop-----hooked four, landed three, on the corn fly; lost the first on the bread fly when it broke me off on a snag.  They were skittish about takin' da fly----plenty scoffin' at it.  There was a bunch of carp there waitin'.  Surprised I was able to get that many before they all spooked.
    The guy from the pizza shop offered me some pizza crust for bait, but told him that would be too easy.  Besides I usually always have bread wit me in the truck if I wanna catch 'em normal like.  Told him I need a pizza crust or french fry fly.  I guess I could always try this goose turd fly too: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1544&ppuser=440 .
    One of these days I'll get a carp on a "real" insect fly.
    I'll have to stop in and get a pizza from that shop, since they're keeping the carp fed.

Da corn fly in da lip

Marklu
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Carp on a Fly 2009/10/02 10:13:56 (permalink)

Try HIGHLAND PARK DAM, best place, HANDS DOWN, in the area for ALL SPECIES.

Good luck,

SS
    Jump to: