Permission...DENIED!

Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/13 22:03:52 (permalink)

Permission...DENIED!

I went to a nearby farm to ask permission to hunt there and for the first time ever, I was denied. He gave two reasons: His insurance company told him hunters would need some sort of special insurance (pretty sure landowners cant be held liable for injuries to hunters on their land unless money has changed hands), AND four guys leased his ground. This is the first time I've ever heard of leasing so close to home. While it sort of sickens me, particularly since this ground is marginal deer hunting ground at best-(I wanted permission because it is close to home and borders two properties that I do have permission to hunt), I dont blame the land owner. If it was my ground,and someone was willing to pay to hunt there, I'd take the money too.

Dont think that just because a piece of ground is not prime hunting land with B and C bucks all over it, that someone wont be willing to pay to hunt there.

At any rate, the conversation was cordial and he told me where his borders are. He even pointed me to a nearby landowner who was willing to let people on his ground. He was as nice as can be, except I cant hunt his ground.

17 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/14 01:21:52 (permalink)
    Gets harder every year....for one reason or another. Justifiable....and not so much.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/15 15:21:45 (permalink)
    "AND four guys leased his ground."

This MAKES him liable. If he allowed them, or you hunt, without charge, he would NOT be.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/15 15:24:16 (permalink)
    When I think of leasing I picture a strip of woods along a river in the midwest, or some Ohio farm with big food plots and 130 class bucks running around. Looking at this ground I was interested in hunting, the word "lease" would never have entered my mind. It's mostly fields, which are cut once a year or so, but not planted to crops. There are houses all around and a major highway is nearby. The main reason I wanted permission was that one of my stands is very close to the property line....
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/15 15:26:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

This MAKES him liable. If he allowed them, or you hunt, without charge, he would NOT be.

That was my understanding. But I didn't bother to try to tell him that because once he said someone was leasing the ground, I knew I wouldn't be hunting there.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/15 17:13:51 (permalink)
    Unfortunatly leasing has worked its way up from the south. When we hunted Texas if you didn't have a lease to hunt,you had to pay to hunt, because public land was hard to find & what was there was either overhunted & or not worth hunting. We have had it very good in Penna. for a long time,but I fear that is coming to a close.I can't blame the landowners for taking the easy money & probably less problems by leasing thier land. What ****es me off, is the hunters & clubs that post thier property, then go to public property to shoot does because they want to build up the herd on thier property. IMO that is GREED.  sam
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/15 19:22:28 (permalink)

Not if the leasee's carry their own liability insurance, which is pretty common now.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/18 15:12:10 (permalink)
    Hah! Getting denied once? How about the fact that it is pretty much impossible to get permission to any decent deer hunting land anywhere within an hour of my residence. I gave up asking permission around here, after getting constant denials. EVERY SINGLE PLACE my father and I used to deer hunt now leases land out to downstate and NJ hunters or is owned by PETA nuts. Even my only living relative leases out her orchard to downstate hunters. I am not willing to dish out the thousands it takes to lease decent property.

I decided to start working the 1.5 acres behind my house (which I had never considered due to its size) and in 2 years of work, I am now consistantly getting mature bucks on my little corner of woods and in fact harvested a very large 4.5 YO buck last fall, my largest deer to date, and saw 5 other seperate bucks over the course of the season. It gets boring sitting in the same stand every day, but I usually try to break it up by spending poor weather days still hunting on public land.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/18 16:14:59 (permalink)
    They should just do like they have done to the guys that have posted their properties along the tribs and charge people to fish. They changed the way their ground is assessed, it's now "resort" property and the tax bill has increased as much as 10 fold.

I decided a long time ago that if I had to pay a few hundred to hunt a piece of ground it wouldn't be in PA and I wouldn't be hunting white tails, at least nothing less than a trophy.

Guys started this leasing stuff thinking they were the cats**** wait till the prices get to the point that only the well to do are hunting and see how they feel then. I've already seen some nice ground, that was leased for cheap, get taken away at the end of the lease because someone was willing to pay 5 times what the original lease was. Bottom line is, if you want to be sure of a place to hunt BUY SOME PROPERTY!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/19 11:25:33 (permalink)
    I saw the biggest buck I ever saw with my own 2 eyes a week or 2 ago. He was walking into a small woodlot/farm that covers maybe 100 acres. It was a nice 12 with a split brow Tine. I'm going with a friend that I got into bowhunting last year, to ask permission to hunt there. I'm not going to hunt there but figure I'm a little better at approaching this kind of thing and could maybe help him get a foot in the door.

It would be great for him to kill this buck.....or even see it while he's bowhunting. Im sure he'd be hooked for life.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/19 23:30:28 (permalink)
    Brian,

It would still depend on how the policy was written, and what happened. The insurer may pay the hunter's claim, yet go back to the landowner to recover the payout.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/23 00:10:24 (permalink)
    I cant see myself ever paying hundreds or thousands of dollars to hunt in Pennsylvania. If hunting really becomes "pay to play", I will have a lot more time for fishing, I guess.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/23 10:13:43 (permalink)
    got booted out of the area around panama ny last year because the area was now leased. been going to this same spot for 12 yrs. and it was killer. the interesting thing were the posted signs that were now up in that area. they had the name of an internet leasing company on them. when i got home i checked out the email address, and sure enough this is a huge business nation wide. the company will lease your land to hunters for you all over the u.s. us regular guys don't stand a chance.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/27 09:11:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

I went to a nearby farm to ask permission to hunt there and for the first time ever, I was denied. He gave two reasons: His insurance company told him hunters would need some sort of special insurance (pretty sure landowners cant be held liable for injuries to hunters on their land unless money has changed hands), AND four guys leased his ground. This is the first time I've ever heard of leasing so close to home. While it sort of sickens me, particularly since this ground is marginal deer hunting ground at best-(I wanted permission because it is close to home and borders two properties that I do have permission to hunt), I dont blame the land owner. If it was my ground,and someone was willing to pay to hunt there, I'd take the money too.

Dont think that just because a piece of ground is not prime hunting land with B and C bucks all over it, that someone wont be willing to pay to hunt there.

At any rate, the conversation was cordial and he told me where his borders are. He even pointed me to a nearby landowner who was willing to let people on his ground. He was as nice as can be, except I cant hunt his ground.

Were these four guys the ones who's tree stands you've been using with out their permission?
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/27 09:20:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deadfishred

Hah! Getting denied once? How about the fact that it is pretty much impossible to get permission to any decent deer hunting land anywhere within an hour of my residence. I gave up asking permission around here, after getting constant denials. EVERY SINGLE PLACE my father and I used to deer hunt now leases land out to downstate and NJ hunters or is owned by PETA nuts. Even my only living relative leases out her orchard to downstate hunters. I am not willing to dish out the thousands it takes to lease decent property.

I decided to start working the 1.5 acres behind my house (which I had never considered due to its size) and in 2 years of work, I am now consistantly getting mature bucks on my little corner of woods and in fact harvested a very large 4.5 YO buck last fall, my largest deer to date, and saw 5 other seperate bucks over the course of the season. It gets boring sitting in the same stand every day, but I usually try to break it up by spending poor weather days still hunting on public land.

Smart man. You're being adaptable. The parcel I've been hunting close to home just got sold to a developer. It may be a couple of years before they do anything with it, but I can't justify any time or money to do the things I've done there in the past to improve my chances. I'm on 11.5 acres and am surrounded by non-hunters. The bucks in my yard every night aren't that big, but I'm sure there's one or two close by that haven't shown themselves yet.

SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/27 10:13:15 (permalink)
    What we do to beat "NO" where to hunt!Wait till the second week when all the Jersy guys are back home.Then we group up and drive all the woods.We usually end up getting alot of deer this way,and not see another hunter to kick ya off!!!
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/27 14:37:15 (permalink)

Brian,

It would still depend on how the policy was written, and what happened. The insurer may pay the hunter's claim, yet go back to the landowner to recover the payout.

Most groups of Hunters that have leases form "sportsmans clubs" very easy to do and relatively cheap to get insurance for. I have relatives with very good lawyers who lease land, lots of it and they will only lease to these groups of "sportsmans clubs" and there is a certain type of liability Insurance the "clubs" must carry in order to do so. Total cost to the "sportsman clubs" about 100$ in initial fees and less than 100$ a year for up to twenty guys.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Permission...DENIED! 2009/08/28 00:13:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

Were these four guys the ones who's tree stands you've been using with out their permission?

No sir, I haven't been hunting on the land I didn't have permission to hunt on, so I cant even say if they have treestands or not.
    Jump to: