New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ----

Author
Dr Trout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/13 14:46:25 (permalink)

New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ----

HARRISBURG – Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe today encouraged experienced hunters, who have historically helped pass along the state’s rich hunting heritage, to consider introducing youths to hunting through the Mentored Youth Hunting Program (MYHP).

“Since 2006, Pennsylvania’s hunters have been taking advantage of a remarkable opportunity to introduce those under the age of 12 to hunting through the Mentored Youth Hunting Program,” Roe said.  “Hunting is deeply woven into the cultural fabric that is Pennsylvania, and it is important that we recruit new hunters to carry on this tradition.”

Roe noted that the logic behind the Mentored Youth Hunting Program is simple and clear: create expanded youth hunting opportunities without compromising safety afield.

“This program paves the way for youngsters to nurture their interest in hunting early and allows them to take a more active role in actual hunting while afield with mentoring adults,” Roe said. “The program accommodates hands-on use of sporting arms and can promote a better understanding and interest in hunting and wildlife conservation that will help to assure hunting’s future, as well as reinforce the principles of hunting safely through the close supervision provided by dedicated mentors.”

Under the program, a mentor is defined as a properly licensed individual at least 21 years of age, who will serve as a guide to a youth while engaged in hunting or related activities, such as scouting, learning firearms or hunter safety and wildlife identification.  A mentored youth is identified as an unlicensed individual less than 12 years of age who is accompanied by a mentor while engaged in hunting or related activities.

The regulations require that the mentor-to-mentored youth ratio be one-to-one, and that the pair possesses only one sporting arm when hunting.  While moving, the sporting arm must be carried by the mentor.  When the pair reaches a stationary hunting location, the mentor may turn over possession of the sporting arm to the youth and must keep the youth within arm’s length at all times.

New this year is the requirement that all mentored youth obtain a permit through the Game Commission’s new Pennsylvania Automated License System (PALS), which costs $2.70.  Of that fee, one dollar goes to the Game Commission, one dollar goes to the issuing agent who processes the permit application, and 70 cents goes to the company managing PALS.

“When we first started the MYHP, we didn’t require a permit because there was no method available to issue a permit without creating an enormous obstacle for participants,” Roe said.  “With the full roll-out of our electronic license sale system this year, we can provide a method for adult mentors to enable youth to obtain a permit without too many difficulties.

“By implementing the permit for the MYHP, we will be able to start gathering data about the level of participation in this program, which can be used to assist in better planning and scheduling our basic Hunter-Trapper Education courses.  This database of MYHP participants will let us know how many young hunters are approaching 11 years of age, and where they live, so that we can make sure the number of courses we are offering will meet the expected demand.”

Currently, the agency has used its annual Game-Take Survey to estimate the level of participation in the MYHP.  According to the agency’s annual Game-Take Surveys, participation in the MYHP has increased in terms of adult mentors and youths.  In 2006, the first year of the program, 43,780 youths were mentored by 32,913 adults.  That year, the mentored youths harvested 52,788 squirrels and 36,351 woodchucks.  In 2007, the number of mentored youth grew to 58,883, and there were 51,141 adult mentors.  That year, mentored youths harvested 61,160 squirrels, 52,114 groundhogs, 5,199 antlered deer and 3,496 spring gobblers.

The species identified as legal game for the upcoming license year are woodchucks (groundhogs), squirrels, spring gobbler, coyotes and antlered deer.  Those youths participating in the MYHP are required to follow the same antler restrictions as a junior license holder, which is one antler of three or more inches in length or one antler with at least two points.  Antlerless deer are not legal game for participating MYHP youth.

The program also requires that both the mentor and the youth must abide by any fluorescent orange regulations, and that the mentored youth must tag and report any antlered deer or spring gobbler taken.  As part of the MYHP permit, youth will be provided the necessary harvest tags for antlered deer and spring gobbler. 

The youth must submit a harvest report card, which is available as inserts in the 2009-10 Pennsylvania Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations, within five days for any antlered deer or spring gobbler he or she takes.  Harvest report cards also are available in the “Forms & Programs” section of the agency’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us).

For more information on the program, visit the Game Commission’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) and click on “Mentored Youth FAQs” in “Quick Clicks” box in the upper right corner of the homepage.  Information also is included on page 13 of the 2009-10 Pennsylvania Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations.

To continue hunting once a youth reaches the age of 12, they will need to and pass a basic Hunter-Trapper Education course and purchase either a junior hunting license or a junior combination license.  For a listing of HTE courses, visit the Game Commission’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) and click on the “Hunter Education Classes” link in the center of the homepage.

post edited by Dr Trout - 2009/08/13 14:47:46

25 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 15:12:09 (permalink)
    I like the program, and can't wait until I can take my boy out. (he's only 2 1/2 now) I think I'll wait a year or 3.

That said, I don't understand why they won't allow the mentored youth to tag a doe...especially with all the bonus tags they give out. I'd be more than happy to transfer my doe tag to my boy & let him bag the doe for us. Just seems like they should get every opportunity. And I know he'd be a lot more excited about getting a doe than me.

I'm just sayin.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 15:46:16 (permalink)
    I hate to admit it but I wasn't a big fan of the way the MYHP was designed..
    Seemed to ripe for abuse here in amish country in this old curmudgeons eyes..
    There was no revenue gain which they desperately need...

Now before you all tar and feather me...
    I've had a couple nine year olds open up my eyes as to what it can mean to our sport..
    Both these boys are 9, they both hunt and fish, and they already have deer hunting stories to tell at nine...
    The one young man is so hopped up for archery season he can't sit still.
    Practices with his compound bow from a tree stand almost every night..

If the program could work like this then I guess I have to overlook the scabs that may take advantage and look at the bigger good for the sport....
    Glad to see they have to pay a little for a tag..They need the income..

One solution I always thought might work was to lower the age limit..
    If you can pass the HSC then you could be a full time hunter not just being able to participate in a few select seasons allowed for MYHP..Also would give the youth at least a smattering of safety instruction just in case the Mentor is a slob hunter and knows nothing of safety and ethics himself..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 16:14:30 (permalink)
    I am missing the boat on this one(I think).  Can I take my 6yr. old son with me waterfowling for the sake of spending time together?  Can he blow a goose call, set dekes, etc. but no gun.   Getting  little confused with this in how there are defining the program.
    Dr Trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 16:18:30 (permalink)
    keep in mind that the PGC is "talking" about allowing a "using" the adult 's antlerless tag for a mentored youth to use for a harvested doe maybe some time in the future ...

If you like the idea send your thoughts to either the PGC or the Board of commissioners...

do you want to have it they they can shoot either ???

right now it's like an extra  buck harvest...  adult can get a buck and so can the mentored youth on the same license and now permit...

surely you do not want to allow the adult and a mentored youth BOTH to shoot an antlerless  deer off the same license /permit ???

allowing the mentored youth to use the adults' "doe tag" will cause fewer mentored youths to harvest a deer... because not everyone that wants a doe tag gets one ...  if the adult does not get drawn for a tag the mentored youth would be out of luck...  unless you allow both sexes to be harvested..

the way it is every mentored youth in the state has a chance for a buck deer if they have an adult that will take them hunting..and now there is just a small fee for a permit to do that..
    post edited by Dr Trout - 2009/08/13 16:20:34
    Dr Trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 16:26:37 (permalink)
    It's my understanding you can take your 6 year old son "waterfowling".. (spending time together)
    He can not and may not particpate in the hunt...i.e. setting dekes,, blowing a call, shooting,  retreving etc.....
    and must be immediately at your hands.... He can sit there and enjoy the outdoors and your company,

The mentored youth program allows youngsters that age to actually particapte in the hunt and harvest certain game animals, which I highlighted by bold print. BUT still must be by your side... and under your control.
    post edited by Dr Trout - 2009/08/13 16:29:08
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 19:47:40 (permalink)
    Dr. Trout -

Where did you find that at in the Hunting & Trapping Digest about kids on a waterfowl hunt? I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.

The only mention of non-hunters participating/observing the hunt has to do with driving deer or bears. And it is now legal (with certain restrictions) whereas it used to be illegal.

Hummer, I take my kids waterfowling all the time. They are 8 & 5. They help me set dekes and I allow them to blow the calls during down times. If that's wrong or illegal, I have yet to see written proof of it.

Dr. Trout is correct though that under the new mentored youth hunt, that an unlicensed youth under age 12 CANNOT shoot on a waterfowl hunt. Only certain species: groundhogs, coyotes, spring gobbler, squirrels and bucks.

Go here: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&q=176550
    And then click on the Youth Hunting Opportunities download. There is just a copy of what you get in the regs book if you have one already.
    Dr Trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 20:41:33 (permalink)
    The only mention of non-hunters participating/observing the hunt has to do with driving deer or bears. And it is now legal (with certain restrictions) whereas it used to be illegal.

that pretty much shows what I said...

except as mentioned and the new law..

As I said....  it is illgeal for ANYONE to participate in hunting without a license or the new permit for mentored youth.

you pointed out the exception ...

page 16 --- hunting Digest for 2009 -

General Hunting Regulations --

License Required: It is unlawful to hunt or trap without first obtaining required hunting or trapping licenses.

NOTE.. it does not say except little kids with parents or adult..

HUNTING as defined by the PGC in the game and wildlife code ---

Any act or furtherance of the taking or killing of any game or wildlife, or any part or product thereof, and includes, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, chasing, tracking, CALLING, pursuing, lying in wait, trapping, shooting at or wounding with any weapon or implement, or using any personal property, including dogs, or property of others, of any nature, in furtherance of any of these purposes, or AIDING,abetting or conspiruing with another person in that purpose...

NOt getting in any debate here with anyone..

folks can read and believe or follow whom ever they want...

just stating what the code and regulations are... and I know my local WCOs enforces.........
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 20:53:45 (permalink)
    Any WCO that would bust a kid for helping the old man set dekes or lying in wait in a blind is an ahole..

Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 21:15:00 (permalink)
    Bings, I agree. However, setting dekes, blowing a call or even retrieving a downed bird is an active participant and If Im not mistaken Illegal.  Thats the fine line that is screwed up. just my opinion.  Theres a enforcer in my neck of the woods that would be glad to cite that violation.
    Dr Trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 21:20:59 (permalink)
    Hummer 82..

thanks for the reply...   the regs is all I was stating.. opinions about WCOs is up to every one individually.. but the ones around here would BUST ya.. too..

so there must be alot of them that enforces the regs as written...

just look at the recent mess about turkey blinds.......  LOL

notice bings did not say anything about blowin a call though...
    post edited by Dr Trout - 2009/08/13 21:22:45
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 21:32:29 (permalink)
    Dr. Trout -

I will eat my humble pie.

Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 21:36:40 (permalink)
    Your right, I was not quoting him but simply stating that would be included in the no no catagory.   Alot of fun a kid can have if all they can do is just sit, freeze, and stay quiet.  Although as a parent there a many things you can do to keep them entertained. 
    Dr Trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/13 22:14:26 (permalink)
    Alot of fun a kid can have if all they can do is just sit, freeze, and stay quiet

that's what makes the mentored youth program a great thing...

while groundhog hunting may not be on the top of my list of favorite things to do .. If I had a young child I would definitely think about doing it... it may even open a door to permission to hunt some farmers land by allowing a child and adult to shoot groundhogs that may be giving him trouble and odds are he would even help you find them.... and it would be entertaining for a youngster as would squirrel hunting for sure !!

waterfowl hunting in bad weather would not even be enjoyable for me
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/14 01:18:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Any WCO that would bust a kid for helping the old man set dekes or lying in wait in a blind is an ahole..

I agree...and will pay the ticket.....twice.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/14 13:38:41 (permalink)
    I'm not questioning the law..
    Any participation is illegal...
    The WCO around here would write up the kid and the adult..

But I would think a WCO could better stop the illegal activity by issuing a warning as this doesn't seem to be that egregious of an offense to me...

You bust that kid at age 6- 12 and you might loose him to hunting forever..You can bet the old man wouldn't have a good thing to say about the PGC to the kid.

The fined a kid here for turning himself in..Never understood it..
    This young man had shot a 6 point buck, he thought it was a 7 point but missed a point in the heat of battle.
    He broke the law..Now what does he do...
    Step-Dad said gut it tag it take it home we will eat it...end of story..
    No the young man wanted to do the right thing so he called the local WCO and told him what happened.
    He came over took the deer wrote the kid up for shooting an illegal deer, and was working on trying to fine stepdad for having the deer at his home..They said they would sell the horns back to him for 10 bucks a point..

To me this is another example of how they may have to think a little instead of living by the letter of the law..
    By the way that kid hasn't hunted since, nor his brother or stepdad..They(PGC) did make $75 on the fine though...

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/14 14:17:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

..They said they would sell the horns back to him for 10 bucks a point..

And people wonder why my opinion of the PGC has been on a steady downward spiral....that's enough to make me want to quit hunting and all I did was read it here...unreal!

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/14 15:35:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr Trout

Alot of fun a kid can have if all they can do is just sit, freeze, and stay quiet

that's what makes the mentored youth program a great thing...

while groundhog hunting may not be on the top of my list of favorite things to do .. If I had a young child I would definitely think about doing it... it may even open a door to permission to hunt some farmers land by allowing a child and adult to shoot groundhogs that may be giving him trouble and odds are he would even help you find them.... and it would be entertaining for a youngster as would squirrel hunting for sure !!

waterfowl hunting in bad weather would not even be enjoyable for me

Don't get me wrong the mentor program is a great thing.  However, I believe when your waterfowling a kid should be allowed to set dekes, blow calls, waive a goose flag, etc.. which are enjoyable parts of a hunt for a youngster.   IMO, the Only difference with the youth program is that the child is permitted to shoot the animal.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/17 00:35:14 (permalink)
    Also remember, as Dr. Trout pointed out,  discussion is being held about allowing a mentored youth to use the mentor's doe tag.  Not that they both could shoot a doe (only one harvested per legal tag, but if you had one and wanted to let a kid fill it you could.)  We need to jump on any PGC commissioners we can contact and let them know this is a good Idea.  It would not limit them as they could still harvest a buck, but it would open more opportunities for success for them.  If you are going to hammer some does, then I can think of no better cause that to allow a young person to do so.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Dr Trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/17 09:26:56 (permalink)
    I have sent a couple E-mail's to the PGC this morning to get a few questions answerered about the new permit for my sportmans' meeting on Wednesday that I can NOT find answers for..... I'll share the answers here...

BTW.. I was in Pgh most of last week, my Mom passed away at 90.. I did hear this about the waterfowl stuff from a PGC person...

calling, retreiving, shooting are acts of particapation (hunting)...  setting decoys and sitting in the blind.. "not so much"..

HE said HE felt not many WCOs would set fines for sitting in the blind or helping with decoys.. but that other may 

also stated that the main problem the PGC has had with this young people envolvement is in deer and bear hunting... using youngster under 12 to drive deer or bear to standers...

so that is why you have to be a licensed hunter to work on deer or bear drives....

This approach seems to be the majority view from the PGC that I have heard lately, BUT all agree there could be some who look at it differently...     
    post edited by Dr Trout - 2009/08/17 09:28:17
    Dr Trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/17 09:53:34 (permalink)
    Sorry guys.. but I have to love my friends at the PGC.. received answers already...

Here's some of the questions....  who's permit is it.. the adult to take a child.. the childs..... the moms ..the dads..  what if divorced ??

what if dad does want the kid to go with ex-wife's brother, if I buy a permit can I take diferent kids during the the season ??etc etc..

Here's the answer...

the permit belongs to the child.. 4 kids.. you need 4 different permits... one for each mentored youth individually...  the permit goes afield with the child and whomever is the mentor adult.

One nice addition to the permit process is that it gives the PGC a method to "track" the youth and they (PGC) can then follow his /her age and promote the HTE program when the child becomes of age ( 11 years old to attend)... 

so maybe this info will answer questions someone here has had about the new permit...
    Dr Trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/17 09:59:10 (permalink)
    opppps.. forgot this point..

With the use of the permit the PGC will be able to track to see if maybe because of the mentored youth program the child actually grows up and stays in the sport of hunting, thus proving the program was succesful at promoting/recruiting for the sport of hunting..
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/17 13:57:06 (permalink)
    Sounds like the PGC could be doing something right..

When does flying pig season open..

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/17 18:13:02 (permalink)
    they are doing something right, collecting valuable data, and a side bonus.

My 7 year old was so proud he wanted to burst when we went and got his permit, he has been showing everyone, "His hunting License"

Dr Trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/17 18:28:12 (permalink)
    Sounds like he is off to a great start Musky..

Just think ..last year I believe mentored youth harvest over 5,000 bucks...  this year they will know how many hunters (permits) there were and the PGC  can get a success rate for mentored youths.. that will be interesting to see....

WOW ... guys here saying something good about the PGC...

thought I'd never see that day again..   
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: New for Mentored Youth Program for 2009 ---- 2009/08/17 23:05:52 (permalink)
    They do some things well !!

Jump to: