Need help backing/line application amount for fly reel

Author
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/05 13:32:15 (permalink)

Need help backing/line application amount for fly reel

I have some 20lb braid that is equivelent to 6lb test mono diameter I was gonna use for backing - for my ross evolution 3.0 reel the chart states 175 yards of backing using a wf6 line however I am using a WF7 orvis line and they didn't state what pound test equivelent the braid was so would I put like 250 yards on being the diameter is thin ?

This is my first spool up so any help / recommendations will be appreciated .......

Also does the backing need to be applied evenly as possible across the reel ? How much room should I have left when applied between the outer reel and line ? I need to get a good castring distance and I think the line application may affect this ? Thanks DC

4 Replies Related Threads

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Need help backing/line application amount for fly reel 2009/09/05 13:55:50 (permalink)
    With 6lb test diameter, you should easily get the 250 yards that you want. The backing should be as even as possible. It's important to be put on evenly if you plan on having a fish take all your flyline out. I like having at least 1/4" of room between the line and outer reel. Some of my reels have more room than that just because I don't wanna buy that much backing lol.
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: Need help backing/line application amount for fly reel 2009/09/05 15:09:31 (permalink)
    My personal preference for backing is super braid, 80 or 100 lb test.  why super braid, because it  does not deteriate like dacron and will last forever, the life of the reel.  80 lb super braid is approx. the same diameter as 20 lb dacron. Cost is around $30 a spool.  Best way to attach backing to your fly line is with an albright knot. To get a smooth knot that passes easily through your rod guides, whip the knot with a fly tying bobbin and coat with about 3 coats of fly head lacquer. 

Best way to fill your reel with the right amount of line/backing is to wind the line on first then the backing and fill to about 1/8"  of the spool rim.  Then strip everything off and wind it back on, backing first then the fly line. Now you have a reel filled to just the right level, 1/8" from the outer edge of the spool.

Rarely will you get into your backing on any of the Pa. tribs, you will if you cast streamers off the trib mouths or in the harbors.  Bigger water like some of the NY or OH
    tribs may get you into the backing ocasionally.  In the 27 yrs I've been fishing the erie tribs I've never had a sthd take more than 50 yds of backing.

post edited by Plum Bob - 2009/09/05 15:12:28
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Need help backing/line application amount for fly reel 2009/09/05 17:12:47 (permalink)
    If you don't need it right away Jack is providing a 2500 YD  Spool of 30 Lb Backing at the One fly  Bring a spool and take what you need....  FREE......

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Need help backing/line application amount for fly reel 2009/09/05 19:05:34 (permalink)
    Thank you for your time and advice everyone .......... I don't know crap about flyfishing except give me lots of room if the stream is larger than I can roll cast which isn't very far. Watched "a river runs through it" for the millionth time last night so I am stoked to get into something with my new setup ! Might watch it again tonight .
    Jump to: