Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Screamin Steel
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 246
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/11 17:03:26 (permalink)

minnows under a float

Would using a proper shot setup be as critical...or get you more fish when using minnows under a float? Seems to me the fish are used to seeing minnows swim every direction including straight upstream, and hit out of aggression and opportunity as much as hunger. No doubt the right weight/ drift is critical on eggs and other small inanimate offerings, but what are your thoughts on minnows?

33 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 17:19:33 (permalink)
    I may get gut punched for this.....

I think you guys give the fish too much credit. I've fished minnows/skein/whatevercrapiwant under a float...sent it packin'...and really never had to adjust anything more than depth. Either I'm a fish magnet...or they're stoopid. Maybe vice versa

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 17:50:26 (permalink)
    Agreed

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 18:02:30 (permalink)
    The only time I worry about split shot is when the current is very fast, other than that I don't think it's a huge factor.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 18:03:17 (permalink)
    I'd use pretty much the same set up if I'm float fishing...even with live minnows.  Maybe just a little less weight down toward the offering.  HOWEVER, I have not yet found the need to use live minnows while packing my hand tied egg sacs or jigs

Weight and rigging may not be a factor for some and thats fine...it sure is a factor for me, always.  I'm curious to know what a good steelhead fishing day is on the creeks for some of you....5 fish?  8 fish?  10 fish? or 20?  
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/08/11 18:07:33

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 18:56:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

I'd use pretty much the same set up if I'm float fishing...even with live minnows.  Maybe just a little less weight down toward the offering.  HOWEVER, I have not yet found the need to use live minnows while packing my hand tied egg sacs or jigs

Weight and rigging may not be a factor for some and thats fine...it sure is a factor for me, always.  I'm curious to know what a good steelhead fishing day is on the creeks for some of you....5 fish?  8 fish?  10 fish? or 20?  

I agree shut.   Weight and rigging is always a factor for me too. I t all depends on the water conditions. That is the determinating factor on what type of rig im going to use.

For me I enjoy just fishing for dem dare steelies. If I hook one Im happy, everthing else is a bonus for the day. Although I have had double digit catch days. Those are the days when you just throw everything at em and they take it.
    To sum it all up , if I have a 6 fish catch day its been decent to good. Mostly depends on how hard I work for it. Fishing with a friend sometimes it doesnt matter if I catch em , just BS'in and wetting a line works too.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 20:36:54 (permalink)
    See this is where Slick and I disagree. I personally go to bed at night and try to figure out what the fish is thinking. Do fish have brains?
    On a serious note, my old man likes to use submersible clear bobbers for his float. He can adjust the bobber with the bait and put it into the depth he his trying to achieve.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 20:40:57 (permalink)
    In response to Shutupnfish; A good steelie day for me is when I can get 1 fish to bite any of my offerings, dont necesarily have to land em.............
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 20:43:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

I may get gut punched for this.....

I think you guys give the fish too much credit. I've fished minnows/skein/whatevercrapiwant under a float...sent it packin'...and really never had to adjust anything more than depth. Either I'm a fish magnet...or they're stoopid. Maybe vice versa

I think you just have that effect on the fish
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 21:35:48 (permalink)
    Amazingly....I have the opposite effect on people...go figure.

I choose Little Cleos

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 22:00:04 (permalink)
    A good day is when I get there and fish. Anything beyond that is all bonus. I've had had three fish days and thought it was great and I've had 30 fish days and felt a little disappointed I didn't get 40. All a state of mind at the time.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 22:10:58 (permalink)
    IMO the only time minnows are necessary on the Erie tribs are in gin clear low water conditions.  If you are using any weight or a float at all youre doing it wrong...  and if its warm make it fatheads.  

As far as pattering shot goes, we're fishing small streams...  Don't make this harder than it has to be.  Clamp some shot on a foot or so above your offering and make sure you mend your float.  You'll be fine...  For the record, centerpin fishing PA tribs is a joke.

-Tim 
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 22:38:22 (permalink)
      For the record, centerpin fishing PA tribs is a joke.

-Tim 

Agreed.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 22:57:58 (permalink)
    minnows under a float drifted thru a pack of suspended  (read tip lipped)  steel can be deadly
    almost like cheatin'!.... "IF" the minnow is LIVELY and drifted at fish eye level thru the school

weight is necessary for a LIVELY fathead or it will swim right to the top in TERROR and pass right over the steel

the LIVELY minnow (fatheads are best cause they don't die after the first cast) must be at fish eye level.
     or suspended steelies won't pay it no mind
    They're not biting out of hunger, they'll attack it if LIVELY cause it pi$$es 'em off that a little pip squeak would dare enter their "zone"

don't keep tossing a dead minnow if you're dead drifting the frog water under a float
    and if the minnow swimming to the surface (and it will  if  LIVELY when it gets close to steel) you have to some weight to keep it in the zone

..l.T.A.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 23:06:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishrmn

-Tim 

that tickled 

(not that i care what a Lad or Lass uses)

..L.T.A.

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 23:35:43 (permalink)
    No dissrespect to anyone...I'm just sayin'

ORIGINAL

IMO the only time minnows are necessary on the Erie tribs are in gin clear low water conditions.  If you are using any weight or a float at all youre doing it wrong...  

Untrue.....Depends on conditions. There's no "wrong" way to stick em. It's so easy a caveman could do it. For the record....All the "fishing" for Erie steel is a joke. Thousands of fish locked in a bathtub. I've used weight, bobbers, and everythang in between...with pretty good success. JMO

They're not biting out of hunger, they'll attack it if LIVELY cause it pi$$es 'em off that a little pip squeak would dare enter their "zone"

While not popular with some of yinz....I do this with spoons....nothing like seein one run to the side of the hole to cream an invader....in low, clear conditions...again jmo.

I choose Little Cleos

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/11 23:42:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Wally Cat

A good day is when I get there and fish. Anything beyond that is all bonus. I've had had three fish days and thought it was great and I've had 30 fish days and felt a little disappointed I didn't get 40. All a state of mind at the time.

+1

I choose Little Cleos

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 00:25:53 (permalink)
    Just my opinion but I catch twice as many fish without weight or a float in those conditions...  don't have much of problem with minnows swimming to the top after the first cast or two.  I'd rather work from fish to fish than drift a float through pods(boring).  Not saying that you wont catch fish on minnows in other conditions, but half the reason I use them is to watch the strike...  Also not claiming to be any kind of minnow fishing expert, thats just my expierence with them.  I'll stick to jigs in clear flow most of the time anyways.

As far as PA steelheading being a joke...  I completely agree that it is un-natural for thousands of fish to be cramed into shale drainage ditchs...  But is it fun to catch them?  Yes.  Still not making any argument against my statement that centerpinning the PA tribs is a joke.

-Tim
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 09:44:15 (permalink)
    "Not saying that you wont catch fish on minnows in other conditions, but half the reason I use them is to watch the strike...  Also not claiming to be any kind of minnow fishing expert, thats just my expierence with them."

"If you are using any weight or a float at all youre doing it wrong... "

I'm confused....first, you say that if anyone is using weight or a float above a minny, they're doing it all wrong.  In the next sentence, you say you're no minny fishing expert? 

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 09:54:29 (permalink)
    I believe what he is saying is that when the water is low and clear, then flatlining minnows would be the best tactic to employ....when the water is deeper and the fish are stacked, then a float would be more appropriate.  When the fish are in shallow water How can you pin in 7 inches?  There is a time and a place for the centerpin, Erie when it is low and clear is not one of them.  That's what I never understood why guys use them, but that's just me.  
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 10:05:02 (permalink)
    Leave the minnow bucket at home. Use the right jigs and use them properly and you'll have more fish inhaling them then you could ever have on a minnow. One of the few times a live minnow cannot duplicate the action of a lure designed after its likeness. The right jig will not only have you catching 40 fish when everyone else is catching 40 fish, but it will have you catching 30 fish when everyone else is catching 3. Then your jig box becomes worth more than every bucket of minnows on every creek in Erie.

To answer your question, when I did fish minnows shot didn't matter much unless you are fishing a deeper hole...dont want the minnow swimming in the top foot of water when fish are holding 4-5. Sometimes no shot is required at all for minnows. Sometimes no float. Single eggs and flies however depth becomes your friend, so controlling it exactly will keep you in fish. If you can change the depth with a float and shot buy mere inches, you're going to be hooking up all day.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 10:10:15 (permalink)
    Pin fishing is a method used in primarily deeper pools and long runs.  Its NOT a fly reel or anywhere close to that method, so a pinner/float fisherman would never even think to fish in 7" of water anyway.  The ONLY time I'd pull the pin out to fish Elk is when the crowds are down and I can effectively fish certain areas of the stream.  That should tell you that I use it very seldom on Elk.  I started centerpin fishing last year, but have been using the same techniques float fishing with my spinning reel and a noodle for years.  There ARE some nice runs on Elk for a pinner, so making a claim that its a joke in PA tribs is a bit extreme if you ask me...especially when I've seen the method outproduce anyone else on a given area of stream many times.  I personally am still more comfortable with the control of the spinning reel, but am still experimenting with this new and intriguing method of fishing. 

Honestly, I think using minnows is more of a joke on the streams than using a pin....BUT I'll put it in a nicer way...its less necessary.  the only reason I for-see using minnows would be times when the water is stained and higher where scent and movement are more needed to attract the fish to hit.  Minnows are great, don't get me wrong, but theres really NO need to get your hands wet in freezing temps with minnies when you can simply tie on a jig or sac which are, IMO, as effective if not more (most of the time).  When I need scent, an egg sac does the trick and different colors work in different water clarities.  Also the jigs size and colors....all you need.  I have yet to ever see someone using minnows slaying fish when everyone else around was not.  As far as the method of how one chooses to fish for steel....doesn't matter to me how, as long as you're courteous to others around you on the stream.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/08/12 11:12:06

carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 11:18:27 (permalink)
    I love doin it with paper weight spoons!!!!!
    Then you have BLUE POWER BAIT???
    joewallguy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 11:54:14 (permalink)
    20 hookups is about the average day. Some way better, some worse.. Always looking for that triple didgit.

NOTHING out fishes good eggs

at the lake front, 'WE" slam the steel on Gulp minnows. As good or better than the LIVELY ones. Not LIVLEY at all (Oh yeah, on my centerpin)

Did someone say these fish were stupid? DING< DING< DING
    post edited by joewallguy - 2009/08/12 11:57:39
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 14:45:49 (permalink)
    shutup,

I know what a pin is...  I've had a Raven since around 2004, it never sees the light of day on the PA tribs.  I was just trying to get a rise out of someone with my comment on them being a joke...  As long as some duud isnt drifting a float 20 yds past me I can care less what tactic you use.

As far as minnows go...  I'd agree with Genie that it's almost like cheating in low and clear.  Minnows in highwater is pointless, use a sac or somethin bro.  The idea is to **** the fish off with the minnow.  It's been my expierence that I have outfished people about 5 to 1 in EXTREME low conditions without any weight or a float.  Alot of times the float would spook the fish...  and the weight is not needed on the count that there is no flow.  Cold hands are not an issue when its 60-70 degrees out in September and October (pretty much the only time I use minnows).

-Tim

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 15:23:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

We'e been thru this number thing before
    A good enough day is one fish
    a great day is 50
    a really great day would be 100 [altho I've yet to land more than 60 or so

getting back to the bobber split shot question:
    the amount of shot is determined by the size of the float
    each size float needs x amount of lead to make it drift right
    for example, the smaller floats [homemade] we use at the Pa. streams take 6 B's, no more, no less      Glen
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 15:45:05 (permalink)
    Tim

Empty ur box, duud
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 16:12:20 (permalink)
    When I take beginers up early in the season, I'll let them use Minnows. Drag free drifts don't seem to be quite as important with Minnows as it is with flies or eggs. It's just one less thing for the beginner to worry about. Besides, they catch steel just as well for me.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 16:21:17 (permalink)
    Adam,

All clear duud.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: minnows under a float 2009/08/12 17:46:09 (permalink)
    Its all good duuds...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: