Daiwa exceler 100sh baitcaster braking system

Author
John68
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/02 12:51:32 (permalink)

Daiwa exceler 100sh baitcaster braking system

Just picked this reel up about a month ago, and have used it twice. I have been having quite a bit of trouble with it, but have never owned a baitcaster with 2 brake controls on it.  There is a brake control numbered 1-10 and the regular baitcaster brake on the other side(that I am used to).  Does anyone have any experience with the magforce-z braking system?   On a long cast, I can watch the reel pile up with backlash, but usually the line will end up coming out just ahead of the backlash so it corrects.  On short casts, the backlash piles up and doesn't correct before the lure hits the water.  

I set up the normal way, braking until the lure drops slowly, but for some reason, no matter what number I place the second control at, I still get backlash.  

I've never had this much trouble with a baitcaster before. I called daiwa this morning, and they said they have no instruction manual for using the braking system, but, since trial and error have gotten me only bigger bird's nests, I am stuck.

Figured I would ask here.

Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Daiwa exceler 100sh baitcaster braking system 2009/09/02 16:25:51 (permalink)
    well one side is the actual braking mechanism (the one numbered 1-10) the other side is the spool tension knob. truthfully if your tightening your spool tension knob to the point where the lure drops slowly thats way to much. some people will say tighten it till the lure drops and the spool stops and doesnt backlash. in my opinion (and i have all daiwa baitcasters but one curado) that spool tension knob should only be tightened to the point where you can barely and i mean barely move the spool side to side sitting in place. that spool needs to free float in order to make use of those mag brakes. it's not like centrifugal brakes that are mounted to the spool itself the magnetic doodad is in the sideplate and if you have the pool tension dragging back the spool those brakes are gonna be worthless. or at least it would seem to me.
    John68
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Daiwa exceler 100sh baitcaster braking system 2009/09/03 13:34:34 (permalink)
    Ahhh!
    That's better information than I got from Daiwa, and I was on the phone with them for almost 30 minutes.

I will have to play with it in the front yard this weekend, and go from there.  Thanks
    emko
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Daiwa exceler 100sh baitcaster braking system 2010/07/05 21:15:05 (permalink)
    I just bought this baitcaster as a combo on a 7ft Daiwa Exceler rod. The rod action is MH and immediately using 10lb mono I was casting a 5/16 crankbait as far as any spinning reel I own...and no birdsnest. I did cast with two hands, #6 set on the left, right tension set as described by pinoldrick, modest/light thumbing. I say for the money this will not disappoint the serious fisherman and is a good entry model. My 15 yr old son will attest to that.
    Jump to: