Please help me!

Author
young
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/23 17:25:33 (permalink)

Please help me!

I am 14. I have been fishing since I can remember. My dad died when I was 6 so I mostly taught myself.

My mom took me to Salmon river to fish this month and I hooked like 5 salmon but I can't get them in. I know how to fight fish but my line was not strong enough. I was using 12 pound test leader and I got no strikes. Then I went down until I hit 6 pound test and I started getting strikes. But I kept loosing the fish with that small line. When I went up to 8 pound I didn't get any strikes again!

My mom is going to take me one more time before the run is over. What should I do??

22 Replies Related Threads

silverman47
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/23 17:44:49 (permalink)
    Try florocarbon as your final tippet, get a spool in 8, 12lb test.  You failed to mentioned are you fishing a flyrod or noodle rod.  With a flyrod rod you want to build a leader with the butt where it conects to the fly line being around 25lb, the mid section being 15lb, and your florocarbon tippet being 12, or eight. 

Better yet go to the fishing salmon river library on this the main blue page for this site and it will give you good details on how to set up your terminal tackle for flyrod or a noodle rod.  It will give you a better idea than I can. 
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/23 17:54:11 (permalink)
    Get some Seaguar 8lb. leader material or seaguar carbon ice 6 & 8lb.Drennon 8lb also super strong.if you can land 50% of the kings you hook,in the mouth,you are doing great.Keep the rod tip low and try not to horse the fish.The odds are in their favor,take your time,most of the guys have no problum with kids fighting a fish,and the ones that do,too bad.Also, get your self a good net boy,take a buddy,I am running out of them.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/23 18:01:19 (permalink)
    I flyfish & use 12# Flourlflex (0X or 2X- I forget) for about everything up there.

Lyrical
    young
    Avid Angler
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/23 18:12:22 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.

I use a spinning rod that is 8 1/2 feet long. I am using fluorocarbon from Maxima because it is cheaper. Does Seaguar make much of a difference? 

I was keeping the rod tip high. That's how I get in the huge carp and stripers and stuff that I catch. You know hold it up until they stop running then real down and pull up again. I learned that way from books and videos. Is that a bad way for salmon?? I thought you're always supposed to keep the tip up?

Any tips on fighting them? They always go way upriver or way down river. I had some on for 10 minutes but they never stopped pulling! They never got tired! I don't know how I can get them to the shore!

I have a big net. But I go by myself. My mom drops me off and looks at some shops. She can't come to the river she is disabled.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/23 19:48:21 (permalink)
    Side pressure & yes- sometimes you've gotta follow if it can be done SAFELY!. Be patient- Kings are the strongest fish I've ever battled pound for pound.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/23 20:33:10 (permalink)
    You can use fluro if you wish but for salmon I personally think it's a waste of money. Never have a problem with mono. If you fish broken water and moving, staging fish they will not be line shy. If you are fishing flat water, pools or pressured fish then yea they will be scared as heck and will move as far away from line as possible. I would suggest using 12lb and fish broken water. To me with a depth of 4>6' deep. My thoughts as to why you are hooking more fish with 6lb test is (and I don't mean this personally) is they are being lined (not on purpose).
    Try the above and see what happends.

As for fighting: Side pressure.. when pulling straight up you are pulling the hook toward the surface and the fish as well. They don't like that at all and will keep pulling back.
    Side pressure lets you keep the fish down and steers the fish in the direction of the rod.

You did well and had some hook ups now all you need is to refine and hone the skills...

Good Luck !!!

P.S.
    Salmo: nah, brookies baby !!!
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/09/23 20:35:22

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    young
    Avid Angler
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/23 23:45:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice. I know I didn't line the fish I was catching. I watched them chase my bait and eat it. And it was slack water. It was special eggs treatment I learned from an old guy.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/24 14:23:58 (permalink)
    I think the water levels dictate the line strength of the tippet required. The higher the flow the stronger the line.

I learned a few valuable tricks years ago for fighting Salmon.

If the fish is holding in current and refuses to budge, then you should hold your rod parellel to the ground and exert side pressure to knock it off balance.  Keep your hands on the handle of the rod, dont grab the rod midway or you may hear a frightening crack of thunder !!!

I don't use a net - so when I get the fish in close I will loosen the drag on the reel. I do this because many times when the fish feels it's belly rubbing the river bottom it will oftentimes make a final sudden bolt for freedom. If your drag is locked down at this critical moment in most cases you will break off.

If you plan on tailing the fish, please be careful and check to see if it is adorned with various bits of jewelry in the motor end..

Good luck.

young
    Avid Angler
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/24 15:52:41 (permalink)
    What should you do when they motor up or down stream? Rod tip low and toward the bank?
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/24 16:43:03 (permalink)
    What type of reel are you using? Make sure your drag is set properly for the # test your using.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    young
    Avid Angler
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/24 19:02:35 (permalink)
    I am using a pflueger. The drag is very smooth. 
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/24 20:24:19 (permalink)
    someone should take this kid out for a day...

good luck kid, sounds like you're well on your way... keep at it!
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/26 11:01:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: young

Thanks for the advice. I know I didn't line the fish I was catching. I watched them chase my bait and eat it. And it was slack water. It was special eggs treatment I learned from an old guy.

Young,
    You sound well beyond your years with the knowledge you've conveyed. You're 14 years old and treat your own eggs, understand the use of  different size leaders, and flouro setups for your spinning reel, and seem to be able to read the water. I would say you pretty much have a good hold on fishing at such a young age. If the salmon get in the current or decide to head back to the lake I don't think theres to much any of us can do about it. Set your drag properly and as mentioned you sometimes have to chase them to retrieve them, and caution at your age should be used in doing so. It can be a very dangerous place especially when fishing alone. You are well on your way but if it's any consolation, I think the majority of us tend to have alot of breakoffs compared to landed fish.  Good Luck.
    Jaycr3183
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/26 12:24:34 (permalink)
    Hey young, I am goign to be up there on sunday and monday, I fly fish but will take you out on the river if you want to, to show you the ropes.  It wasnt long ago I was in your shoes, so I know where your coming from.  I am always on AIM instant messenger with my same screen name that i use on here.  I have all of the tackle you need and if you want to, I MIGHT even let you try to catch a king on the fly rod! Theres nothing worse than not having fishing buddys!  I am going up with 4 other guys and I knwo that if I tell them you wanna tag along and watch and learn and get taught, they will not have a problem.  Hit me up, like i said i am leavign tonight and will be fishing sunday and monday bub.  And if it doesnt happen, take everyones advise and give it hell little dude!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/26 17:12:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jaycr3183

Hey young, I am goign to be up there on sunday and monday, I fly fish but will take you out on the river if you want to, to show you the ropes.  It wasnt long ago I was in your shoes, so I know where your coming from.  I am always on AIM instant messenger with my same screen name that i use on here.  I have all of the tackle you need and if you want to, I MIGHT even let you try to catch a king on the fly rod! Theres nothing worse than not having fishing buddys!  I am going up with 4 other guys and I knwo that if I tell them you wanna tag along and watch and learn and get taught, they will not have a problem.  Hit me up, like i said i am leavign tonight and will be fishing sunday and monday bub.  And if it doesnt happen, take everyones advise and give it hell little dude!

That's a great offer you've extended. Welcome aboard & tell us more about yourself!

Lyrical
    Jaycr3183
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/26 23:52:45 (permalink)
    Well I am from Kingston NY and I am goign to be leaving my house to head up there in t minus 45 minutes!  I fish the salmon river atleast 7-8 times a season, mostly for the salmon run but lately have been targeting more browns and steel.  Since I am from Kingston, I live right on the Hudson River.  Every spring the annual striper migration comes in and i fish them HARD!  We (my fishing partner and I) put over 100 stripers in teh boat this season with the biggest one topping out at 49.7 lbs.  Also would liek to note that last weekend while fishing DSR, i landed my largest ever king on 8 lb tippet which was 32 lbs. I was stoked.  Even though it is a 4 hour trip, i love fishing with guys that want to fish! If your interested in fishing and not ripping, hit me up and we will hit the river together to get some of those salmon, brownies or steelies!  Keep em tight boys!
    dadeeo66
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/27 08:08:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jaycr3183

A very generous offer and what we need more of, in order to pass what we know to upcoming generations of fishermen. They will be, after all, the future keepers of the fisheries. 
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/27 16:53:53 (permalink)
    Very cool. Big fish. You're blessed.

Lyrical
    hiram
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/29 12:21:39 (permalink)
    I am not sure where you live or even if it is logistically possible, but with your mother's permission, I would be willing to help you land your first fish.  I have all the equipment, you only need hip boots or waders.  Just send me a message and maybe we can work something out.  Remember, your mother has to be comfortable with the arrangement, she might even want to come along to take pictures which would probably be a good idea. 
    FINLESSBROWN
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/29 17:33:32 (permalink)
    aS YOU CAN SEE, i JUST SIGNED UP-- i'VE BEEN READING POSTS FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW, AND "YOUNG" MADE ME WANT TO JOIN IN--HE'S THE POSTER BOY FOR 'FUTURE FISHERMEN OF AMERICA', ECEPT HE'S WAY BEYOND ME WHEN i WAS 14 (I GREW UP ON LONG POND, BELGRADE LAKES, MAINE, AND THOUGHT I WAS DECENT AT IT)
    BEEN FISHING PULASKI FOR 10 YEARS NOW, AND ALWAYS WITH A 9', 8WT FLYROD, RYALL HD REEL HAS A GREAT DRAG AND TAKES A BEATING, FLOATING GREEN OR ORANGE LINE: I CAN TRACK THE HOOKUP BETTER THAT WAY AND HELPS OTHER GUYS SEE IT IF I (SORRY) CANT CONTROL THE MISSILE THE WAY I'D LIKE.  8' 15LB LEADER, 6' 10 LB FLUORO "TIPPET". i LEAVE ABOUT A 3" TAG END (OFF OF THE 15LB LEADER LINE AT THE HANDSHAKE) TO ATTACH ANY SPLIT SHOT I MIGHT NEED ABOUT 3' UP FROM THE FLY PATTERN. 6/8/4 SIZE FLIES. HOW DOES THAT SOUND GUYS?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/29 19:25:29 (permalink)
    I have fished an 8 wt. all my days up there too, except when it explodes & I need to pull out a backup club.
    I use more traditional leaders (I tie my own) down to 0X (12#) Flouro.. The thinner leaders I messed with some last year, but I prefer more traditional tapers for the slinging I do.
    Your setup seems good to me.
    Welcome aboard!

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Please help me! 2009/09/29 20:54:24 (permalink)
    sounds good, just don't attach that weight to much further than 4 ft. from hook
    Jump to: