State College area archery hunting

Author
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/27 21:07:00 (permalink)

State College area archery hunting

I just moved up here for school last week and I am frantically searching for some areas to try hunting.  So far all I have come across are the gamelands down the road....cant say that it looked to promising.  I spent several hours hiking and exploring and I found no major sign, and little food for the deer. the terrain is much different than I am used to coming from north Pittsburgh area.  So much for the 300 acre tracts I am used too.  I was hoping one of you guys familiar with the terrain here could help me out.  Perhaps other areas to try or some advice pertaining to the game lands.  Im not asking to hunt from one of your treestands but just a GENERAL area to get me started up here.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Chris

13 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/08/31 08:36:53 (permalink)
    Man Ill give you a hint, you should have kept driving past the gamelands. You werent too far from good hunting. In fact, for you I would take a look at Scotia Range area, PSU ag progress lands, theres a tract right up by beaver stadium, come under the bridge of I99/322 towards the game lands, take a right. Theres the state forest out towards huntingdon. Drive more!

Email me if you want, Ill take a google  map or something and draw some areas on it for you to look. Cant give you my favorite spot but Ill put you on some public land.

jlh42581@yahoo.com
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/08/31 15:00:34 (permalink)
    Now I'll definitely be killin' your buck J.  I'm gonna run over it a bunch now and feed the horns to the squirrels. 

Exo -- hunting the big mountain is far different than flat land.  It is intimidating but it's just like fishing big water for steelhead.  90% of it is no good and 10% is golden.  Deer feed low and bed high.  They generally head up the mornings and down in the evenings.  You'd want to hunt above them in the morning and below them in the evening.   Any trail that runs up and down is a transition and any trail that runs sideways is a bedding area.  Look for places that funnel deer, any hollow, edge, or ridge.  My favorite it a combination of those.  A ridge edge in a hollow where laurel meets an old cut.  Focus down low in the early season, high the 2,3,4,5 weeks and low during the rut.  After the first day of rifle head to the rocks and laurel.  Obtain topo maps and aerial shots and look for edges and changes in elevation and streams for warm days.  Deer sign will never be obvious on the big mountain.  They don't have to be anywhere at anytime and wind direction will dicate which way they go.  A trip up over the mountain is cake walk for whitetails but a ball of sweat for us.  Windy days hunt the pines (these fill the hollows), laurel, and southeast side of the mountains.  The northwest side of mountains .. the wind blows down most of the time making morning hunts difficult.   PM me if you want to go for a hike (in the truck).   Stumbling around the woods aimlessly is bad news around here.  Deer don't exist everywhere.  We'll go hit Jermey's buck maybe.  But we have to let him hunt it all season before we tell him though.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/08/31 16:35:05 (permalink)
    Can I ride along when you hit Jeremy's buck? I'll bring gas money/beer.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/08/31 19:15:11 (permalink)
    First of all I must give my thanks to Jeremy...I went out today and did some nosing around at one of his recommended areas and found quite a bit of sign, at least I have my foot in the door now. 
    Silverkype, seems like some great information, it is very intimidating in these big woods.  I used to hunt some massive areas back home, some of them were close to 400 acres.  I think the area today I scouted is only about 100,000 acres.  If you are offering I would be more than willing to stumble down some mountains with you...hunting here is very different than the 200 acre farms I am used to.

Chris
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/08/31 19:41:23 (permalink)
    Sure thing drake.

Exc .. I'm out most nights.  Let me know if you want to go some night next week.  What's your weekday schedule like?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/08/31 20:12:27 (permalink)
    Im done with classes by 2:30 every day.   So any weekday after that works.

Chris

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/08/31 22:15:04 (permalink)
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/09/01 12:35:56 (permalink)
    Exo-- I'll get a hold of you next week.  I'll be out Wednesday evening. 
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/09/01 21:15:21 (permalink)
    You both are asking for it!

Just imagine what a dove cram'd inside your air intake would smell like about mid october.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/09/01 21:57:24 (permalink)
    Hate to disappoint J but my air intake in under the hood not in the normal place.. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/09/07 12:25:31 (permalink)
    Stone valley is pretty good, especially for turkey, ran into 3 different flocks in one day.  Gamelands past tofttrees is also good, especially for pheasant along with the corn fields out by the fish lab and experimental buildings which is owned by PSU.  Rothrock is another place but a large chunk of woods.  I hunted ducks in the astronomy field, there is a small pond in the middle of the corn that gets a lot of birds out by toftrees.  If you want more spots go to the tree house (forestry fraternity), those guys know some good spots, especially for bear.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/09/07 12:49:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: scaremypsu

Stone valley is pretty good, especially for turkey, ran into 3 different flocks in one day.  Gamelands past tofttrees is also good, especially for pheasant along with the corn fields out by the fish lab and experimental buildings which is owned by PSU.  Rothrock is another place but a large chunk of woods.  I hunted ducks in the astronomy field, there is a small pond in the middle of the corn that gets a lot of birds out by toftrees.  If you want more spots go to the tree house (forestry fraternity), those guys know some good spots, especially for bear.

Dont they have a stuffed eagle from like the 20s?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: State College area archery hunting 2007/09/11 07:46:22 (permalink)
    They got a few living ones J.  Two balds and a huge golden. 
    Jump to: