Waders

Author
smallhook
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/23 23:04:21 (permalink)

Waders

I've been Fishin all spring and summer using neopremes.  All of my buddies and even my son are using breathables.  These neopremes are two years old and after two years of heavy fishing they still don't leak.  I want to buy a pair of breathables but I've heard too many people complain about them leaking after 30 or 40 uses.  What kind of waders are you guys using?  Are breathables gonna be warm enough even with fleece pants for steelhead fishing?  My kid bough these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0011541&navCount=2&parentId=cat350005&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat350005_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat350005&rid=

But I'm looking at these too:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat350005&rid=&indexId=cat350005&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=5&parentType=index&parentId=cat350005&id=0036429

The Toggs that Fishusa looks good too:

http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?url=Toggs-Pilot-Togg-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Waders&i=040EBDAC595D481F892FC4A36F69608C&fx=1

Any help here guys?

7 Replies Related Threads

luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Waders 2007/08/23 23:25:12 (permalink)
    I've got a $50 pair of Hodgman's from Gander mtn. that I've been using for 4 years without a problem. 

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Waders 2007/08/24 17:00:27 (permalink)
    i have the second ones you listed, the gold medal dry plus's. in all honesty they are a bit heavy but you can tell just by wearing them that they can take a serious beating. if i wasnt so hard on waders i probably would have went for something lighter but im brutal. if you are too i suggest getting those.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Waders 2007/08/24 19:40:27 (permalink)
      The Wade lite 2's last me a little over a season. Bought a new pair of breathable
    Fenwicks last week for $10 buckaroos. Hope they last a little longer & better than their reels. Simms gortex is one good way to go if you fish a ton. Breakin out the camo canvas next week, talk about tough.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho
           Crappy
    Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Waders 2007/08/25 09:12:45 (permalink)
    Smallhook- Check out the Cabela's "Guide Tech Dry-Plus Stockingfoot".
    They're very tough and light and the chest pouch is real handy. This is my 5th season w' em and I'm rough on waders.
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: Waders 2007/08/25 12:14:55 (permalink)
    I got a pair of cabelas dry plus.  I have had the 3 yrs.  No problems and I am pretty hard on them.  The only thing I do not like is I bought the ones with the boot on them.  You can feel everything on the stream bottom in them.  Feet tends to hurt by the end on the day.  I wear fleece pants under them and are okay till winter.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    rick28607
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Waders 2007/08/25 16:13:34 (permalink)
    i bought a pair of the $200 Simms waders, they are great, just be careful they dont hold up well thru briars, lol  i tore em second time i wore them but repaired them just fine with aquaseal   Rick
    post edited by rick28607 - 2007/08/25 16:14:18
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9691
    RE: Waders 2007/08/27 08:48:01 (permalink)
    Here's my take on this subject after owning a few pairs.  Taking care of them, is going to be your best way to keep them usable.  Some $10 waders will last as long as some $300 ones.  Hang them after every use, so they don't grow any mold.  When taking them off, stand on a piece of carpet or tupperware lid (so you are not stepping on gravel).  Try to be gentle taking them off and on, if they are not pulling right off, don't stress the seems.  Sit down on your bumper, and rock your foot loose.  Wash them per instructions, every good 20-30 uses.  If yours are anything like mine, there are fish scales and blood all over, which are going to attract fungus.

If the way you treat them is equal, then here is my suggestion.
    Gore Tex are likely going to last the longest.  They are strong and breathable, and have products out, that will restore the water repelency (Nik Wax).  This didn't seem to work on a pair of Cabela's that I had, which were their highest line when I bought them 10 years ago.  Another bonus of Gore Tex, is most companies that use Gore Tex in their waders, have a great warranty.  Simms, LL Bean, and even Cabela's will replace 2 year old leaky waders.

That being said, a properly maintaned set of $70 waders, should last you 2-3+ years.  A properly mantained set of $200 Gore Tex waders should last you about 5-6+ years.  Money wise, the $70 would likely be a better deal, but you never know when they are going to decide to start leaking.  Nothing like being on the Erie tribs when it is 25 degrees, and you feel that slow leak starting.  Gore Tex, you can "recharge" them and ready to roll in about an hour.  The $70 brand forces you to drive around to the local shops, likely paying an extra 20% on a pair of waders to get you through your trip. 

A second pair of waders is always a good idea.  I like the cheap canvas/rubber Gander Mountain brand with the built in boots.  Work really good for the ocean, when it is cold.  Keeps the sand out of your shoes, and doesn't put the beating of the salt on your good waders (rinse after every use).  They serve their purpose, if your other waders spring a leak.  You'll sweet like crazy in the summer with them though, just like the neoprenes.  Neoprenes are great for cool weather fishing.  They are a little uncomfortable, for long hikes though.  They are a better option than my spare pair, for comfort though.  So if you have them as your back up set, then you are good to go.
    Jump to: