Great News!

Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/19 10:41:42 (permalink)

Great News!

I stole this from somewhere else. Who cares- it's good news for the SR...
http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2289

Lyrical

8 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Great News! 2009/08/19 10:47:26 (permalink)
    Good news indeed.   We stocked buckets of the little atlantics years ago in July.  The gulls had a field day with them.  The wild ones aren't bright blue like the stockies. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Great News! 2009/08/19 17:07:06 (permalink)
    Nice post. Good news. I wonder what the predation impact from the Kings, Coes, Browns, Sm. mouth, and Steel have on them? I would guestimate pretty high. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to have a larger diversity of fish, but, I can hear a certain segment of the fishing community already, "Stop stocking so many others species! They're killing off the Atlantics."

What is the future for them? More stocking/less stocking? Nat. repo? (Atlantics)

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Great News! 2009/08/19 21:47:14 (permalink)
    I guess these are good questions that may need answered if they wanna help them make a foot hold...

Lyrical
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Great News! 2009/08/19 23:01:04 (permalink)
    It seems others have a different prespective/outlook. I'm not saying which is right, though I lean toward restoration of native species.

PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU VOTE!!!!

The Atlantic Salmon Stocking program has been in the works for a number of years.

Chinook and Coho have been stocked in various numbers since before 1970. Many spinoffs from that decision to create a fishery. Economic benefits galore to many involved. Local business', (gas bars, tackle shops, restaurants, hotels, Fishing Tournament Organizers and the like.)

The forage base...like the grocery store only has so much food. The regulators since day one have maintained that stocking numbers from year to year are a direct result of what current and MORE IMPORTANTLY bait levels will SUSTAIN.

Introducing Atlantics is putting more fish in the lake...putting more strain on the forage base...and simple math says if you want to maintain the current catch rate on chinooks and coho...why add more of another species??? (dont forget the trout!) "Somethings Gotta Give"

--
    You are receiving this message because you are a member of the forum located at: http://spoonpullers.proboards.com/index.cgi

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Great News! 2009/08/20 08:51:41 (permalink)
    This could get good. I can hardly wait for the brandishing of swords.
    The most sickening thought in the world is having them come back in some fashion & watch buttholes snag them too!
    GOD I HATE SNAGGERS!

Lyrical
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Great News! 2009/08/20 17:33:44 (permalink)
    What is the carrying capacity for the lake? Is there room for increasing the species in the lake? We'll see what the DEC says. It's gonna get political.

I like the idea of having more opportunity to catch nice fish. From what my buddies told me, there were quite a few Atlantics caught this spring out in the lake. Seemed like more than average.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Great News! 2009/08/25 15:48:19 (permalink)
    The Atlantic Salmon is THE native salmoniod for lake O.However until they get a steady flow of water thru the summer it will be marginal IMO.
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Great News! 2009/08/25 16:07:54 (permalink)
    I think they should start looking at other waterways to maybe spread the wealth a bit and take some of the heat off of ontario. Like Champlain or any of the fingers that are deep enough with good forage base. I think they could overload here real quick and have ecological crash, however I would'nt mind an atlantic on the other end of the line, have'nt caught one them yet. Just an idea.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
    Jump to: