Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
The Tuna
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 390
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/27 12:28:47 (permalink)

Shimano Curado 300DSV

Recently purchased a 300DSV at Gander Mountain where it was on clearance sale for $120 + tax.  I plan to use it on steelhead and saltwater.   Anybody own one and have you tried stringing it with braided line ?

31 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/09/27 18:46:02 (permalink)
    While i dont own this particular reel i've read alot of reviews on the reel and its a great reel, guys are using them alot for musky. The price you paid was a hell of a deal on it. To spool it with braid put some 8 or 10lb mono on underneath the braid, enough to cover the bottom of the spool. Then attach your braid to it and make sure you put it on tightly so it wont slip. The mono underneath will almost guarantee you wont have any slippage problems.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    bassrsnappin
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/09/28 17:39:41 (permalink)
    I just bought one for musky, I paid 250 for mine. You got a heck of a deal !
    I have 6 of the 200 series curados for bass fishing. I've even been using the 200 series for musky, with 80 lb power pro braid. I've never had ANY problems with curados, I can't say the same thing about other brands I've owned.
    The Tuna
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/10/02 09:12:00 (permalink)
    One of the guys PM'd me and told me to avoid braided line, that it tangles too easily and it's dang near impossible to untangle.   Basically, one birdsnest and throw the line away.    So far I've heeded his advice and have used only Sufix hi-vis yellow 20-lb mono.   A birdsnest with that stuff is easy to untangle.    Once you learn to adjust the spool control on the RH side of the reel you can completely avoid birdsnests altogether.  You place your thumb on the spool after you press the spool release down just to keep the spool from unwinding prior to your cast.  Once you cast there's no need to hold your thumb down at all.   I'm able to chuck it 110 ft with a 35 gram float from an 11'4" steelhead rod and have actally measured that distance.    I also have tried it with the same setup using my 6 1/2' bass pole (Berkley Power Pole) and have sent it 95-100 ft.  30-40 yards is very satisfactory distance for me.   I figure braided line might buy me an extra 5-10 yards but is it worth the risk?   On one of the websites where they do product reviews (maybe this website) I read a review on the Curado 300DSV where one guy wrote that once you understand the spool adjustment and adjust it accordingly you couldn't create a birdsnest with this reel if you tried.  Even though I've not had this reel on the water yet and have only experimented with it in the back yard I have to say that's a true statement.   Anyway I liked the reel so much that I went and bought one of 2 remaining 300DSV's at Gander.    I plan to take the 2nd one to Florida and leave it there.  One of the Shimano websites boasts that this reel is designed just as much for saltwater as fresh.   The only negative thing I've read about this reel which as I understand is the largest of all the low-profile baitcasters is that when bringing a fish up from deepwater it does not have the cranking power that some of the round baitcasters have.  So if one were planning to use this for deep sea fishing in 70 feet of water, there are probably better choices.   But for catching steelhead, salmon, muskie and most saltwater species from anywhere near the surface there's no better low-profile baitcaster.
    post edited by The Tuna - 2009/10/02 09:17:46
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/10/02 11:29:42 (permalink)
    If you learn how to use the reel and thumb the spool to prevent back lash you will be fine. As far as not using braided line if you want to follow his advice thats your decision but I have been using it for many years and it's just like mono if you get a back lash you pick it out. Sounds like one bad experience and he gave up. A little patience, a pair of foreceps or a hook and pick and you are good to go. There are too many positive properties to not use it. Feel, low streach= better hook sets, abraision resistance, and 17lb diameter is 65# strength need I say more! Mono does have it's place but this is not it.

Jacob
    The Tuna
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/10/02 12:21:39 (permalink)
    Are you saying I should use the 17lb dia (65#) strength?   Certainly the bigger the dia the easier it is to untangle. 
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/10/05 10:11:00 (permalink)
    It depends on what you are fishing for what pound test you use,  the main thing is to practice with the reel  so that you prevent the back lash's from happening in the first place. You will always have them but you can keep them to a minimum by setting your tension correctly, thumbing the spool, letting the rod "load" with the weight of your lure instead of snap casting, and practicing. If you have enough of a yard or some other place to do it in, get a screw eye from the hardware store and a stick to the approximate size and weight of a lure stick the screw eye in and cast cast cast. You will look like an idiot to your neighbors but your casting will be improved and you will be able to place the lure where you need to when on the water. Also, my mistake, the 65# test is 15lb diameter not 17lb diameter.

Good luck,

Jacob
    AK22
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/10/07 23:25:19 (permalink)
    The biggest mistake that people make with braided line is cranking the drag down tight because the line is rated heavier. If the drag is too tight the line will dig into itself and when you cast you will get a huge birdsnest.
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/10/09 06:00:46 (permalink)
    I have 2 300s i use with either 65 or 80lb braid. In a night of muskie fishing i may do 300-400 casts with maybe 1 or 2 backlash. With the heavy braid it is never bad, sure the line may dig in but a firm pull of the line it come out and usually it has only one "loop" in the spool grab it and pull bird nest free and your fishing. I will not lie when i get them not more than 5 secounds it takes to correct the issue. Pop the side plate off set three of the six pins brakes and you will have a casting machine with just minor fine tune of the external knob.

side note my reels do not like to get wet, in moderate rain you do need to thumb the reels more they like to "run" when they get soaked.
    The Tuna
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/11/04 15:21:52 (permalink)
    Maybe I'll give the braided line a try.  I've been in Connecticut on business the last month or so and have ventured out onto the beach on Long Island Sound and caught me a 32" Bluefish and 3 large Tautogs (locals call them Blackfish) using the 20lb mono I described.  No breaks, only one minor snag.  The bluefish I caught using a steel leader, obviously.   What a thrill it was catching that blue on the 300 DSV with a mooching rod.   Never saw a fish move from L to R so fast.   Released the blue, kept the Togs
    post edited by The Tuna - 2009/12/02 14:57:56
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/11/09 18:22:36 (permalink)
    i read of and issue with braid line that it has cut into the spool itself? is this true but to me in my opinion it jsut doesn't warrent the cost of the line for less stretch.

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/11/10 10:03:29 (permalink)
    The early lines had a tendency to cut in more so than todays lines. Don't get me wrong, they still do but as stated above, setting your drag correcly pretty much eliminates this. As far as the cost, $200 reel and you want to put one line on it because it's cheaper, does not make a lot of sense to me. The main thing you have to look at is that this line has no memory I.E. you will not have that forms ringlets once it has been on the spool for any length of time. Also, mono will degrade when exposed to sunlight making it over time become brittle and weak, ever tie your knot, test it and it breaks? Thats what the sun does to mono. Lastly, here is a biggy, once your line becomes worn and freyed looking, run out all your line, tie the old end to your backing, reel in and viola! you have fresh line! Yep, you can use it twice now your at under $10/spool just by flipping your line! Really there is no reason not to run braided unless your trolling where you want the strech to help with snags but that seems to be a job for a floro leader then you get good abrasion resistance, strech, and it's all but invisable!

Good luck,

Jacob
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/11/10 16:44:18 (permalink)
    well jacob i guess it is to each his own but like i said to put a line on that will damage the spool just so i have no stretch seems a lil out there.and with mono you can go with a flouro line basicly invisable.And as for braid being easy to untangle and it may be me that line was a total bear.i can use the mono to practice with and if i get a nest i have no problem with ripping it off because i got 1500 yards of line for like 10.00 on sale at bass pro.Now if i was a tournament pro and the line was my bread and butter maybe the cost is worth it.But than i would prob get it for free through some company.
    post edited by fishenfool46 - 2009/11/10 16:46:32

signed God
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/11/11 09:45:17 (permalink)
    When I said "cut in" I was not referring to it cutting into the spool it's self, I was talking about the line tightening in between the other wraps on the spool and cinching down. It is just burying into the line on the spool not the spool directly. No cutting of the spool or damage to it, just have to pull some line off the spool and reel it back in under tension. This was more prevelant years ago when the could not make the line round as it is now but was more flat and would bury in easier. Truth be told I have never heard of it damaging the spool, don't know how that could possibly happen...... It did have a tendency to eat line guides but now the vast majority of line guides are ceramic specifically because of superlines. I know of mono eating into the pin on a spincast which is the same thing that would happen with any line, but I still don't see how it could damage the spool itself especially cutting into it. I back my line with 20# mono for 1/4 then top it with braid. The reason being is that braid is coated, and does not get the grip that mono does on the spool so what happens is that the line pulls off despite how well the drag is set. I missed a few walleyes once because of this.... blamed the line, blamed the reel, looked into it and blamed myself. You can also wrap your spool with electrical tape or duct tape and then go with strait braid so that it does not slip but I have never tried that. Once again to each his own, but I know what I will be doing.

Jacob
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/11/11 19:28:08 (permalink)
    thanks for the info jacob i learned a few things i diodn't know before
    which is always a good thing.ff46

signed God
    The Tuna
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/12/02 15:03:39 (permalink)
    When I was fishing up at the Walnut Creek Marina last saturday and it was too cold & windy to go out on the lake or the Trout Run beach I got out the Curado 200 DHSV that I have since lined with braided line, and although it behaved well and cast well I did get one major birds nest on one cast that took me the best part of a half hour to unravel.  Don't know exactly what caused it, but I suspect it may have been buried line that JAH describes above because my bait seemed to fly out about 30 feet and then hit a wall and fall straight down, and there was no other reason for it that I can think of, really.
    post edited by The Tuna - 2009/12/02 15:07:22
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/12/02 19:28:12 (permalink)
    I now have 5 curado 300s. None of them have less than 80lb now. They cast perfectly, but like i said before they do have a temper when they get wet. In a rainy day, about the time to get the inners wet they will "fly off the handle" but the great thing with very heavy braid is it pickes out very fast.

Tips look at my first post about the loop. also Jah1317 talks about the dig in, sometimes when you can not find the loop, take the line just outside the reel and firmly and slowly pull ,like your a fish, on the line. When i get a brain stumper this trip almost always bails me out. Soem time the dig in is enought to stop the cast, or get out the last bit of a bird nest. Side note if you lay a hook set on a unmovable object, and then free the bait, that hook set could have created a dig in. So check that also.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/12/12 20:58:08 (permalink)
    Picked up a 301DSV @ Gander today....marked down to $112.  Couldn't pass it up.  Now I gotta build a rod to put it on!
    AK22
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/12/20 15:28:21 (permalink)
    How does the Curado handle bucktails and bigger spinners? Reason I'm asking is because i see it has a 6.2:1 gear ratio. 
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2009/12/20 21:36:51 (permalink)
    It works well enough, i never feel that the dc10s outmatch the reel. I sold my red isis because my curados can handle it all. Also let it be known i may throw dc10s maybe 1/2 hour every few trips, have not had a ton of luck with them. For dc8 and single blade tails i have no problem burning them all day, I have a few safty pin spiners with 10s and again no problem.

I had my first failer on these reels on saturday, not the reels fault. The reel kept icing up and it built up on the side of the line spooling guide well i should have cleaned it more and it got packed up and i kept reeling hopeing to get another cast.... well now i will be buying the peice and fixing it. Not the best reel for below freezing, infact that would go for most low pros with braid.

Being realistic, i have put at least 10,000 cast throught this reel since i have owned it (probably more) from 1/2 oz being the lightest to 8 oz bulldawgs average bait 3 oz. It does what i ask of it. I will run these till i can not anymore.
    Don B
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/14 15:31:46 (permalink)
    I have 301's that I use for catfishing. Personally, I don't think too highly of braid for lots of casting, or for long life on your rod guides. I've used it for a few years, and have switched back to mono for most applications, but not all. No line is perfect for everything.

My personal favorites for musky fishing.... Casting: Shimano Cardiff 301's, 20 lb. or higher mono with steel leader/ 7' or longer MH rod....Trolling: Shimano Cardiff 401's, spooled with 65 lb. or higher braid, also with steel leader/ 7' or less H rod.

Those are just my opinions from personal exp. I do change things up sometimes, depending on the conditions.
    post edited by Don B - 2010/01/14 15:33:34
    The Tuna
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/15 11:20:53 (permalink)
    I'd been seeing alot of the Curado 100D and 200DHSV and 300DSV models for sale on eBay.   And have even bought a few of them.   But my bidding always stopped around $100 for the 100's and 200's and around $120 for the 300's.    Don't know if Gander's limited inventory of this 2006 model is depleted yet.   I bought 2 at the Gander Mountain near Century III Mall.   But as long as those clearances were going on I couldn't believe people were actually bidding $140+ on some of these models unless they were a couple hundred miles from the nearest Gander Mountain.   I'm guessing that the E models will be all that's left soon and those are $180 plus.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/16 06:29:35 (permalink)
    What gander store are you guy's getting these reels????? I think a buddy of mine is looking for these reels. I have think seen them at the one in Washington pa but not the one at Robinson. I'll be heading to gander in Washington and then to cabelas in the next week or so Thanks Dave
    post edited by BIGHEAD - 2010/01/16 06:35:12
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/16 09:48:06 (permalink)
    Got mine @ West Mifflin....last one in the case.
    The Tuna
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/18 08:58:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trout About

Picked up a 301DSV @ Gander today....marked down to $112.  Couldn't pass it up.  Now I gotta build a rod to put it on!

One of my 100D's is going on that old glass flyrod that you have modified for me. 
    The Tuna
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/18 09:22:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BIGHEAD

What gander store are you guy's getting these reels????? I think a buddy of mine is looking for these reels. I have think seen them at the one in Washington pa but not the one at Robinson. I'll be heading to gander in Washington and then to cabelas in the next week or so Thanks Dave

I bought some Curados at Greensburg and some at West Mifflin/Century III.    I think the kid at Greensburg told me that some of the older Curados were available at Washington but that was some time ago.   But if you can get your hands on a 300DHSV they are sweet.    It will work on most saltwater applications (muskie also) as long as you are not trying to cast too light a lure.   I was using mine to cast these 2oz spoons off the beach in FL to catch bluefish.  I've thrown lures as light as .333oz with the Curado 200DHSV going after steelhead.   Lighter than that and you are asking for a ratsnest.  But with the Curado 100D I've tossed steelhead offerings that were as light as 6 grams without a problem.  
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/18 10:06:13 (permalink)
    I have casted 1/2oz baits my 300d with 80lb braid and she casted just fine. I the cast were not as far as my 3 oz baits but it was still dead on where i was aiming
    mde42k
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/23 22:14:17 (permalink)
    i think there might be one 300 left in stock, i work in the fishing dept. at the gander in west mifflin. ill double check tommarow if anyones interested
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/24 05:55:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guy's. My buddy bought one at the gander in wash. and ordered one online. Went to both the gander Washington store and cabelas Friday. Only found a couple items, But really could not find anything i don't already have. LOL Wife says I should open a tackle store out of the spare room. I said OK but then I will have go and restock The selves LOL Dave
    post edited by BIGHEAD - 2010/01/24 06:03:05

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    Javelin
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Shimano Curado 300DSV 2010/01/24 11:52:49 (permalink)
    I came across some additional info on 300 curado on another forum.
    http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?

I guess the 300E has an extra bearing, and a titanium line guide. But it looks like if you guy's buying the older 300DSV have any problems you can send it back and they will upgrade it.
    post edited by Javelin - 2010/01/24 11:55:11
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: