Lead shot

Author
Stcroixsteelie
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/06 15:33:03 (permalink)

Lead shot

Can somebody tell me what the regulation is with lead in NY? I heard its illegal to use and I've also heard you can use it it's just illegal to sell. Thank ya

4 Replies Related Threads

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Lead shot 2009/09/06 15:53:00 (permalink)
    Not 100% sure on use but I know you can't buy any lead weights smaller than I think a half ounce. Any bait shop up there will have all the alternatives to lead, such as tin, steel and bismuth. I know the NY DEC prefers not using lead.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Lead shot 2009/09/06 20:12:29 (permalink)
    New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Erin M. Crotty reminded fishing tackle retailers selling lead sinkers in New York State that, effective May 7, 2004, the sale of lead fishing sinkers weighing ½ ounce or less will be prohibited in New York State. Preventing the sale of small lead sinkers will help protect the Common Loon and other waterfowl from harmful lead contamination that occurs if the sinkers are ingested. "New York's abundant and diverse wildlife is among the many reasons why the sporting opportunities in our State are so great," Commissioner Crotty said. "By encouraging anglers to use equally effective, non-lead sinkers when fishing, we can help promote a healthier ecosystem in waters throughout New York State." Ingestion of small lead fishing sinkers has been linked to the mortality of loons and waterfowl. Lead sinkers can be mistaken by these waterbirds for the small stones and grit used to help digest food in their gizzards. They may also be ingested when a loon or other fish eating bird consumes a fish that still has a lead weighted hook or sinker attached to it. David Miller, Executive Director of Audubon New York, said, "This is just one more example of Governor George E. Pataki and the New York State Legislature working together to protect birds, other wildlife and their habitats. This initiative will prove immeasurably important to all waterfowl, but most of all to the loons of New York, which are especially susceptible to lead poisoning from split shot sinkers." The ban on the sale of lead sinkers ½ ounce or less includes all sales, including catalog and internet orders between out-of-state tackle companies and consumers in New York. The prohibition does not apply to larger lead sinkers, jig heads, weighted flies, weighted line or artificial lures. Although the use of lead sinkers is not be prohibited, anglers are encouraged to seek out lead sinker alternatives such as bismuth, steel and tin which are now readily available in tackle stores throughout the state. Lead sinkers from households can be taken to local household hazardous waste collection events or household hazardous waste collection facilities. Also, anglers in the Adirondack Park desiring to exchange lead sinkers for a sample of non-lead sinker alternatives may do so at fishing tackle supply stores participating in the Adirondack Cooperative Loon Program's (ACLP) Lead Sinker Exchange Program. For more information on the lead sinker exchange program or the impact of lead on loons and other waterbirds, contact ACLP at (518) 891-8836 or by e-mail at aclp2@juno.com. The ACLP can be found at www.adkscience.org/loons In addition, the Conservationist magazine is currently running a web-based promotion that offers a free package of non-lead sinkers with the purchase of a magazine subscription on-line. More information on the offer, which lasts until August 15, 2004, can be found by going to the DEC website at www.theConservationist.org .

Non-Toxic Sinkers The loss of sinkers and lures is a routine part of fishing. Unfortunately, lost sinkers, especially split shot, may be mistaken for food or grit and eaten by waterbirds such as ducks, geese, swans, gulls, or loons. Toxic effects of even a single lead sinker can cause birds to sicken and increases the risk of death through predation, exposure, or lead poisoning. As responsible anglers, we should seek to reduce the unintended effects on the natural environment and leave no trace of our presence. A trip to your favorite tackle shop will reveal a variety of alternatives to lead split shot, sinkers and jig heads. By switching to non-toxic sinkers with your next purchase, you can assure that your fishing tackle choices are helping to reduce the risk of lead poisoning to birds. New York State passed legislation that will prohibit the sale of certain lead sinkers. Beginning in May 2004, the sale of lead fishing sinkers (including "split shot") weighing one-half ounce or less will not be permitted. The new legislation (Environmental Conservation Law, Section 11-0308) regarding the ban of sale of small lead fishing sinkers states: S 11-0308.* Sale of small lead fishing sinkers prohibited.
  • 1. No person shall sell at retail or offer for retail sale lead fishing sinkers weighing one-half ounce or less. Each day of sale or offering for sale shall constitute a separate violation of this section.
  • 2. For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
    (a) "sinker" shall mean any device that is designed to be attached to a fishing line and intended to sink the line. Such term shall not include artificial lures, weighted line, weighted flies or jig heads.
    (b) "sell at retail" or "retail sale" shall mean the sale to any person in the state for any purpose other than for resale.
  • 3. The department shall provide notice of the prohibition of the retail sale or offering for sale of lead fishing sinkers weighing one-half ounce or less in the state fishing regulations guide.
    * NB Effective May 7, 2004  
    post edited by pghmarty - 2009/09/06 20:16:17
    fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Lead shot 2009/09/07 09:31:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Stcroixsteelie

Can somebody tell me what the regulation is with lead in NY? I heard its illegal to use and I've also heard you can use it it's just illegal to sell. Thank ya

You are basically correct. Any size is OK to use. You cannot buy smaller sizes in NY , you just can't purchase the little guys so come prepared.
    Stcroixsteelie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Lead shot 2009/09/07 14:24:25 (permalink)
    Thanks guys appreciate it
    Jump to: