Record Breakers in 2009

Author
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/20 11:01:52 (permalink)

Record Breakers in 2009

I just realized how many New York State gamefish records were broken already during the 2009 season.  The latest record to fall was the Bullhead record when a guy down in Putnam Co/Westchester pulled out a monster (7+ pounds) from Lake Mahopac down there.  The previous record came from the same lake.

Here is what has set records so far in 2009:

Brook Trout:  5lbs 4.5oz  Raquette Lake 6/7/09
Brown Bullhead:  7lbs 6oz  Lake Mahopac  8/1/09
Fallfish:  3lbs 9oz  Susquahanna River  4/15/09
Walleye:  16lbs 9oz   Mystic Lake   1/20/09

That sure is a good sign to me!  I remember hearing about the monster Sacandaga Northern Pike as a kid when my Grandfather told me about the records fish from the 40s.  He told me "You will never see a fish like that again now, too many people and too many anglers".

It appears he may have been wrong, and perhaps as environmental conditions improve through clean-up, and fisheries are managed responsibly, this state can continue to grow some serious fish.

Which record falls next?  I figured the Brookie record was going down soon, and wouldn't be surprised if it falls again before too long.

But where is that next 11+lb largemouth coming from?  For those of you who don't know, the record fish came from Buckhorn Lake (Otsego County near Cooperstown) back in 1987...  11lbs 4oz...

Wow.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman

12 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 13:16:57 (permalink)
    Yeah it's pretty good stuff for sure. I saw a pic of that bullhead recently (yikes) !!!

After seeing all those monster pike on IS over the winter i would not be suprised by that.
    I could see a perch or crappie record falling.

As for the 11+ LMB ... that's going to be VERY tough IMO. 8's have been a little more common in some body's of water, haven't even heard of a 9-10lber in many many years ?!?!? My personal goal is to find an 8  

My 2-cents
    BB
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 14:19:42 (permalink)
    Largies might be the last to break a record, if at all...

But it sure does sound like the Smallmouth record will probably go down on Lake Erie pretty soon.  Lots of those tubby Bronzebacks continue to get fatter and heavier on those Gobies.  The record now of 8+lbs came from Erie back in 1995, but the potential for a bigger smallmouth surely exists.

I don't think anyone expected the walleye record to fall over the winter, either... 

The craziest thing about the Pike record is that it is not only the STATE record, but the NORTH AMERICAN record too.  I am amazed that a Canadian fish hasn't beat it.  I guess it goes to show you just how big that Sacandaga monster must have been!  I heard the guy ate it (just like the record Largemouth), but many replica mounts have been made. 

Supposedly this fish came from the Great Sacandaga a few years ago and was close to the record too.  I admit, it sure does look like Great Sac, but then again, who knows...  It is insane that a Pike *BIGGER* than this was swimming around in there.  Heck, maybe one still is?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 15:57:55 (permalink)
    Yeah- either way it wasn't a record-breaker...  No matter where it came from...

But it sure is eye-opening to think how big that 1940 fish must have been in Sacandaga!!! 

The dam (and reservoir) wasn't build until the 20s, so maybe that record fish was swimming in the river for a few years or something.  I don't think they live much beyond 15 years, but who knows!

Also- for the bottomfeeding crowd- the state record Carp came from Tommhannock- not too far away!  50lbs!

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 16:13:17 (permalink)
    Here is a 'replica mount' of the record toothy slob that came out of Sacandaga prior to WWII:

Jeepers...  Imagine lacing into a fish like this on a TIP UP!

I believe the record Northern was caught on a wooden surface plug.  I would have LOVED to see that strike!

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 16:19:25 (permalink)
    Next records to break will probably be brook trout, largemouth and carp.

I know for a FACT that there are largemouth in excess of the state record swimming in the Hudson, Ballston Lake and Saratoga Lake. (DEC has shocked largemouth in excess of 12lbs in all of those locations)

The Tomhannock has many more carp over 50lbs...my buddy caught one that was 44" x 34" - put that on a fish calculator and see what you get!!!

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 16:40:17 (permalink)
    Yeah Big Red!  That's what I am sayin'!!!

While my dear and departed Grandfather was surely one of the smartest men alive (and apparently one hell of a St. Lawrence Musky Fisherman), his assumptions that fishings 'Glory Days' were over by the early 80s has now been proven wrong. 

Records keep falling, and fish are surely getting larger!

I, for one, think it is awesome that there are still record-breaking fish in this state... 

I bet that brookie record gets broken again within a year...  Most likely from within 25miles of where the most recent record was caught this Spring.  That recent "Whitney Wilderness" aquisition opens uop a whole lot of trophy and untouched Brookie water up there.  The Vanderbuilt/Whitney families never allowed stocking of those huge private inholdings...  Who knows what could be swimming in those lakes!

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 16:40:57 (permalink)
    Yeah i remember the pic of that carp  ... you guys thought it was close until you did the numbers later and realized it was VERY VERY big !!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 16:42:55 (permalink)
    I am surprised more monster fish don't come out of the Hudson ... it has plenty of depth , cover , structure and bait fish. I would think we would be seeing monster fish of all species coming out of there.

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 17:01:42 (permalink)
    Jimmy, that new land aquired and all its untouched lakes is exactly what I had in mind mentioning the brookie record. Those places have received only neglible fishing pressure since they were first aquired back in the early 19th century.

The thing about the "glory days" was that there was a period in the 30's to 50's where fishing exploded in popularity and large fish were being taken out of lightly fished waters. AS pressure increased along with pollution in the 60's it really cut down on the overall fishing productivity across the state. As the 70's came to a close, alot of the watersheds in NY started to really clean up, combine that with advances in fishing techniques in the 90's, and the explosion of Catch&Release and CatchPhotoRelease philosophy and we are really in a modern GOLDEN ERA of fishing. Its a great time to be a fisherman in NY.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 21:05:28 (permalink)
    Man, Red, great minds think alike...  I couldn't agree more, nor have said it better myself...

The past 25 years of ecological clean-up, changes in management and fishing philosophy, and the advent of electronics and soft plastics have surely brought back some truly big-game fishing in New York.

I am sure not all agree- but to me it just seems to get better every year... 

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Record Breakers in 2009 2009/08/20 21:21:14 (permalink)
    For sure C&R works very well for fish that are not mortaly wounded I will say nothing pumps the blood when you know its a "good" fish no mater what species.

As for new records ? Yea more people getting out accounts to the recent boom. C&R huge factor.
    Another brookie ??? I don't know , I think it may be a splake next spring.. I have a friend hunting them this fall & next spring...
    I have caught some real nice brookies in 18>19" range but cant break 3#'s weight wise.. I think spring before anyv stockings is the best opportunity but they sure do put on a display in the fall..
    3 day brookie trip planned Sept-11>13th.. Ranger Jim ??? great pond, 3 miles ^ .. Maybe a new record this fall

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Jump to: