Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
gotanitch2fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/17 21:44:45 (permalink)

who should leave

last year while hunting public land on first day of buck,been going to same spot and stand for at least ten years in a row.shot two nice bucks and seen others but passed on.area we hunt is pymo small plots of land to begin with.last year a couple of guys set up tree stands 5ft from the spot i always sit, i get there half hour before shooting hrs as always and these guys show up 10 min later and climb into stands now who is crowing who and who should leave

34 Replies Related Threads

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/17 22:00:04 (permalink)
    Did you have a stand up? If not its hard for someone to tell that is your spot. No matter if you where there first or not , if you where on the ground and he walked in to get in his stand he probably is wondering why you are standing so close to his spot.
    post edited by rollcaster - 2009/08/17 22:01:40
    gotanitch2fish
    New Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/17 22:36:16 (permalink)
    first year for his stand and what does me being on ground have to do with whos spot it is. does having a tree stand reserve you a spot.
    gotanitch2fish
    New Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/17 22:37:13 (permalink)
    on public land
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/17 23:03:37 (permalink)
    First come first serve in my book, but they could figgure that they can see better than you and just climb anyway, thinking they will be able to shoot first.  They may also have no idea that you hunted there in the past. 
    post edited by MuskyMastr - 2009/08/17 23:04:33

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 06:23:45 (permalink)
    had a similar situation happen to us.  got permission on a property and guys from pittsburgh leased the property next to it. made a big heavy portable for my buddys dad to hunt out of and had to use a fourwheeler to pull it up.  came back a couple days before the season and the people from pittsburgh where there small game hunting and saw me check and were real rood and saying his dad hunted under that tree for yrs and i told him we had permission to hunt there and i couldn't move it by myself anyway.  we didn't hunt there the first couple days since they said they are only there the first three, so to avoid trouble didn't go in to the second week and they had the straps cut and the stand was down and broken in peaces.  After that happened i wish i would of left my little brother at home and went in really early on opening day and had a bunch of ppl drive the property out with me sitting under the tree.  they had no respect and no permission to be on that property, they didn't even hunt the property they leased but had it posted.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 08:37:28 (permalink)
    Not much you can do except get there first.   If it continues, it probably won't for long.   Newcomers won't hang around long if you are consistent.  In their mind, they probably don't enjoy having "their" hunt ruined by you.  Stick it out, try to talk to them, or move on.

I was watching a drop-tined 12 point last year.. waited all year for the correct wind..  finally got it like November 7.   Great morning, deer were chasing.  At 8:30, two guys pull up, get out and cut a tree down 75 yards from me.  They got a permit for 9 miles of road and they gotta cut down a tree 50 yards from my truck.   I drove the road afterwards, there was one other vehicle in the permit area - 9 miles of road, both sides wooded.   Nothing I could do really but I don't think they'll be doin' that again. 

I just got an email from a friend apologizing because he was a bit nasty with me.  We saw a 155-160" the other night and he was worried I was going to tell a few of my buddies, and one of them would go in and kill it...   I don't have any plans of hunting the buck or telling anyone but it's public land.  He's having a hard time accepting the reality of public property because he has property nearby and the buck is splitting his time on his property and public property.   The realization is that someone that has never hunted before could walk in there and kill him or if one of my buddies see him, watch out..  Just how it is.  That is why I never put feed or licks out in front of my cameras.  I feel that may give me a sense of ownership to those deer and that is not wrong.

There is no written law for respect, or lack of.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 08:47:39 (permalink)
    That's a tough one.  Personaly, I would like to see it illegal to set up stands prior to the season at least on public land or say they have to be removed every night.  Since there is this unwriten rule to stay away from other people's stands we feel obligated to do so.  But on the other hand it is PUBLIC land, and anyone has the right to hunt where ever they want. 

I have had that problem in the past and I just walk away.  There is just no point in getting into an argument in the dark when both people are carrying guns.  Similar situation to what happens opening day of duck every year.  Guys think they can take all their gear, boats and lights into the swamps the night before to "save" the spot, and go home and get a good nights sleep.  By 3:00 in the morning there are already 10 groups of guys standing there that got up at God knows what hour to get to that spot.  Who gets to hunt there?  Let me just say, duck hunters don't put up with that kind of crap.  This is the main reason why I only hunt private land now and have gotten out of waterfowl, it's just too competative and a lot of the guys now are jerks.

Let me ask you this.  If I were sitting in "your spot", on the ground, when you walked in what would you say?
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 08:49:58 (permalink)
    Man SK I have a buddy I used to hunt with that was like that..
    If he got several pictures of a nice buck ,THAT WAS HIS...
    Go as far as to take others stands that got to close, bothered other hunters that tried to hunt the area..
    Actually it was sad..And I no longer hunt with them....

I have to admit I usually name the bucks around here that I get on film..
    But I gotta say I never felt any sense of owning them..
    Had my target deer mind you, but never felt like they were just MINE.

As for your buddies deer, there would be 2 things I would do

1. Reduce my scouting trips on my own property so as not to push him out..
    2. Maybe a deer lick or food plot to help keep him to home...

These bucks have such a wide range you can't hardly keep them on 1 property..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 09:37:39 (permalink)
    You know bings, I don't hunt along the his property on public land.  Never have.  Out of respect.  Never asked to hunt his property either.  To summarize, he owns about 15 arces surrounded by public property.  Last year, his clan went into a prime area that he knows is my golden area, and I told him about, and did some driving in rifle season.  It is public property.  He actually jumped a big one too.  I never said anything.   I just figured he'd stay out of the area I told him about if I stayed away from his property line.   Apparently, that unspoken conversion never really existed like I thought (and hoped) it did.   I suppose it doesn't apply now either that he has a stud close to him ?? .. but I get the sense that he thinks it should.   Like I said, I have zero intent to hunt the buck, but I do have a spot I hunt about a half mile away, that does historically get cruising bucks.  He knows it, and he knows I know it.  This spot is outside of this "unspoken" zone, at least I feel it is.  I feel what we have as a friendship may be hanging in the balance here and it shouldn't be.  I've found plenty of huge bucks that have gotten killed by friends.   We work as a team.  There's little jealously, sure .. but more of a celebration when the big one falls.  The guys that put their time in will get their turn.  I always enjoy watching the seasons evolve.  Perhaps this year, a closer friendship will be made by him inviting me to hunt the deer with him or a potential strengthening friendship will be lost.   He is the only reason I'm not hunting that deer on the public property.  I value friendships, even just hunting season friendships, more than antlers.  Those that don't, I don't hunt with.  Guess we'll see..

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    gotanitch2fish
    New Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 10:23:43 (permalink)
    i agree on tree stand removal at end of every day,is tree stand on public land become public property and any one could use it pgc catches you in illegal stand its yours no matter what.i personally would continue walking by and have because someone was in my spot thats the way i was taught to respect others. also only hunt public never hunt private. many times walking into woods in the dark and hunters flashes light to let me know he's there and i continue on way to sit elsewhere.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 11:20:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gotanitch2fish
     does having a tree stand reserve you a spot.
    I say ya it kind of does in a way. The guy was looking for a good spot and he found yours, there is no way he knew it was your unless you had a treestand up. Mabey you should start putting signs up to reserve your spots. lol
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 11:25:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gotanitch2fish

i agree on tree stand removal at end of every day,
    Why? If you hauled in a ladder stand a couple of miles to use it there for the season, what is wrong with that as long as it is a legal stand.
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 12:10:35 (permalink)
    Simple, first one to the spot hunts it (Assuming proper permission).  Can't understand anyway else of looking at it. Oh, I forgot were talking about PA...lol.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 14:56:21 (permalink)
    Not sure if I agree with the pulling of stands every day..
    I'll have 6-10 stands set out at any given time during the season..
    I hunt mostly private ground that is open to the public..
    I think there are still at least a half dozen stands still out in the woods here..
    Have been up since last year and not the landowners....not mine either.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 15:12:09 (permalink)
    Seems like a pretty easy solution. Public land, first one in the woods gets the spot. Ganted, the second guy isn't going to be thrilled but a sportsman would walk away & find a different stand until his was open. I know I would...if I wasn't in the woods first.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 16:06:23 (permalink)
    Heck, I've had people try to throw me off of my own property..... that was the year before I posted it. What bothers me are the "friends" and "relatives" that think they don't have to ask  they walk withing 20 yards of my stand and wave on their drive, I've told them I don't appreciate it but they do it anyway. Now I have to be the a-hole and tell them not to come on at all if they can't respect my request. I let almost anybody hunt that asks and only have one rule: If I'm in there you shouldn't be.

BTW, still have 67 acres of good hunting for sale!
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 18:35:36 (permalink)
    build a nice fire with lots of smoke and guys in tree stands will hit the bricks..tree standers have no idea that is your spot..first  day just don't make any concrete plans for a stand , just keep moving until no lights or orange..has to be other spots close to where yu wanted to stand.."duck hunters" are the most ignorant hunters in the world of hunting. Had a  ****ula with 8 guys and 200 decoys out for 200 yards,, and a hunter came in with 6 decoys and crowded between our group, threw his 6 ducks out and sat there 25 yards between 2 groups of our gang, now that takes gonads..after we all stood behind him and told him he wouldn't get a shot at a duck,he packed up and left.."why hunt ducks???? there aren't any..
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 21:28:12 (permalink)
    Hell you got a gun, shoot him outa the stand
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 21:39:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Pork

Seems like a pretty easy solution. Public land, first one in the woods gets the spot. Ganted, the second guy isn't going to be thrilled but a sportsman would walk away & find a different stand until his was open. I know I would...if I wasn't in the woods first.

Thems tha "rules"...and I'm always in the woods first, that's never an issue. I'll sleep at my tree if nessacary. However....If the other "sportsman" don't wanna respect the "rules".....I'll leave...after I pee a circle around the tree, and have a couple of smokes.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    jrm45
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 284
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/18 22:03:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Heck, I've had people try to throw me off of my own property..... that was the year before I posted it. What bothers me are the "friends" and "relatives" that think they don't have to ask  they walk withing 20 yards of my stand and wave on their drive, I've told them I don't appreciate it but they do it anyway. Now I have to be the a-hole and tell them not to come on at all if they can't respect my request. I let almost anybody hunt that asks and only have one rule: If I'm in there you shouldn't be.

bull, where is your land?
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/19 09:02:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Thems tha "rules"...and I'm always in the woods first, that's never an issue. I'll sleep at my tree if nessacary. However....If the other "sportsman" don't wanna respect the "rules".....I'll leave...after I pee a circle around the tree, and have a couple of smokes.

Good plan of attack.

The first year I hunted my 15 acres I was out before anyone else. Sat up along the edge of my field, which was still standing corn, with only one good shooting lane down the edge. I could see into the wood for a good ways, but had only 1 good shooting lane. Well, just after daybreak some yayhoo from the hood comes walking down past me on the farmers right of way. He nods, I nod. He proceeds to walk right down to the end of my shooting lane & plop down about 300 yards infront of me. Leaving me in effect without a safe shot to be had. MAN I was steamed! Didn't know what to do, just knew my chances of bagging a deer were gone. So, I got to thinking about all the work around the house that needed done....and all the trees that had fallen around the edge of the field that could use cut up. Took my gun to the house, got my truck & chainsaw & went out and started cutting tree tops. The other guy lasted all of 45 minutes. Took the truck & saw back home, got my gun and went to my spot.

I was there first. My land.

No holds barred.
    post edited by Pork - 2009/08/19 09:03:26

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/19 10:37:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jrm45

ORIGINAL: bulldog1

bull, where is your land?

Southern Clarion County, almost dead center between Pittsburgh and Erie. It's both field and wooded, mostly wooded and currently has an old house that might be salvagable and a 150 year old barn that is currently rented for horses. Shoot me a pm quick  if you're interested, I'm listing with a realtor this week and I'd rather put that commission money in your pocket than theirs.

Oh, and there are nice bucks in the area!

post edited by bulldog1 - 2009/08/19 10:42:29
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/19 19:01:43 (permalink)
    I never had such a situation till last archery season. third week of October about 5 P.M. on a weekday evening, It is extremly thick where I hunt, I can hear someone but cannot see them after about ten minutes of them bumbling around I see a ladder stand go up in a tree about 60 yds away from me. The guy gets in it to put on the straps, i wistle and wave at him, he does not see me, I yell at him, he just continues to put the stand in. I get out of my stand(A climber) he is already on his way out and I did not catch up to him. I have killed some very nice bucks out of this area and it takes me minutes to get there so it is great for afterwork hunting, so I go back the next night.

Next night he shows up again same time, gets up in the stand and starts cutting down branches. Before he showed up I had seen a few bucks already so it seemed like a promising evening, so I was extremly ****ed off.I yell at him again, this time he acknowledges me and keeps cutting down the branches. I start to pack my things and drop my bow down and he gets out of the stand walks up. It is a guy who I knew hunted the area andhe knew where I hunted(his brother helped me drag a couple 100+ inch bucks), once I realize this I ask him if he minds staying out of the area, since I stay away from the area he is usually in. He tells me he has been hunting that property(private owned open to the public) for years and was not moving. after some mouthing back and forth, I know I can't say anything because I do not own the property but I asked him why he is doing this at prime hunting time when he knows I am usually in the area, he did not give a reason just says I will not be back till next week see you then.

I did not have to work the following day so I thought I would get one more day in that stand before he showed back up, this time in the morning. Sure enough the guy was back the next morning about 8:30 to cut more shooting lanes. I got out of the tree, went home and called a buddy. We blew the area up. Dumped bags of human and dog hair in a about a 50 yd cirlce around the stand, hung scent pads soaked in **** everywhere and got up in a couple of trees and tied metal pie plates with fishing string from branches the same height of his stand. I hate to act like a Richard but this guy knew I was usually there and ruined three hunts for me. Can't wait to see him this year.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/21 11:22:41 (permalink)
    here is a good one, last year my buddy was hunting archery and a guy came in with blaze orange on first week of archery, sat down 60 yards from him and waived to him, "public Land"..buddy was in tree stand, mr. ignorant left at sundown, talking on cell phone on way out of woods, not knowing another half hour of hunting was left. buddies dad saw what kind of vehicle he was driving, n.y. plates, suv. silver, next morning i am out  riding around and see this guy with orange on and decided to see what makes him tick, said he had been hunting that area for 9 years and had a blind built there, said so, guy was in tree stand before you got there, no comment, we left area, went to see if he had blind, couldn't find it, was walking out of woods, he pulled up and said did i find the blind, said no, and that he was just plain ignorant, he then walked me up to a branch in front of a tree and said see it now, told him that he didn't know the orange laws, did not know quiting time law, and definetely did not have any courtesy towards other hunters, got into a good argument, told him if i was 20 years younger i would kik his****all over these woods, we left..two days later i get call from state police, he was in there trying tohave me arrested for harrassment, can you believe this guy..???...told trooper he came to me and gave me a bunch of bull crap...psp did not think it was even a police matter, so he asked me if i threatened him, told him too old to fight but if was younger i would have kicked his but right there, he was in his 30's..told the guy he was going to arrest him also, so he dropped the incident..went back and took care of his blind, road killed skunk does wonders.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/21 12:31:42 (permalink)
    Mabey the guy knew there where some crazy people (you and your friends) hunting in the area so he wanted to wear some orange to feel safer. Sounds like he had a pretty good blind since you couldn't find it till he showed it to you. Also sounds like you approached him first looking for trouble. What do you mean by he didn't know the orange and quitting time law??? Do you think it is against the law to wear orange when you don't have to??? Do you think it is against the law to quit early??? Or mabey you think it is against the law to talk on the phone in the woods..Sounds like the guy could of had been more courtous in the woods but did nothing illegal. You on the other hand went out of your way to make trouble.... Just sayin
    post edited by rollcaster - 2009/08/21 12:34:32
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/21 15:24:28 (permalink)
    Sometimes the "moral" code which was comrpramised is far worse thane the "legal" code. Dissrespect between hunters is just ignorant.  The hunters that put alot of time, effort and money are very passionate in what they do.   Those of who that are dedicated outdoorsmoan get PO When you exhaust all your skills and then have a slob ruin your efforts.

270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/21 16:12:21 (permalink)
    roll, how can you stik up for a ignorant hunter unless you might be him..you see a guy in a tree, you go to another area like sportsman do..did not say anything about legal, just morally..he was ignorant and if you don't think so, so be it..let someone do it to y ou..and see how you cry and wine..why would youcall me and my friends crazy?????...what evidence do you have of that..
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/21 16:27:44 (permalink)
    Dude wasn't me I have not hunted for two years now. Not worth it anymore. I like to fish more. Sorry for the crazy comment, I think you just went out of your way to get him back thats all. As far as it happening to me, I think it happened to all of us at one time or another.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    RE: who should leave 2009/08/22 13:24:28 (permalink)
    glad you see it that way, because if i waded down in front of you in your favorite trout hole, its legal, but i am sure you would say something other than "catchin any"..if more people stood up to ignorant hunters because some of them don't even know that they are ingorant, maybe we would all have it better, hunting and fishing..yes, i did go out of my way, but he needed to hear it.words only,..some people don't take to that, look what happened in wisconsin a few years ago..mass murder in the woods over a tree stand..
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: